ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it worth buying a Mac Pro now?  (Read 11616 times)

Bryan French

Re: Is it worth buying a Mac Pro now?
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 01:22:07 am »

Who is doing more in computer announcements these days?

I was more impressed with the Microsoft announcements on Wednesday than I was with the Mac updates. I do amateur photography on the side and Apple doesn't offer me anything close to what the Surface Studio can do at the price point Microsoft is offering it. I was a bit bummed to hear it's not getting released until early next year....

Bryan French

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 01:33:07 am »

So, speaking of adding SSDs to the system...

I know you can buy PCIe cards to use NVMe SSDs in a system and gain the advantages of the new super fast V-NAND SSDs like the Samsung 950 Pro. Would this still work with a PCIe card in an Thunderbolt expansion chassis, like the Sonnet Tech xMac Pro Server? Will you still get the nearly 1,500MB/s write speeds? Or will they throttle back to the 750MB/s speeds that the traditional SSDs get with more traditional SSDs?

Assuming everything is colpatible, the throughput of Thunderbolt 2 wouldn't be a limiting factor. Thunderbolt 2 offers 2 bi-directional 20Gbps, or 2,500 MB/s channels. Card compatibility would be something to ask sonnet about, though.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2016, 02:47:49 am »

I was more impressed with the Microsoft announcements on Wednesday than I was with the Mac updates. I do amateur photography on the side and Apple doesn't offer me anything close to what the Surface Studio can do at the price point Microsoft is offering it. I was a bit bummed to hear it's not getting released until early next year....
The MS Surface Studio is cool, but no Thunderbolt or USB-C ports and no PCIe slots...so where how and where do you connect your Protools HD Native or HDX cards?

All these new computers seem great for photogs and graphics designers, but fall short for us audio people who have some very specific connectivity requirements and need secondary and tertiary storage drives.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Jelmer de Jong

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2016, 09:33:54 am »

So, speaking of adding SSDs to the system...

I know you can buy PCIe cards to use NVMe SSDs in a system and gain the advantages of the new super fast V-NAND SSDs like the Samsung 950 Pro. Would this still work with a PCIe card in an Thunderbolt expansion chassis, like the Sonnet Tech xMac Pro Server? Will you still get the nearly 1,500MB/s write speeds? Or will they throttle back to the 750MB/s speeds that the traditional SSDs get with more traditional SSDs?
Bandwidth is more than enough, latency is higher than a internal solution. If you do not care about latency the external solution will be fine. Rear/Write latency is generally a issue with high, but small and unpredictable I/O like a database or running multiple operating systems via Parallels/VMware. Your 56ch audio project with a video or two doesn't suffer from the additional latency(less than a ms) of a external PCI chassis.

Bryan French

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 11:36:16 am »

The MS Surface Studio is cool, but no Thunderbolt or USB-C ports and no PCIe slots...so where how and where do you connect your Protools HD Native or HDX cards?

All these new computers seem great for photogs and graphics designers, but fall short for us audio people who have some very specific connectivity requirements and need secondary and tertiary storage drives.

I didn't intend to recommend the surface studio for audio use, it was more of a reply to the question about who else is making waves in the computer world these days.

Back to your original question, then. As I understand it, you need a computer to record 64 channels of audio and drive 3-4 displays. The Mac Pro with an external hard drive bay is the only offering from Apple that I would recommend for your use case. If you're comfortable leaving the Apple camp then there's plenty of workstation class PC towers that would be able to handle your storage requirements internally and have the graphical horsepower to drive your displays.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 11:36:16 am »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 22 queries.