ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ubiquity Bullet update  (Read 12748 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Ubiquity Bullet update
« on: October 08, 2016, 07:32:10 AM »

Review....setting up the Ubiquity Bullet M5 to allow remote control of Yamaha consoles via the iPad app.

I spent a lot of time trying to get this device to work in the "access point-bridge" mode that was recommended by others.
Used the same config as indicated by others with working solutions.
No success. None. Nada.Zip. :(
The iPad app could not get passed the "no WiFi available" warning in the control software even though the iPad and M5 showed a wireless connection. ???
Another tech, with some network experience suggested using the "router" mode.
So after some fussing about, this is the setup that finally worked.

- the iPad receives ip  via DHCP in the 192.168.0.30-90 range
- the console is addressed static in the 192.168.10.xxx range.

While I am happy it works, I really don't understand why and also can't figure out why it would not work based on other successful setups.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:52:48 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Ubiquity Bullet update
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 09:06:19 AM »

I have a Picostation and a Nanostation M5. I had a hell of a time getting the Picostation to do anything other than the factory-reset style setup. The Nanostation M5 has worked wonderfully. It has given me no troubles whatsoever.

There seems to be some weirdness with their web-based control software from piece to piece.

FWIW, I was basically using them in the same situation. As a network extender for FOH use. I had a router that did DHCP and connected to all of my gear already in place. I just needed something to provide coverage for FOH use. The Picostation was my first try. It was 2.4 ghz. Never could get it working as an extender or a bridge. I then bought the Nanostation as a 5Ghz upgrade and I didn't have any troubles setting it up. It's been in use for about 2 years now with no issues.

I use the Picostation for an XR18 in a rack now. I just left it in its factory setup. It's fine for that.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »

The Nanostation M5 has worked wonderfully. It has given me no troubles whatsoever.

How directional do you find the Nanostation?
Like if you're behind it is it a total blackout or just reduced range?

Jason

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:49 AM »

Jason

Here is the polar plot.  The cross polarization loss is listed as -28db, that is very significant.  You will never get the antenna and the receiver 180 degrees out to reach the maximum loss but it is still enough that you could move quickly through nulls and experience high error rates.

Also when looking at the plot it is important to realize the pattern is orthogonal to the plane further exacerbating lobing.

You need to work inside the major lobe and it's still not going to be as good as a dipole.  While you do get additional gain that usually is not relevant as the talk in from the endpoints doesn't have equal gain.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 06:12:54 AM »

Here is the polar plot.  The cross polarization loss is listed as -28db, that is very significant.  You will never get the antenna and the receiver 180 degrees out to reach the maximum loss but it is still enough that you could move quickly through nulls and experience high error rates.

Also when looking at the plot it is important to realize the pattern is orthogonal to the plane further exacerbating lobing.

You need to work inside the major lobe and it's still not going to be as good as a dipole.  While you do get additional gain that usually is not relevant as the talk in from the endpoints doesn't have equal gain.
When I contacted the supplier about the Bullet, the Nano Station was suggested but when I looked up the antenna plot, it seemed that it would not suit my needs.
Looks like this is designed as a ceiling mount solution.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

Jason

Behind my Nanostation is the stage the band is on. It always works but I'm close to it (under 100 feet). It typically works very well off to the sides too. I very rarely lose connection even when a few 100 feet away. In front of it I feel like I can walk for miles and still have full signal. It just goes and goes and goes.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 11:52:18 AM »

I'm interested in learning a bit more about this Ubiquity stuff.
I'm mostly using QU mixers but occasionally run into an M7 or LS9 or X32. I was using a Linksys 5g router and suffered several dropouts per show over the last few years. Bought an AE last year and that worked much better, but still get some dropouts and have a range of maybe 200' at best. Did the usual things folks suggest: use 5g, hide SSID, line of sight etc.
I do work with a couple of groups that use iphones to control their IEM, and I often use Luminair to control lighting on appropriate shows, so I still need a way to incorporate those scenarios.
If you were starting fresh what would specific units would you use for a mostly reliable, decent distance (300'+ would be great).
I'm currently using the AE with a lan switch for Luminair use with OK results, but limited distance as mentioned.
Cheers. BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »

While I am happy it works, I really don't understand why and also can't figure out why it would not work based on other successful setups.
Soooooo...It failed to work again so I have relegated it to the perfect place.
When I spend more time fixing the tool than using it, this is where it belongs.
Made a great sound going in too!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:02:43 AM by Keith Broughton »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 01:15:29 AM »

Soooooo...I failed to work again so I have relegated it to the perfect place.
When I spend more time fixing the tool than using it, this is where it belongs.
Made a great sound going in too!

Yeah loved the form factor, the brand has other great products.  The one is still sitting on the floor next to my couch.  Never got it to work right.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »

Yeah loved the form factor, the brand has other great products.  The one is still sitting on the floor next to my couch.  Never got it to work right.
Annoys me that I spend real money for a real product and no love.
My Apple Airport Express went in the same bin.
Use a cheap "router" from Bestbuy and it works ever time!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.