ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving heads...what to buy?  (Read 8894 times)

Caleb Dueck

Re: Moving heads...what to buy?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2016, 09:21:50 PM »

That is an issue with lights from major manufacturers as well. It seems like Chauvet has been replacing fixtures every year for the last 5 years or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I was told regarding Chauvet is that the Chauvet DJ is pretty generic, just tweaked versions of the better Chinese mass-market stuff.  When the manufacturer stops making the model, Chauvet/Elation/Blizzard/etc have to drop it as well.  Hence the very short lifespans on the DJ side. 

The Pro models are contract manufactured, so they stick around longer.  They are more influenced by advances in LED technology than the simple monthly sales reports. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »

The transition to Chauvet DJ and Chauvet Professional has always bugged me.  I'm sure it made business sense to the powers at be, but I still don't particularly care for it.  At least American DJ and Elation are actually two separate brands despite really being the same company.  This also made a lot more sense back when the average ADJ light was around $200.  These days probably around a quarter of ADJ's lights sell at or above $1000, so there seems to be a bit of identity crisis over there.  For that kind of money I'd prefer a Martin or even Elation printed on the side.  The same goes for not wanting Chauvet "DJ" on any of my fixtures.

The one nice thing about the generic fixtures is that the high-wear items like belts and motors are usually pretty easy to track down, even if the fixture itself is discontinued (since said parts can usually be found in dozens of similar lights).  PCBs are a bit trickier as are structural components of the light, but at the same time, you saved money to begin with so hopefully you've turned a profit before items like those begin to fail. 

duane massey

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »

What I do like about the Elation/ADJ model is that ADJ seems to benefit from the Elation products, as quite often ADJ will come out with a fixture utilizing some of the better features a year after an Elation product is released, even if that product has been scaled back a bit.
What I DON'T like is the reduction in the quality of customer service we now get, but that has been a major complaint from me throughout the industry for quite a while.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.