ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice  (Read 19287 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »

What im saying is.. Im not changing the inpedance of the cabnet.
Im only "replacing" the 22xt with a 44 driver so to speak and changing it from 120x90 to 60x40.
The ohms of the cabinet stay the same. Their is one 60x40 for each top that i can use if needed. I hope im making sence..

Lol this has become a mess.. Im only trying to eliminate phase of the horns..

The reason I brought it up was that you said "horns"-meaning more than one.

So how are you "trying to eliminate phase of the horns"?

Everything has "phase".  And the further you separate components, the more phase shift you are introducing-depending on where you are seated.

When you go to a stronger driver on a narrower horn, the SPL is going to increase a good bit.  But the coverage is going to decrease.

How are you dealing with the narrowing of the coverage?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 05:20:22 pm »

When looking at Peavy 22xt driver    80 watts  1 inch throat.   XF 1200.    111 db at 1 watt 1 meter.
                                  44xt driver   160 watts 2 inch throat.   XF 1000.    111 db at 1 watt 1 meter. 

when outside the 120 wide dispersion of the horn on the 22xt will get you wide but not deep. 
and your thinking is the 44 xt  with a narrow horn of 60 wide will get you deep but not wide. 

https://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80302103.pdf

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80300451.pdf

What is the horns attached to each drivers  and pictures may help some.

if inside a room the 60 degree horn may help to keep reflections off the walls.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 05:56:03 pm »

when outside the 120 wide dispersion of the horn on the 22xt will get you wide but not deep. 
and your thinking is the 44 xt  with a narrow horn of 60 wide will get you deep but not wide. 

if inside a room the 60 degree horn may help to keep reflections off the walls.
The pattern of the horn has NOTHING to do with how far it will "throw".

You cannot "throw" sound, it simply propagates/moves through the air.

The narrower pattern will ONLY help at those freq for which the horn is LARGE ENOUGH to actually have control over those freq.

For the same size horn, the wider horn will control freq lower than a narrower horn.

So the narrower horn may be losing pattern control (depending on the physical size), while the wider horn may still be controlling the pattern.

SO-the wider may actually have LESS reflections off of the walls. 

This of course depends on a number of different factors, but people VERY OFTEN don't realize that in order for the narrower horn to keep the same energy off of the walls, it MUST be larger.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 06:08:37 pm »

The reason I brought it up was that you said "horns"-meaning more than one.

So how are you "trying to eliminate phase of the horns"?

Everything has "phase".  And the further you separate components, the more phase shift you are introducing-depending on where you are seated.

When you go to a stronger driver on a narrower horn, the SPL is going to increase a good bit.  But the coverage is going to decrease.

How are you dealing with the narrowing of the coverage?

"Pardon me, Miss, but I speak Jive."

"Jack, everything you're doing to kludge this together to reach a result we're not entirely certain about is likely a waste of further funding in light of the size/weight/price/value of current loudspeaker systems.  If you want to know why the kludge creates additional or different problems (and hence burns any investment made in "improvements"), we can discuss that, too."
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 06:36:35 pm »

Jack, welcome and please stick around and keep asking questions.

I would suggest you not do what some guys who want to upgrade have done, that is just ask a couple of questions and then spend a bunch of $$ and come back and ask if they did good - they usually didn't.

Instead, stay around and let us help you figure out your goals, figure out a budget and then spec out some gear and a plan to get you to your goals.

Many members here are dealers for various brands and likely can get you better pricing than you can find on your own.

So, that brings up the big questions...
1) what do you want your rig to do?
2) what doesn't it do now that you want to correct ?
3) how much money (and over what time period) can you spend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 08:49:34 pm »

Im not looking to get a super huge system.. I wanna be able to do more nationals.
In my area their are way to many production companies fighting for work now.
My goal is to be reliable and have a system that i can cover atleast 4000 people.
I have used Peavey gear only because its what im use to as the local music store carries this brand.. To be honest its not a bad sounding system..
I have thought about going with EAW... But all the prossesing it takes to achive a sound is rediculious.

With the 22xt horns i start loosing thise at about 45feet.
With the 44s and the 40x60 i can direct more sound to where i want and need it.
Although sometimes i feel the system is working to hard and i really do push this rig.. 
I would like to either make this work or move on to another brand hopefully one i could just use my dbx PA2s on..

Seems that alot of people in this chat just shun off Peavey all together..  But Peavey pre china had some of the toughest amps and speakers around. Maybe they are not as clear as others. But they are def dependable..

So i have a open mind about everything and i will take some pics of what im using and how i set up and maybe someone will help me achive what im looking for. 
I just want a great sound without empty pockets..

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 09:02:59 pm »

Im not looking to get a super huge system.. I wanna be able to do more nationals.
In my area their are way to many production companies fighting for work now.
My goal is to be reliable and have a system that i can cover atleast 4000 people.

If you are talking about doing national acts for 4000 people, then you are going to need some deep pockets-depending on what else you already own.

I would start by looking at what your competition is using.

That should give you an idea of what is needed.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Chiara

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 09:48:56 pm »

If there are too many companies and you don't want empty pockets, I am confused what it is you expect to accomplish. Being the ankle biter with cheap gear trying to break into a market is not a good way to make friends and influence people! Plus, it kinda screws up what we all work to uphold.
Quality at an appropriate price.

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 01:06:41 am »

If there are too many companies and you don't want empty pockets, I am confused what it is you expect to accomplish. Being the ankle biter with cheap gear trying to break into a market is not a good way to make friends and influence people! Plus, it kinda screws up what we all work to uphold.
Quality at an appropriate price.

Ankle biter i am not! Its seems that most of the " Sound engineers" put down most of everyones equipment. Everyone started somewhere.. Chances are I prob have a better ear for mixing than most "Pros".
Now in saying that i have mixed on RCF,Vertec,myer,eaw line arrays for some Big acts..
But who has the money for all that gear with no promise of work..
Every one around here cuts the rate just to get the work.. I turn away more than i take for the simple fact of how cheap it is.  Now do i know my rig is less than desirable?? Yes i do.. That was the whole reason for asking some questions.. I didnt and will not go to a school for this... seems sincless really.. either you got it or you dont.. having a good ear cant be teached.. But im always willing to learn from my fellow bretheren!

I thank you all for you replys!! And i did learn a few things today.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 01:36:38 am »

Ankle biter i am not! Its seems that most of the " Sound engineers" put down most of everyones equipment. Everyone started somewhere.. Chances are I prob have a better ear for mixing than most "Pros".
Now in saying that i have mixed on RCF,Vertec,myer,eaw line arrays for some Big acts..
But who has the money for all that gear with no promise of work..
Every one around here cuts the rate just to get the work.. I turn away more than i take for the simple fact of how cheap it is.  Now do i know my rig is less than desirable?? Yes i do.. That was the whole reason for asking some questions.. I didnt and will not go to a school for this... seems sincless really.. either you got it or you dont.. having a good ear cant be teached.. But im always willing to learn from my fellow bretheren!

I thank you all for you replys!! And i did learn a few things today.

Jack,  the fact you want to reuse your PA2's and you mention that "all that processing" EAW requires speaks more to filling knowledge gap and equipment.  You can have the best ear in the world but if you not a systems guy and have a good working knowledge of acoustic principals you can't move up to this level. 

BTW I am in now way an expert on these topics.  But I am learning, trying to improve my skills.  There is no better place to do that than in these rooms.

No you can go away sore, feeling put down by arrogant guys or you can realize these are the people being successful at the level you want to work and are willing to share their experience.

I hope you stay.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 01:36:38 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.