ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing diaphragm question  (Read 2580 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Replacing diaphragm question
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:09:52 PM »

I have a friend who is attempting to replace the diaphragm in a JBL 2453H compression driver. He said it requires some soldering. I've never heard of that before.

I've never replaced a diaphragm in that model before. Isn't it pretty much like a similar JBL driver? Or is there something special required to do the replacement?

Thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Replacing diaphragm question
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 12:23:19 PM »

I have a friend who is attempting to replace the diaphragm in a JBL 2453H compression driver. He said it requires some soldering. I've never heard of that before.

I've never replaced a diaphragm in that model before. Isn't it pretty much like a similar JBL driver? Or is there something special required to do the replacement?

Thanks
From the photos I see online-it "appears" to be a drop in replacement.

Some Hf drivers (JBL and other brands) need to be soldered in, others just drop in.

Some HF drivers need to be aligned or they will rub and distort and make ugly sounds.  Others are "self aligning" and just drop in.

Some need to be put in the right position (they have small notches where the lead in wires go) or they can fail early.

Some (older JBLs) have to be wired up properly or they will be out of polarity.

Some need to have the proper shims applied (the shims usually stay with the driver-NOT the diaphragm)

ALL drivers need to have the gap cleaned before installing a new diaphragm.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:08:55 PM »

Thanks

It's a self aligning drop in replacement. If this is in a genuine JBL speaker system they use spade lug disconnects and no soldering should be necessary.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »

It's a self aligning drop in replacement. If this is in a genuine JBL speaker system they use spade lug disconnects and no soldering should be necessary.

That's what I thought.

It's from a VRX915M. Should be "drop and drive"...after a good cleaning of coarse.

I'll get him to bring it by. I would like to see it for myself

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »

Just a follow up:

It turns out when you order the replacement kit for this model, it comes in what JBL calls a "basket" .

You can get just the diaphragm, but does require some soldering. Little difference in cost. I don't know why you would order without the basket.  :o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 12:40:12 PM by Jamin Lynch »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »

I'm no speaker guy but I recently replaced surrounds on two different pairs of (hifi/studio) speakers. One with 6" woofers and another with 8". Both were self centering so easier than I feared.

If you can replace a drop in assembly instead of just the diaphragm that sounds easier. If you have to do a lot of these the cheaper solution may make sense.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »

While not directly related to this subject, I have replaced 2 drivers so far in my career! It is much easier than I thought and is made out to be. The hardest part is the cleaning of the old glue.

It makes sense that if he ordered only the diaphragm that he would have to solder it. I would have also gone for the full assembly just to ease the install.

I say that if you ever blow a speaker and want to save a few bucks, by all means get a recone kit and do it yourself. It is not very hard at all and if you get one that comes with the glue and gap aligner, it will be a breeze. Mine are still functioning!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 02:50:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 25 queries.