ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI over IP  (Read 4895 times)

Steven Peer

HDMI over IP
« on: October 14, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »

Hi. We will be redoing our school building. We have cat cable in every classroom. We want to transfer hdmi video signals to the classrooms using our existing cat cable. We have decided to invest in an hdmi over ip solution. There are several brands on the market such as Atlona Omnistream, Gefen, Hall Research, Key digital, ZeeVee, etc. Is anyone familiar with others brands and technologies? I want to understand the differences and prices between them. Any help will be much appreciated.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting rules
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 06:15:26 PM »

Any help will be much appreciated.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: HDMI over IP
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 03:37:08 AM »

Hi. We will be redoing our school building. We have cat cable in every classroom. We want to transfer hdmi video signals to the classrooms using our existing cat cable. We have decided to invest in an hdmi over ip solution. There are several brands on the market such as Atlona Omnistream, Gefen, Hall Research, Key digital, ZeeVee, etc. Is anyone familiar with others brands and technologies? I want to understand the differences and prices between them. Any help will be much appreciated.

It's not so much that you have structured wiring to the classrooms (what Category is it anyway? Cat is meaningless) the key is what switches do you have?  You need switched gigabit to every connection if you want to do 1080x

All the systems you quoted are very pricey.  We have done many school districts and are normally the contractor for the IP Phone system, school bell, data and video network.

If you want to send the same programming to every classroom a multicast solution requires much less back end processing power.  If you want a V.O.D. type of system you need to design based on how many concurrent streams.

If you have an on site IT coordinator you may find that a solution based on open standards for webcasting is far more economical and sustainable in a K-12 environment.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steven Peer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »

This is private school. We want to show special study movies. I will test this equipment https://bzbexpress.com/OmniStream-Atlona-encoder-decoder-av-ip-Omni-Stream/ on next week.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »

This is private school. We want to show special study movies. I will test this equipment https://bzbexpress.com/OmniStream-Atlona-encoder-decoder-av-ip-Omni-Stream/ on next week.

As Scott said, what is the speed of your network? What switches are used?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 11:40:32 PM »

Sent from

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob notice the odd sentence construction?  The fact my questions were not answered.

I think what we have here is a semi-automated link spammer.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 04:45:48 PM »

Having used Gefen equipment for this purpose in the past, the entire infrastructure from source to endpoint MUST support "jumbo frames" -- an MTU greater than 1500 up to 9000 (I don't remember the exact value Gefen requires). That means switches, fiber media converters, etc. must be jumbo-frame (and gigabit) capable. The Gefen devices use multicast discovery to find each other, so they expect to be on the same network segment. A router between the devices may render them inoperable.

I don't know about other brands, and there may be some Gefen equipment that doesn't have those requirements.

The above may not apply in your situation, but it's something to be aware of in case you can't seem to get it to work.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:48:53 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

George Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 11:02:19 PM »

It's not over IP, but I'd suggest you'll have better results with something like HDBaseT as long as the 100m distance or the use of boosters isn't an issue.

RickMurphy

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

FULL DISCLOSE: I am a distributor of Just Add Power, Liberty (Intelix), and Atlona, each of whom offer these systems.

Note that it's not 'HDMI over IP' as in you encode and plug into an existing switch that is also being used for other traffic. "The speed of the network" is irrelevant. These systems need very specific switches that are dedicated to this system.

You also need dedicated CatX cable runs to each source encoder and to each decoder at each display fed back to the switch. They don't like wallplate terminations or patch bays, so point-to-point from switch to device is a best practice.

You can use stackable switches, interconnected with fiber, if you need to add sources/displays in areas at greater distances than the 100M range of CatX.

These systems have their own dedicated gigabit switches, and they are managed switches that simply connect the port on the switch that is connected to the source encoder to the port(s) on the switch that are connected to the appropriate decoder end points at each display.
Rick Murphy
2ndRick

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.