ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14 PGX-D wireless systems together?  (Read 4764 times)

Dan Godwin

14 PGX-D wireless systems together?
« on: October 30, 2016, 10:35:41 PM »

I've inherited the job of helping two local community theater groups with their wireless microphones.  The previous person purchased and set them up with two racks, one with 8 PGX-D systems and the other rack with 6 PGX-D systems.  Can someone help me understand the difference between frequency band, group, and channel?  Their goal is to utilize the systems together but I am worried as Shure has noted that up to 5 systems per frequency band, there could be problems.  The user guide states how to set the receivers to different groups or frequencies manually.  Can I put 5 receivers on a group to utilize the 14 systems together?  Thanks in advance.   

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: 14 PGX-D wireless systems together?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »

I'd get Wireless Workbench, and let it rip. See what it suggests.

Definitions:
Frequency= a specific number within a band/group (typically in MHz; the frequency is inversely related to the wavelength. In Amateur Radio world, you'll hear 2meters, 70cm, etc, but in Pro Audio, we always just talk about the frequency. You might hear references to the band; i.e. with PGX-D, the frequency band is Z8, which refers to the 928-whatever MHz tunable range of those systems.)
Frequency group= A preset number of frequencies that have been determined to not offer intermodulation
Group channel= A specific frequency within the frequency group

Unfortunately, there's no option to use antenna combiners with the PGX-D series, otherwise I would suggest that to both clear up an antenna farm and improve wireless reception.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:36:59 AM »

I'd get Wireless Workbench, and let it rip. See what it suggests.

I opened WWB and did not find PGX-D or the X8 band. ???
Ran the numbers in IAS and came up with 11 freqs... 20 when dropping 5ths and TX 3rds.
Shure claims uo to "5 systems" can be used tohether. Are we to assume a "system" is one receiver?
Looks like 14 might be tricky.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:46 AM »

I don't even have WWB or IAS, because we never have huge amounts of wireless.... so I wasn't able to check either of them first before suggesting it. :)

So, Dan, here's a bit more of an overview question- you said you "inherited the job of helping this theatre" -- is there any particular problem you are experiencing now that you are trying to resolve?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Diogo Nunes Pereira

• Barcelona, sometimes...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »

Can I put 5 receivers on a group to utilize the 14 systems together?  Thanks in advance.   

Can you tell us the Bands of all this systems. Usually on Shure gear front panel there's a small print with Band Name and tuning frequency range.

Are all 14 the same band?

Sent from my Xylophone using Tapatalk...

Diogo Nunes Pereira
[email protected]
--------------------------
"I envy not those who own charriots, horses or land. I envy only those who drink water from every fountain." - Popular Song from Portugal

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 10:01:18 AM »

Can you tell us the Bands of all this systems. Usually on Shure gear front panel there's a small print with Band Name and tuning frequency range.

Are all 14 the same band?

Shure PGX-D is all in one band; X8, 902MHz to 928MHz.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Dan Godwin

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 11:24:17 AM »

So, Dan, here's a bit more of an overview question- you said you "inherited the job of helping this theatre" -- is there any particular problem you are experiencing now that you are trying to resolve?

-Ray

Thanks Ray and others. 

I'm just trying to educate myself more than anything.  They were used mostly successfully over the summer with the only issues unrelated (1 transmitter has low output even with the gain on the transmitter up fully.  I assume it needs repair or replacement) to the channel count. I did some reading on the mics and saw the suggestion of 5 systems per band and that conserved me, hence the post. I just was having a hard time understanding and interpreting the terminology.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »

(1 transmitter has low output even with the gain on the transmitter up fully.  I assume it needs repair or replacement)
Possible. I would contact Shure and their applications support group, and see if they agree that the transmitter might need repair. Shure offers a flat rate repair program where you send the unit in for repair, they fix anything that's wrong with it and ship it back, all for one fixed price.

The same people at ASG can let you know if there are any other concerns you should be aware of.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Dan Currie

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »

I've inherited the job of helping two local community theater groups with their wireless microphones.  The previous person purchased and set them up with two racks, one with 8 PGX-D systems and the other rack with 6 PGX-D systems.  Can someone help me understand the difference between frequency band, group, and channel?  Their goal is to utilize the systems together but I am worried as Shure has noted that up to 5 systems per frequency band, there could be problems.  The user guide states how to set the receivers to different groups or frequencies manually.  Can I put 5 receivers on a group to utilize the 14 systems together?  Thanks in advance.   

It sounds like you'd like to use 14 PGX-D X8 units at one time. The Shure groups and channels chart is a good reference for compatible frequencies that can be used (transmitted) at the same time.  Each channel is a specific frequency. Group 1 and Group 2 on the X8 chart show 10 compatible frequencies.  Frequencies in different groups are not guaranteed to work together.  On other Shure units a specific frequency can be dialed in but on the PGX-D it looks like you only have groups and channels to choose from.  Try starting by setting 10 of your units to group 1's unique channels.  With all of the transmitters turned on check for clean reception and war game each unit.  Assuming there aren't other devices occupying the X8 frequency range, 902-928mhz, this process should go smoothly. 

Now you still have 4 more units that need to play nice with the ones that are functioning properly.  This is where the digital modulation truly shines.  I would look at the channel spacing of the deployed units and find 4 frequencies that are say .5mhz or greater from any other channel in group 1. 

G1, C0: 903.850mhz
G1, C1: 906.400mhz 

G2, C0: 904.700mhz should be far enough away from the others to not have any frequency overlap.  The intermod suppression of digital modulation should allow this frequency to be compatible with all of the group 1.  When you get frequencies for all 14 units war game again and be on the lookout for other devices that use that part of the spectrum.  A Tempest 900 would create havoc.       

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33-centimeter_band

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.