ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice  (Read 33648 times)

Jack Donald Wooten

Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice
« on: October 30, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »

Hello all!
I run a muck of a system which has seem to get me by for the most part. But Im starting to notice the lack of preformance in certain areas.  Now I know most of you are going to bash me but heres what i run. Keeping in mind that i know their is some phase issues with my rig.

6-Sp4
6-218
6-60x40 44t homebrew horns ( i put a switch to turn off internal horns)
6 crown drivecore 2502 (bridged)
6 crown drivecore 1502 (bridged)
2 dbx drive rack pa2
2 Presonus 24.4.2
8- sp 215 mon
4 crown drivecore 2002 (mon)

For the most part The Tops and subs use to keep me happy.. But now i find myself fighting with them to achive a better sound..
So my question is.. Do i junk the Peavey FOH or do i upgrade to the Qw series?. I may do 5 nationals a year in s med size club.. But for the most part I do lots of local and up coming bands,festivals etc...

Will the qw be more aduequate to what im doing?

Brandon Scopel

Re: Presonus,Peavey,Crown, Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »

Before anyone can respond, you must change your displayed name to your real full name as outlined in the rules when you created your account.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »

Before anyone can respond, you must change your displayed name to your real full name as outlined in the rules when you created your account.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I appologise for my ignorance..

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 12:10:19 PM »

The Peavey QWave were pretty stout and reasonably good sounding for their day; the subs were frequently praised.

I'm curious as to why you need so many top boxes.  Can you tell us how you typically set up the speakers... where you point them, how you stack, etc?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 12:19:44 PM »

The Peavey QWave were pretty stout and reasonably good sounding for their day; the subs were frequently praised.

I'm curious as to why you need so many top boxes.  Can you tell us how you typically set up the speakers... where you point them, how you stack, etc?

I do quite a bit of Rock shows loud volume venues. I put a bypass on Sp4 internal gorns so i could use the 60x40 and just do a normal splay on tops seems to help with the high end a bit.
So its typicaly a /|\ Layout for tops.. i use the tops cabnet angle to splay them.
Mostly ive noticed my low end seems off.. I try as much as possiable to do a center cluster and run those in mono.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:49:19 PM »

I put a bypass on Sp4 internal gorns so i could use the 60x40 and just do a normal splay on tops seems to help with the high end a bit.

I am confused by this statement-and the one in your original post that says you "bypassed the internal horns".

What exactly do you mean?

How do you bypass a horn?

Are you talking about the crossover?

And by "bypass" do you mean "turn off" or driving the horns with a separate crossover and amp?

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 12:56:54 PM »

I am confused by this statement-and the one in your original post that says you "bypassed the internal horns".

What exactly do you mean?

I have put a two way switch in and a 1/4 jack on the back. So if im just using 1 sp4 then i can use internal horn. But if im running more than one i flip the switch and it sends signal to 1/4 jack and out to 60x40s..

They are packed in the front of trailer if not for that i would take a pic.

How do you bypass a horn?

Are you talking about the crossover?

And by "bypass" do you mean "turn off" or driving the horns with a separate crossover and amp?

Jack Donald Wooten

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »

I have put a two way switch and a 1/4 jack in the tops. So I can use the internal horns when im only using a single top on each side, or when i flip the switch it sends the crossover horn freq to the jack and then power the 60x40s.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »

I have put a two way switch and a 1/4 jack in the tops. So I can use the internal horns when im only using a single top on each side, or when i flip the switch it sends the crossover horn freq to the jack and then power the 60x40s.
If you are using the external horns, are they (in total) the same impedance as the internal horn?

If not, then the xover freq and performance will not be the same.

This will also put the horn and woofer spacing further apart than the horn in the cabinet.

This will cause "abnormalities" in the freq response over different listening positions.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 01:37:48 PM »

Chances are you could burn that whole stack of gear and have a better and louder PA by using 1 high output top box and 4 to 6 dual 18 subs. Qwaves are fine for the subs I guess. They get loud and are pretty punchy. Good for rock, but they need a ton of power behind them.

A Fulrum or Danley or even the Soundforums DIY box would walk all over this weird pile of firewood.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 01:37:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.