ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fade between scenes  (Read 5408 times)

Ben Rolfe

Fade between scenes
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:08:21 pm »

I'm looking to purchase a lighting desk that allows fading between scenes.

For example I have 5 scenes, and I want to fade from scene 1 to 4 to 2 to 1 and so on. This is different from a chase which has a predefined sequence.

My maximum budget is 120.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:31:34 pm by benrolfe147 »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Fade between scenes
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:57:26 pm »

Before we can help, please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in numerous locations on this site.  Thanks!

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:26:54 pm »

For example I have 5 scenes, and I want to fade from scene 1 to 4 to 2 to 1 and so on. This is different from a chase which has a predefined sequence.

My maximum budget is 120.

Any suggestions?

This is a tough one, because of poor documentation on many of these low-cost controllers. I just recently made a purchase and ended up with a Magic 260 which also has a master fader. It also has a "fade rate" slider which is what you're looking for. I made a spreadsheet of a bunch of controllers, and tried to identify which ones had fade rate control and other features. Here is my list:

ADJ WLC16 - no
Kontrol 6 - no
Magic 260 - yes
Operator 192 - yes
Operator 384 - ?
Chauvet Stage Designer 50 - ?
Obey 70 - no

FWIW, I've used the Operator 192 and it was fine, but has a limited quantity of scene presets requiring you to hunt through "pages" to activate. Not a bad board for cheap though. Good luck!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:24:39 pm »

Not necessarily - many boards can playback chases at random.  I think some more details would help here.  Are you looking to do just that - automatically playback scenes in random order, manually fade through various scenes in any order, etc.?  What kind of light system are you using this with?

Ben Rolfe

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:06:22 am »

Not necessarily - many boards can playback chases at random.  I think some more details would help here.  Are you looking to do just that - automatically playback scenes in random order, manually fade through various scenes in any order, etc.?  What kind of light system are you using this with?

No, not automatic. I want to manually switch/fade between any of the scenes in any order. For example: switch from scene 1 to 5 to 4 to 2.

I've currently got 6 LED lights. Hope that helps!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 06:46:38 pm »

No, not automatic. I want to manually switch/fade between any of the scenes in any order. For example: switch from scene 1 to 5 to 4 to 2.

I've currently got 6 LED lights. Hope that helps!

Yep, that helps!  The list Steve provided is a good starting point.  Though I'm not a personal fan of the board, the DMX Operator will get the job done.  Just read the manual on any of these boards before buying so that you don't have false expectations or assumptions about their capabilities and then end up being disappointed.  Unfortunately your budget is very much on the small side and if you want a physical board to use, your options are very limited.  If you're patient, you might be able to score a used Elation Show Designer or Magic 260 for a reasonable price - any of which would be superior to the DMX Operator.  Good luck!

Steve Garris

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 01:01:16 pm »

Yep, that helps!  The list Steve provided is a good starting point.  Though I'm not a personal fan of the board, the DMX Operator will get the job done.  Just read the manual on any of these boards before buying so that you don't have false expectations or assumptions about their capabilities and then end up being disappointed.  Unfortunately your budget is very much on the small side and if you want a physical board to use, your options are very limited.  If you're patient, you might be able to score a used Elation Show Designer or Magic 260 for a reasonable price - any of which would be superior to the DMX Operator.  Good luck!

Yes - I was on a tight budget too. I scored the Magic 260 for $180 - Ebay, cosmetically challenged.

Dan Reavey

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 06:17:38 am »

The Magic 260 looks like a step up from the cheap DMX
controllers but after reading the manual, I'm a little confused by the midi control chart.
My Transcension Scene Setter uses midi note but it looks like the Magic 260 uses values.
Not sure if these are CC#.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 02:59:16 pm »

The Magic 260 looks like a step up from the cheap DMX
controllers but after reading the manual, I'm a little confused by the midi control chart.
My Transcension Scene Setter uses midi note but it looks like the Magic 260 uses values.
Not sure if these are CC#.

Sorry, can't help you there. I know nothing about midi - but need to learn it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 02:59:16 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.