ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Small mixer suggestions  (Read 15487 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Small mixer suggestions
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »

Bill

This has crossed my mind and is a perfect configuration the way you have it setup. I currently have a wireless rack setup and four spaces empty.

I also have to add that the XR-18 can be had for 1/2 the price.  The main difference is the lack of matrix busses and it's lighter on FX's.  Neither an issue for your stated application.

If you can swing the additional funds for the x32 it is money well spent as Bill pointed out it has an amazing versatile piece of hardware.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »

Aaron, for events like this we roll in one rack that has everything I need.  It is loaded with an X32r Rack, 4 wireless, CD player and drawer for batteries.  I know that the X32r has more channels than you need, but it also doubles as a small club mixer for bands.  Anyway, it seems to work for us and you would be surprised at how ofter we use this little $900 piece of equipment.

Bill
Hi Bill,

I gave up my CD player (finally) and use an iPod now instead for those purposes; however, I have my X32 Rack setup as follows:

X32 Rack (Mounted Forward)
IEM Sends (Mounted rear)
Storage (Mounted forward)
8x DI (Mounted rear)
Patch Panel (Mounted rear)

Pretty flexible rig for just about any small club setup I have ever seen.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »

Aaron -

I would suggest a look at the Behringer XR12.  $250 or so MAP, built in wifi, smaller than the XR16/18.

Cheers,

-Tim T

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 03:10:42 PM »

A buddy of mine has a 1U Studiomaster C3X mixer that is awesome.  Been thinking about getting one although it's awkwards to get one in the US.  Has 2 mic inputs on the front and 2 more on the back.  Monitor send and internal FX.  The eq isn't super fancy but useable.  The first two inputs have individual eq and the others are grouped.  Sounds good and he's toted it all over SF bars several nights a week for more than a year with no reliability issues.

I have a 6 channel Yamaha MG series that is a bit bigger but my go to for dance recitals and such.  Multiple stereo inputs are handy.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »

A buddy of mine has a 1U Studiomaster C3X mixer that is awesome.

That little Studiomaster looks a bit awkward but, agreed, awesome. Google can't find one in the US. What's up with that?
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »

Aaron -

I would suggest a look at the Behringer XR12.  $250 or so MAP, built in wifi, smaller than the XR16/18.

Cheers,

-Tim T

The built in wifi is all but useless on the XR series.  Falls apart in dense environments.  Antenna gets broken off too.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »

The built in wifi is all but useless on the XR series.  Falls apart in dense environments.  Antenna gets broken off too.
True enough. Built-in wifi is marketing's dumb-assed inclusion. Airport Express probably fits into whatever case you're using.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »

Scott -

I've heard the complaining about the XR series wifi, and in fact I've only used my XR-18 5 times, however 1 was a 150 ppl wedding reception, 2 were frat parties with the usual ton of phone usage, worst case scenarios, no "line of sight", and absolutely no issues of any kind... I've been mixing almost exclusively from laptop then iPad over the last 6 or 7
years of so, I'm sure as long as most anyone on this forum. 

Set up a wep key, use it.  I bring a couple of 5 gig routers & a 10' antenna extension cable anyway - you can hard wire your computer to the mixer with cat5 if needed.  I was suggesting the XR12 mixer, not a wifi plan.  The OP needs minimal channel count and small size, inexpensive.  I can't think of anything else for a quality solution at a couple of hundred bucks.

People who are breaking antennas off of their XR mixers don't fall into the category of those from whom I seek advice...

Cheers,

-Tim T

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 09:35:12 PM »

and in fact I've only used my XR-18 5 times

'nuff said.

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »

'nuff said.

Y'know Dan, instead of being snarky and contributing nothing but to your post count, try to add something of value to this discussion.  You seem to think that 5 shows with an XR18 are the sum of my experience in this field.  Not so. 

I try to be succinct with my posts, maybe you misread something.  Frat gigs on homecoming weekend at a university can be challenging for wifi usage.  But I do find your post amusing in light of the fact that 3 weeks ago you professed to using the XR18 for 80% of your work...

Peace,

-Tim T

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 10:18:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.