ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Small mixer suggestions  (Read 15480 times)

Aaron Maurer

Small mixer suggestions
« on: October 23, 2016, 11:59:09 AM »

I have been getting more and more needs for events that have a speaker/announcer(s) and background music. The smallest console I have is 24 channels which is not an issue setting up to do these events although overkill the problem is some of these smaller functions are overlapping bigger events. This ties up resources and labor and hence why I am looking for a small 4-6 channel mixer. Looking at a rack mixer that is a cost effective approach as it is limited events and can be a small easy to use device that would supply signal to powered speakers. Is the Shure Scm268 an option or should I be looking for something a bit more flexible?  Again it's 1-2 mics for announcements and background music into powered speakers. I have done this using direct boxes and worked well in the last pinch. I just have no use for a console less than 24 channels now or in the future.

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
Re: Small mixer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »

I have been getting more and more needs for events that have a speaker/announcer(s) and background music. The smallest console I have is 24 channels which is not an issue setting up to do these events although overkill the problem is some of these smaller functions are overlapping bigger events. This ties up resources and labor and hence why I am looking for a small 4-6 channel mixer. Looking at a rack mixer that is a cost effective approach as it is limited events and can be a small easy to use device that would supply signal to powered speakers. Is the Shure Scm268 an option or should I be looking for something a bit more flexible?  Again it's 1-2 mics for announcements and background music into powered speakers. I have done this using direct boxes and worked well in the last pinch. I just have no use for a console less than 24 channels now or in the future.

I've been surprised at the quality of the Allen & Heath Zed 10 for the price. It's what I use in those situations. (I do not use the built-in efx, though they're a bit better than Mackie's baked-in efx)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

...I am looking for a small 4-6 channel mixer. Looking at a rack mixer that is a cost effective approach as it is limited events and can be a small easy to use device that would supply signal to powered speakers. Is the Shure Scm268 an option or should I be looking for something a bit more flexible?

The Soundcraft Ui series is pretty darn affordable.  Plus, the built-in WiFi can help in those situations where the Client doesn't want to see a console in the middle of their event.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 12:58:54 PM »

For a 1u rack mixer my low budget choice is the ART MX622:

http://artproaudio.com/mixers/product/mx622/

My higher budget choice would be the APB Dynasonics Prospec 1U4MS, which has full cueing capabilty:

http://apbdynasonics.com/downloads/ProSpec/ProSpec-1U-2015-NEW-ADDRESS-022715.pdf

There are choices in between from Whirlwind and others.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »

I was going to suggest a used Rane, but Mike's suggestion of the ART MX622 at the MSRP of $149.99 makes sense for low budget brand new.

Paul Kerber

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »

Ashly 308 or 508. Have both and they've been rock solid for years

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 08:14:42 PM »

The Soundcraft Ui series is pretty darn affordable.  Plus, the built-in WiFi can help in those situations where the Client doesn't want to see a console in the middle of their event.

Dave

I use a Soundcraft Ui 16 as well. I love not needing a snake. I have it in a road case with a Furman that I place near the band / hide behind something / etc. Be aware that some of the presets will raise the noise floor unacceptably high, but that you also don't have to use all the presets.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:32:01 PM »

I have been getting more and more needs for events that have a speaker/announcer(s) and background music. The smallest console I have is 24 channels which is not an issue setting up to do these events although overkill the problem is some of these smaller functions are overlapping bigger events.
Aaron, for events like this we roll in one rack that has everything I need.  It is loaded with an X32r Rack, 4 wireless, CD player and drawer for batteries.  I know that the X32r has more channels than you need, but it also doubles as a small club mixer for bands.  Anyway, it seems to work for us and you would be surprised at how ofter we use this little $900 piece of equipment.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »

Bill

This has crossed my mind and is a perfect configuration the way you have it setup. I currently have a wireless rack setup and four spaces empty.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »

Bill

This has crossed my mind and is a perfect configuration the way you have it setup. I currently have a wireless rack setup and four spaces empty.
Aaron might be time to fill them up and have one to spare.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.