ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QOS and Dante  (Read 17429 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: QOS and Dante
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »

Its easier than you might think to get to those kinds of numbers which is way getting the basics down is so important when using Dante gear

FOH console rack =two switches
Monitor console rack = two switches
RIO one rack = two switches
RIO two rack = two switches
video world RIO rack = two switches
Record mix rack = two switches

And we haven't even gotten to the locations in the other halls that are cheaper to reach with 2000 ft of fiber and a couple of rented RIOs than to run copper.

Thank goodness cisco came out with the switches that are almost all SFP ports. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg300-10sfp-10-port-gigabit-managed-sfp-switch/model.html

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »

Thank goodness cisco came out with the switches that are almost all SFP ports. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg300-10sfp-10-port-gigabit-managed-sfp-switch/model.html

"real" Cisco has had these for years.  Not a big fan of the rebranded Linksys stuff.  The GUI is bloated the CLI incomplete.  You can get a Nexus 5k for under 2k  N5K-C5010P-BF that's not a bog additional spend.  Instead of messing with VLAN trunking I would imagine a large production network could utilize Data Center Bridging.

There is a reason why Cisco switching has 90% of the core business.  There are alternatives, Juniper, Extreme Networks and Huawei.

The Ubiquity, Alcatel/Lucent  née  Nortel and a host of others are second tier gear. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »

"real" Cisco has had these for years.  Not a big fan of the rebranded Linksys stuff.  The GUI is bloated the CLI incomplete.  You can get a Nexus 5k for under 2k  N5K-C5010P-BF that's not a bog additional spend.  Instead of messing with VLAN trunking I would imagine a large production network could utilize Data Center Bridging.

That's all great for the IT professional, however the idea is that this is an SG-300 switch which is what audinate recommends and what almost every setup guide is written for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 04:49:21 PM »

Its easier than you might think to get to those kinds of numbers which is why getting the basics down is so important when using Dante gear

FOH console rack =two switches
Monitor console rack = two switches
RIO one rack = two switches
RIO two rack = two switches
video world RIO rack = two switches
Record mix rack = two switches

And we haven't even gotten to the locations in the other halls that are cheaper to reach with 2000 ft of fiber and a couple of rented RIOs than to run copper.

I wasn't counting the secondary network...  :)

But your point is well made.  It's a little too easy to get lazy when we're just hooking up a RIO to a console or two.  But these things have a tendency to spiral out of control very quickly.  Best to use best practices from the get go...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 07:22:50 PM »

Anyone tried the Yamaha switches yet?
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/swp1/index.jsp

Looking at using them on my tour next year. Networking is the only place where I run into problems with Yamaha gear plus I'd like to run fibre to FOH.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Dave Stevens

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »

The SG300 line offers outstanding value for the features required.  It's not a NOC or data center and doesn't need the robust feature set of the more expensive enterprise models.  We can afford pretty much any switch solution we want but haven't found a reason to use the enterprise switches for these apps that justifies the added expense.  When you start looking at cost/benefit as the system scales the use of enterprise level switches compared to small business/workgroup it's not a contest. The switching and forwarding rates are well within the scope of the requirements.   It's a good choice for this app.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »

Anyone tried the Yamaha switches yet?
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/swp1/index.jsp

Looking at using them on my tour next year. Networking is the only place where I run into problems with Yamaha gear plus I'd like to run fibre to FOH.

Yes, we're using them. They work well, and are very nicely packaged. 

We were able to use the same fiber GBICs from our Cisco SG300 switches to add single-mode fiber.  Took a little futzing around with the config file since that stuff isn't in the GUI yet, but it was fairly easy. By default those two ports are in spanning tree mode.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 11:50:37 PM »

Yes, we're using them. They work well, and are very nicely packaged.
Good to know. Seemed like the missing link and something Yamaha should probably have had from the start... 

By default those two ports are in spanning tree mode.
I know little of such things. Is this a good thing?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 12:29:24 AM »

Good to know. Seemed like the missing link and something Yamaha should probably have had from the start...
The Yamaha Dante switch is a pretty slick piece.  Anyone have street prices?
I know little of such things. Is this a good thing?

From the intertubes:  Where two bridges are used to interconnect the same two computer network segments, spanning tree is a protocol that allows the bridges to exchange information so that only one of them will handle a given message that is being sent between two computers within the network. The spanning tree protocol prevents the condition known as a bridge loop.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Stevens

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 02:11:57 AM »

The SWP1-16MMF is about US$2100.  Quite a bit more than a 24 port SOHO switch but much better packaging and software UI.  The packaging and UI is the value add that commands the premium. I doubt there is any network performance advantage compared to a traditional switch but ease of use is a great feature.   If it's for portable sound the fibercon/ethercon connections could be worth the price alone.  I'd reckon as twisted pair continues to disappear these sorts of devices will be integrated into the converter/stage boxes and consoles minimizing the need for external switches.  For our app we don't move them and pay knuckleheads like me to ride herd on the gear but were I still touring or running a touring company this is a no brainer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 02:11:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 23 queries.