ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact DMX controller for band use  (Read 21593 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Compact DMX controller for band use
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 12:50:59 PM »

I run the lights in my band using DMXIS  and an FCB1010 controller. I programmed 100 scenes, and I have them organized in banks of 10.

1:verse
2:verse
3:chorus
4:chorus
5:solo
6:solo
7:solo
8:end small
9:end medium
10:end big

10 banks of 10 scenes. I set up the 2 "volume" pedals like this. The left volume pedal controls the front lights on the band, so I can bring us into silhouette for effect. The other volume pedal controls the hazer.

http://youtu.be/3uiLBx0XC-U

I now use a pair of ADJ Fog Fury Jetts for a pyro effect. So I've changed the scenes a bit. Now banks 6 and 8 have the lights in the band turned out, for the silhouette effect and the left hand "volume" pedal controls the fog fury Jetts.

http://youtu.be/pzGkdz6LM_E

Very nice light show. I love the Spot Duo's and Fury Jetts! You've got a lot of $$ in stage lighting. I'm impressed you have that footswitch operated.

Rob Gow

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2016, 03:02:35 PM »

Thanks.
So with all those lights and movement on the 'TNT' clip, I guess there's no need for sound activated lighting.
We do have 2 moving heads and a Martin Ego 3 but they rarely get taken out
due to transportation and lack of technical help.
Because of this, our lights are pretty much for flood and stage wash use hence the reliance on sound activation.
I probably wouldn't miss it though if I bought the DMXIS bundle and laptop as I could setup some nice colour fades and transitions.
With my Scene Setter, there's no programmable fade.

In all the clips, nothing is sound activated. It's all been preprogrammed ahead of time. Each scene will play all night until I a change it to another programmed scene. I prefer it so everything is working together but not necessarily each fixture doing the exact movement. I prefer a mirror image if anything.

With the wash lights I address them in pairs. That way instead of a left to right chase, the lights will start at the ends and move towards the centre or move the other way. I use 11 wash lights so there's a centre light when using an alternating color scheme.

There's a good chance there's a fixture profile for your movers and if not, there's half decent directions to creating your own profile for the fixture.

Rob Gow

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »

Very nice light show. I love the Spot Duo's and Fury Jetts! You've got a lot of $$ in stage lighting. I'm impressed you have that footswitch operated.

Thanks. My light setup was definitely an evolution and went a lot further from where I started. I really like it, everything plays together nicely.

It all started with a vague idea after I had purchased 4 Chauvet Intimidator 1.0 scanners to get into the moving beam game. I figured some wash lights and some Chauvet 4Plays would be it. Little did I know.

;)

Dan Reavey

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2016, 06:51:10 AM »

In all the clips, nothing is sound activated. It's all been preprogrammed ahead of time. Each scene will play all night until I a change it to another programmed scene. I prefer it so everything is working together but not necessarily each fixture doing the exact movement. I prefer a mirror image if anything.

With the wash lights I address them in pairs. That way instead of a left to right chase, the lights will start at the ends and move towards the centre or move the other way. I use 11 wash lights so there's a centre light when using an alternating color scheme.

There's a good chance there's a fixture profile for your movers and if not, there's half decent directions to creating your own profile for the fixture.

Thanks.
I used the MFC10 foot controller with the Scene Setter at a gig last night
and it works well.
It did involve a bit of pedal dancing though as the Scene Setter programs
don't cancel each other out when changing.
Instead they run either in sequence at the set speed or together in mix mode
so random program change requires switching one off then another on.

I'm not sure whether it's possible to instantly jump from one scene/chase
to another in any order with software or budget controllers.
Seems as though you need to pre-arrange a sequence of programs but I'd like to be able to choose at random.

Rob Gow

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 08:25:23 AM »

Thanks.
I used the MFC10 foot controller with the Scene Setter at a gig last night
and it works well.
It did involve a bit of pedal dancing though as the Scene Setter programs
don't cancel each other out when changing.
Instead they run either in sequence at the set speed or together in mix mode
so random program change requires switching one off then another on.

I'm not sure whether it's possible to instantly jump from one scene/chase
to another in any order with software or budget controllers.
Seems as though you need to pre-arrange a sequence of programs but I'd like to be able to choose at random.

I'm able to switch from scene to scene with the DMXIS/FCB1010 combination. I've preprogrammed 100 different scenes per bank. Out of the box, stock, the FCB1010 has bank up, bank down and 10 pedals. It works like this:

Bank 00
01: scene 01 on the DMXIS list
02: scene 02 on the DMXIS list
03: scene 03 on the DMXIS list
04: scene 04 on the DMXIS list
05: scene 05 on the DMXIS list
06: scene 06 on the DMXIS list
07: scene 07 on the DMXIS list
08: scene 08 on the DMXIS list
09: scene 09 on the DMXIS list
10: scene 10 on the DMXIS list

Then when you switch to bank 01 you get the following with pedals 1 - 10

01: scene 11 on the DMXIS list
02: scene 12 on the DMXIS list
03: scene 13 on the DMXIS list
04: scene 14 on the DMXIS list
05: scene 15 on the DMXIS list
06: scene 16 on the DMXIS list
07: scene 17 on the DMXIS list
08: scene 18 on the DMXIS list
09: scene 19 on the DMXIS list
10: scene 20 on the DMXIS list

And so on, and so on. With this you can't build a chase as you go, unless scene one had blue wash lights, then scene 2 had blue wash lights & movers etc. That up to you and how you organize the scenes. I posted up above hoe I organize mine. Another way would be to have 10 scenes all using blue wash lights with variations. Then another all pink etc etc.

Here's my setup, I have the FCB1010 front & Center to control the lights. I have my guitar pedalboard off to the side. As long as I can get to the volume pedal for my leads it's all good.

Mission control in the back:

Here's a couple more videos. You can see me changing the light scenes with my feet...

http://youtu.be/o9LY13f08EU

http://youtu.be/B7R9pFeKAqk
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:50:22 AM by Rob Gow »

Dan Reavey

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 06:23:35 AM »

I'm able to switch from scene to scene with the DMXIS/FCB1010 combination. I've preprogrammed 100 different scenes per bank. Out of the box, stock, the FCB1010 has bank up, bank down and 10 pedals. It works like this:

Bank 00
01: scene 01 on the DMXIS list
02: scene 02 on the DMXIS list
03: scene 03 on the DMXIS list
04: scene 04 on the DMXIS list
05: scene 05 on the DMXIS list
06: scene 06 on the DMXIS list
07: scene 07 on the DMXIS list
08: scene 08 on the DMXIS list
09: scene 09 on the DMXIS list
10: scene 10 on the DMXIS list

Then when you switch to bank 01 you get the following with pedals 1 - 10

01: scene 11 on the DMXIS list
02: scene 12 on the DMXIS list
03: scene 13 on the DMXIS list
04: scene 14 on the DMXIS list
05: scene 15 on the DMXIS list
06: scene 16 on the DMXIS list
07: scene 17 on the DMXIS list
08: scene 18 on the DMXIS list
09: scene 19 on the DMXIS list
10: scene 20 on the DMXIS list

And so on, and so on. With this you can't build a chase as you go, unless scene one had blue wash lights, then scene 2 had blue wash lights & movers etc. That up to you and how you organize the scenes. I posted up above hoe I organize mine. Another way would be to have 10 scenes all using blue wash lights with variations. Then another all pink etc etc.

Here's my setup, I have the FCB1010 front & Center to control the lights. I have my guitar pedalboard off to the side. As long as I can get to the volume pedal for my leads it's all good.

Mission control in the back:

Here's a couple more videos. You can see me changing the light scenes with my feet...

http://youtu.be/o9LY13f08EU

http://youtu.be/B7R9pFeKAqk

Thanks. So you effectively have ten versions of this scene list.

Rob Gow

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »

Thanks. So you effectively have ten versions of this scene list.

That's correct. Verses are subdued, chorus a little more full. Some pizazz on the solos and then the big moving finishes

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2016, 06:57:41 AM »

That's correct. Verses are subdued, chorus a little more full. Some pizazz on the solos and then the big moving finishes
Hey Rob,
I just got a DMXIS and looking for some inspiration for my presets if you're feeling generous.

Can you share anymore about your setup?
What colors you use, do you mix colors at the same time on different fixture's?
Are you using the sound active mode?
How do you vary the verses and choruses?
Do you match your banks to specific songs, or just keep them rotating?

None of my lights move but I have 12 led pars in total - most of them new to me - and I want to put on a bit of a show to help our band stand out that little bit.
This is also my first time away from an auto/fade mode in the lamps.
Cheers, Callan.
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Rob Gow

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »

Hey Rob,
I just got a DMXIS and looking for some inspiration for my presets if you're feeling generous.

Can you share anymore about your setup?
What colors you use, do you mix colors at the same time on different fixture's?
Are you using the sound active mode?
How do you vary the verses and choruses?
Do you match your banks to specific songs, or just keep them rotating?

None of my lights move but I have 12 led pars in total - most of them new to me - and I want to put on a bit of a show to help our band stand out that little bit.
This is also my first time away from an auto/fade mode in the lamps.
Cheers, Callan.

How's it going. We went without movers in one venue because we were told the haze would set off the fire alarms. A couple years later a band from out of town played and smoked the hell out of the place. You couldn't see your hand in front of your face. We knew that we would be fine with our haze after that.

There's quite a bit you can do with the 12 fixtures. Like I mentioned, I always used 11 fixtures instead of 12. That way if I alternated colors, there would be a central fixture instead of 2 fixtures side by side with the same color.

I always addressed my fixture in pairs. This goes back to the old days when I only had 8 channels on my controller and 12 lights at the back. Back then things ran off dimmers and this helped me save channels.

Anyway

I would label them like this. I'll use letters instead of fixture addresses since I don't know the number of channels etc. 

A B C D E F E D C B A

That way both "A" lights act the same, both. "B" lights etc. If you can find the fixture profile in the list, assign that to the first fader on the address for each light. It will name the light and group the correct amount of faders with the correct labelling for the properties of the light. (Red, green, blue, dimmer, strobe, etc)

Then what you can do is double click the dimmer. This will select the dimmer on all the lights at the same time. Set it to full and you can play around with the colors. Choose red for them all, or whatever colors you want. With pairs I liked green & pink, green & blue, etc. After that you can play around with the oscillators. They can be put on the color sliders, dimmer sliders etc etc.

I usually use the sine pattern for the oscillator, as it's nice and smooth up and down. Then you choose the amount you want on the dimmers say. I'll bring it to about 85% where they juuuuuuuust about turn off then get brighter. After that, playing with the offset will give you the different patterns.

You could use the oscillators on the colors to have them alternate colors. By pairing the lights, any chases will start at the outside and work its way in, or the inside to work its way out instead of chasing from left fully across to the right, and vice versa. I like the look.

Here's a few videos with just the wash lights to show what you can do. If you find a nice pattern with the dimmers, you can change the colors and have a whole other scene.

For the record, I'm no light guy. More of a sound guy who had to find a way to do lights.

http://youtu.be/3Hlfh-1lxEA

Here's a bit of a tutorial I made with my old fixtures. Maybe on my days off ill whip up a new tutorial.

http://youtu.be/1gCeoiItfhU

I just have the scene set up basically in that order but not for any specific song. We are so random with our setlists I just choose different scenes on the fly. When we play I control it with a behringer FCB1010, using a Roland UM-One Midi to USB controller. It works quite well out of the box.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:11:11 AM by Rob Gow »

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »

How's it going. We went without movers in one venue because we were told the haze would set off the fire alarms. A couple years later a band from out of town played and smoked the hell out of the place. You couldn't see your hand in front of your face. We knew that we would be fine with our haze after that.

There's quite a bit you can do with the 12 fixtures. Like I mentioned, I always used 11 fixtures instead of 12. That way if I alternated colors, there would be a central fixture instead of 2 fixtures side by side with the same color.

I always addressed my fixture in pairs. This goes back to the old days when I only had 8 channels on my controller and 12 lights at the back. Back then things ran off dimmers and this helped me save channels.

Anyway

I would label them like this. I'll use letters instead of fixture addresses since I don't know the number of channels etc. 

A B C D E F E D C B A

That way both "A" lights act the same, both. "B" lights etc. If you can find the fixture profile in the list, assign that to the first fader on the address for each light. It will name the light and group the correct amount of faders with the correct labelling for the properties of the light. (Red, green, blue, dimmer, strobe, etc)

Then what you can do is double click the dimmer. This will select the dimmer on all the lights at the same time. Set it to full and you can play around with the colors. Choose red for them all, or whatever colors you want. With pairs I liked green & pink, green & blue, etc. After that you can play around with the oscillators. They can be put on the color sliders, dimmer sliders etc etc.

I usually use the sine pattern for the oscillator, as it's nice and smooth up and down. Then you choose the amount you want on the dimmers say. I'll bring it to about 85% where they juuuuuuuust about turn off then get brighter. After that, playing with the offset will give you the different patterns.

You could use the oscillators on the colors to have them alternate colors. By pairing the lights, any chases will start at the outside and work its way in, or the inside to work its way out instead of chasing from left fully across to the right, and vice versa. I like the look.

Here's a few videos with just the wash lights to show what you can do. If you find a nice pattern with the dimmers, you can change the colors and have a whole other scene.

For the record, I'm no light guy. More of a sound guy who had to find a way to do lights.

http://youtu.be/3Hlfh-1lxEA

Here's a bit of a tutorial I made with my old fixtures. Maybe on my days off ill whip up a new tutorial.

http://youtu.be/1gCeoiItfhU

I just have the scene set up basically in that order but not for any specific song. We are so random with our setlists I just choose different scenes on the fly. When we play I control it with a behringer FCB1010, using a Roland UM-One Midi to USB controller. It works quite well out of the box.
that's great, thank you Rob.
I like the first video, it's given me some ideas straight away.

Do you have any lights in front of the band, or only the 11 behind?
My idea was to have 2 x 4bar unit's behind us (one each side of the drums) then 2 small par's on each foh speaker facing across the stage.

My foh has bolt holes for rigging (m10?), which makes for a neat & efficient way to mount them - no extra stands, nothing to trip on, etc.
I'm also about to make up cables to use the Powercon out of foh into the lights mounted on top.
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.