ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact DMX controller for band use  (Read 16515 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Compact DMX controller for band use
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2016, 01:27:49 PM »

that's great, thank you Rob.
I like the first video, it's given me some ideas straight away.

Do you have any lights in front of the band, or only the 11 behind?
My idea was to have 2 x 4bar unit's behind us (one each side of the drums) then 2 small par's on each foh speaker facing across the stage.

My foh has bolt holes for rigging (m10?), which makes for a neat & efficient way to mount them - no extra stands, nothing to trip on, etc.
I'm also about to make up cables to use the Powercon out of foh into the lights mounted on top.

I do it similar - always program 1 side of the back-line only and the other side is just "mirrored".

The speaker on a fly point works great as well. I'm still using (2) incandescent pars for my front wash. I turn them off/on with a little plug-in remote. Here's a link to a picture of the Par 56 mounted to a JBL speaker fly point:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158464.msg1454892.html#msg1454892

Rob Gow

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 02:41:32 PM »

that's great, thank you Rob.
I like the first video, it's given me some ideas straight away.

Do you have any lights in front of the band, or only the 11 behind?
My idea was to have 2 x 4bar unit's behind us (one each side of the drums) then 2 small par's on each foh speaker facing across the stage.

My foh has bolt holes for rigging (m10?), which makes for a neat & efficient way to mount them - no extra stands, nothing to trip on, etc.
I'm also about to make up cables to use the Powercon out of foh into the lights mounted on top.

If it's a small place I use one Blizzard hotbox RGBAW per side attached to a flypoint on my FOH speakers. If it's a bigger space with room I'll use a light stand on each side with a T-Bar. Then I use 2 Blizzard Fab5's per side. It works out pretty good.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »

I do it similar - always program 1 side of the back-line only and the other side is just "mirrored".

The speaker on a fly point works great as well. I'm still using (2) incandescent pars for my front wash. I turn them off/on with a little plug-in remote. Here's a link to a picture of the Par 56 mounted to a JBL speaker fly point:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158464.msg1454892.html#msg1454892
Thanks Steve, I'd not seen that thread.
I've been trying the angle of the second led on my speaker at home, it might not work on the shallow stages, but hopefully it'll be ok for most of the shows that need it - time will tell.
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Steve Garris

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »

Thanks Steve, I'd not seen that thread.
I've been trying the angle of the second led on my speaker at home, it might not work on the shallow stages, but hopefully it'll be ok for most of the shows that need it - time will tell.

I was going to do something similar, except I will mount the (2) lights to a small bar, that will clamp to one flypoint.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2016, 03:59:26 AM »

I run the lights in my band using DMXIS  and an FCB1010 controller. I programmed 100 scenes, and I have them organized in banks of 10.

1:verse
2:verse
3:chorus
4:chorus
5:solo
6:solo
7:solo
8:end small
9:end medium
10:end big

10 banks of 10 scenes.

Hey Rob,
Do you randomly select a different scene for each song, or do you have a method to the ten you have?

So far I'm loving the dmxis and have integrated midi control of both my fractal ax8 and dmxis together.
Single button for solo light scene and amp boost, for example.
I'm Still working out the best way to keep things interesting, but easy to operate.

Jason Fultz

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »

Hey Rob,
Do you randomly select a different scene for each song, or do you have a method to the ten you have?

So far I'm loving the dmxis and have integrated midi control of both my fractal ax8 and dmxis together.
I'm Still working out the best way to keep things interesting, but easy to operate.

I'm not Rob but I've been using DMXis similarly  for a while now , both with my own band and touring bands.
I like to have a set of scenes set up rather loosely around the song sets we have so we can step through if we want to.
You'll find that making some general scenes and presets works better than trying to do a set per song.
If you're using backing tracks though it's easy to set up midi triggered changes that will flow with the song and change where you want it too.
It's a pretty powerful program that's easy to use.

Rob Gow

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM »

Hey Rob,

Wow no kidding hey. The possibilities are endless with midi. I just tap around different banks during the songs. But no matter what bank I'm in, I know what to expect with the patches laid out that way. I used to use the one volume pedal to control the dimmers for the lights on the band. Now I use it to control my ADJ Fog Fury Jetts. So because of that I've made all 10 scenes in banks 6 and 8 with the lights on the band turned off. I'll use those to bring the band into silhouette.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 02:59:44 PM by Rob Gow »

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2016, 05:22:09 PM »

Thanks Rob and Jason,
No backing tracks here, just the 4 of us playing what we feel like.
I could see how well this would work with tracks though, but it's not for us.
The possibilities are endless
Ain't that the truth!
I don't really want to have something as big as the FCB1010 on stage with me, but on my pedalboard I have something called an MC6 by MorningStar, which is a small 6 button MIDI controller with LCD screen. On it I have a few banks to get quick access to my various AX8 amp presets.
I've put a slightly old pic of my pedalboard below showing the MC6

I've set up one bank on the MC6 to give me direct access to my 5 main scenes in each bank (with the last button a shortcut back to my 'amps' bank)
Static Colour / Verse / Chorus / Solo (+boost on AX8) / Silhouette.
I can also hold down one button for my blackout scene.

I then use a momentary footswitch directly into the DMXIS hardware.
Single click for random bank, click and hold for the last scene in the bank - which is often something a little flashy. Not full strobe, but lots of things flashing about. Some scenes I use the auto modes in my 4Pars.

Going by this method, I hope to create about 10-20 banks in DMXIS and just randomly cycle through them as needed.
Some songs might just stay on the same bank, but others might move around a bit - all controllable from only a few buttons in front of me.

Our next show isn't for a few weeks, so I'm trying to get it all sorted by then.

It's hopefully going to all work well and be a big step up from a few lights fading through colours all night at their own pace.

Rob Gow

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »

Nice. The FcB1010 world well for me. I'm pretty meat & potatoes when it comes to my pedal board, basically clean, dirty and the volume pedal.

Jason Fultz

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

Thanks Rob and Jason,
No backing tracks here, just the 4 of us playing what we feel like.
I could see how well this would work with tracks though, but it's not for us.Ain't that the truth!
I don't really want to have something as big as the FCB1010 on stage with me, but on my pedalboard I have something called an MC6 by MorningStar, which is a small 6 button MIDI controller with LCD screen. On it I have a few banks to get quick access to my various AX8 amp presets.
I've put a slightly old pic of my pedalboard below showing the MC6

I've set up one bank on the MC6 to give me direct access to my 5 main scenes in each bank (with the last button a shortcut back to my 'amps' bank)
Static Colour / Verse / Chorus / Solo (+boost on AX8) / Silhouette.
I can also hold down one button for my blackout scene.

I then use a momentary footswitch directly into the DMXIS hardware.
Single click for random bank, click and hold for the last scene in the bank - which is often something a little flashy. Not full strobe, but lots of things flashing about. Some scenes I use the auto modes in my 4Pars.

Going by this method, I hope to create about 10-20 banks in DMXIS and just randomly cycle through them as needed.
Some songs might just stay on the same bank, but others might move around a bit - all controllable from only a few buttons in front of me.

Our next show isn't for a few weeks, so I'm trying to get it all sorted by then.

It's hopefully going to all work well and be a big step up from a few lights fading through colours all night at their own pace.

Very nice. The midi implication from dmxis is great.
How do you like that AX 8? I'm personally torn between it or J Kemper for my guitar rig right now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:47:18 PM by Jason Fultz »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.