ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice  (Read 33263 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 01:42:06 PM »

I have put a two way switch and a 1/4 jack in the tops. So I can use the internal horns when im only using a single top on each side, or when i flip the switch it sends the crossover horn freq to the jack and then power the 60x40s.

So you're not tri-amping this system? How old are those Sp4? Do they not have the bi-amping option on the rear panel? There are definitely a lot of improvements you could make so stick around and keep asking questions.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »

Also, I would imagine that a pair (as in 1 per side) of the RCF sub 9007 would murderize all the subs you have now.

Yes it's expensive, but you only have to buy a pair. And you only have to move one pair each gig. The savings add up....

I'd suggest 4 Danley TH118's and a pair of SM80's or a pair of RCF sub9007's and a pair of TTL6a's. The RCF's are powered so you can factor in the price of amps for the Danley rig vs the RCF.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:54:53 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Chiara

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »

I have a pair of SP4's. I use them for drum monitors at outdoor shows. They are popular in my area over 2x18" subs. If you have 3 of these a side that means 6x15" speakers/side interacting with the subs. Seems like a lower mid mud puddle waiting to happen. For tops the general rule that less sources is better holds true. I would replace the tops first...and see what difference it makes. Rent or borrow something appropriate.

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »

Ok so Im gonna attemt to answer all the questions.

So the horns i use in splay are of the dame impedance 8ohms. I am not in anyway changing the impedance its still a 4ohm bix when this is done.. well 3.8ohms by the ok ohm meter at speakon javks on rear.. but its the same with either horn set up.
Im not truly triamping these I put anything over a 100hz in the tops and anything below 100hz in the subs.
The sp4s are the grey faced.

Im almost wondering if this whole Class D amplification is what its cracked up to be?

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »

I have been looking into the EAW kf695z
And ive looked at EAW kf755s both applications over SB 1000 subs..
But man they are still proud of that gear! Takes deep pockets to go that way..

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »

I would, by far, go with KF695's. But even then you really really want to use EAW's UX processor. It makes a world of difference.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »

The shear weight of the 755s make me cringe...

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »

Lots of used KF boxes on the market these days for fairly cheap if that's the way you want to go.

If you're accustomed to carrying all the weight of your current system, it seems you wouldn't have much of an issue with KF6xx.

And as Tim said, definitely factor in the cost of a UX dsp if you go that route. It's really a critical component of the system.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 02:24:32 PM »

Ok so Im gonna attemt to answer all the questions.

So the horns i use in splay are of the dame impedance 8ohms. I am not in anyway changing the impedance its still a 4ohm bix when this is done.. well 3.8ohms by the ok ohm meter at speakon javks on rear.. but its the same with either horn set up.

You say "horns" as in more than one.  When you put drivers in parallel, the impedance goes lower-it DOES NOT stay the same as a single unit.

You CANNOT check impedance with a ohm meter-ESPECIALLY with a passive crossover.

Your "simple DC meter test" (ohmmeter) DOES NOT in any way measure ANY LOAD that the horns put on the input jack.

To measure IMPEDANCE (the opposition to flow of an AC signal) you MUST use an impedance meter and sweep the freq range.

A single freq impedance meter is barely one step above an ohm meter.

Impedance is NOT a single number, and varies quite a bit with freq.

The 1st series capacitor in the crossover BLOCKS the DC from your meter.

You could short the horn terminals and the DC RESISTANCE you are trying to measure will not change.

HOWEVER the amp you are using would notice.

You have bigger problems to worry about rather than class D amplification.

Why do you say that you don't think class D is not what it is cracked up to be?  What do you base that on?

I am NOT trying to be mean (but it may seem that way), but rather just pointing out things that it appears you are not aware of.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »

What im saying is.. Im not changing the inpedance of the cabnet.
Im only "replacing" the 22xt with a 44 driver so to speak and changing it from 120x90 to 60x40.
The ohms of the cabinet stay the same. Their is one 60x40 for each top that i can use if needed. I hope im making sence..

Lol this has become a mess.. Im only trying to eliminate phase of the horns..

I think im just gonna open up the wallet and buy some better gear..

Trying to make this whole system work has became more of a nucence than actually ecplaining to the wife where $20k went from bank acc..   ;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.