Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

RCF HDL50a

(1/3) > >>

tom Narayan:
Hello , have any board members used this new line array from RCF.
If you have, what are your thoughts about this system.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Steve Eudaly:
I attended an RCF demo where they had two 6-box hangs of HDL50a. Didn't get to listen to them for an extended time, nor do anything hands on, just a few minutes of tracks.

My first impressions were good. "Big" sound. A bit of perceived weirdness/harshness in the upper mid-highs, but that could be attributed to a number of things (unfamiliar room, deployment, EQ in the signal chain, etc).

EDIT: As opposed to harsh, it would probably be fair if I described the upper mid-highs as more "forward" than I personally prefer, but again, lots of variables and a short demo so take my input for what it is.

Nitin Sidhu:

--- Quote from: tom Narayan on October 26, 2016, 11:45:08 PM ---Hello , have any board members used this new line array from RCF.
If you have, what are your thoughts about this system.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

--- End quote ---

Only just recently did I do a fly by gig. Poor mix position, fag end of the ground. 6 x HDL50/side. As are things, I cannot comment of accuracy of the shoot. I was told it was rigged using RCF array designer, which I think is extremely wrong. My experiments with it (using the 20) has always resulted in only the bottom box being angled.

That said, a loud box. And very bright. The brightness could be controlled im sure, it was borderline harsh, which again could well be a less than ideal deployment. With more EQ on the mains than I prefer, I got a decent mix and it was appreciated.

It has integrated smart networking, which is impressive. Make sure it is on a robust network with a fair power computer. The tech there was struggling to get his response from the laptop. Could be networking or computer or combination of both.

For me, it really would come down to the cost of the box to say if it is a great box or not. I am also fairly certain I could get it to perform real well given the time and tools.

Craig Leerman:
I heard a demo system outside early this year. Lots of standard demo tracks gave it a real workout. It sounded great and the subs were kickin! Nice rig.

thirtha chengappa:
At the onset You need to keep the price of the HDL in focus. For the price, (comparing it to the DVA T12 / TTL 33A II) you get a lot more components and a lot more power.  The HDL 50 A has exactly double the components when compared to the T12. That, in my opinion seals the deal for me. The quality of sound, is subjective, and there are enough and more EQ's on board to tame the system via RD net. If you are doing large scale programs, the HDL 50 is the way to go. Nothing comes close for the price. Just remember, you need to keep in mind the rigging and the cost that comes with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version