ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Providing Wi-fi for an event...  (Read 4198 times)

Chris Edwards

Providing Wi-fi for an event...
« on: May 04, 2017, 11:58:59 PM »

This is outside of my field of expertise so please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.  I have an event coming up where the client has asked if we can provide wifi on-site for about 100 people.  The client does not think there will be 100 people using wi-fi at the same time.  They just want to have it available for the guests if needed.  The venue is on the penthouse level of a hotel.

My questions...

What are some options to provide internet connectivity?  I guess I am asking if you could use hot spots from a cellular carrier.

What kind of equipment is needed?

Is it hard to setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Providing Wi-fi for an event...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:07:51 AM »

This is outside of my field of expertise so please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.  I have an event coming up where the client has asked if we can provide wifi on-site for about 100 people.  The client does not think there will be 100 people using wi-fi at the same time.  They just want to have it available for the guests if needed.  The venue is on the penthouse level of a hotel.

My questions...

What are some options to provide internet connectivity?  I guess I am asking if you could use hot spots from a cellular carrier.

Is it hard to setup?

A 4G hot spot is going to be unusable at 10 connections.

Is cellular coverage poor in the penthouse?  What is the reason for the access?   Is it a party or a business event.

In any case you would need a decent access point and router.  There are devices that can aggregate the connection of multiple 4G  modems.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »

. . .

My questions...

Is it hard to setup?

Check with the hotel and see if they offer a wired internet connection. If they do it's not difficult to set up your own wireless network with a router and WAP. I do this when I travel because hotel wi-fi is notoriously insecure.

If it's a big hotel I'd suggest checking in with their IT staff before doing something like this with so many people. They may be trying to bill the client for such a service and may frown upon you providing a workaround over their network.

If there is a wired internet connection available, a consumer grade WAP/router will work for basic internet browsing type stuff, to an extent. If network usage will be high, you would have to get into MIMO gear and the whole thing gets much more complex and expensive.

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-share-a-hotel-rooms-internet-connection-over-wi-fi--mac-52710
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:17:10 AM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »

Check with the hotel and see if they offer a wired internet connection. If they do it's not difficult to set up your own wireless network with a router and WAP. I do this when I travel because hotel wi-fi is notoriously insecure.

If it's a big hotel I'd suggest checking in with their IT staff before doing something like this with so many people. They may be trying to bill the client for such a service and may frown upon you providing a workaround over their network.

If there is a wired internet connection available, a consumer grade WAP/router will work for basic internet browsing type stuff, to an extent. If network usage will be high, you would have to get into MIMO gear and the whole thing gets much more complex and expensive.

https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-share-a-hotel-rooms-internet-connection-over-wi-fi--mac-52710

The bolded text is my guess.  The client got the estimate for in-house WiFi and had a 'pucker moment'.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »

The bolded text is my guess.  The client got the estimate for in-house WiFi and had a 'pucker moment'.

My experience is that hotels frown on client supplied WiFi access. That is a service they sell. You also have the issue of providing enough bandwidth for multiple users.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »

My experience is that hotels frown on client supplied WiFi access. That is a service they sell. You also have the issue of providing enough bandwidth for multiple users.

Mac

I agree with Mac - pre arrange with the hotel.  What are they viewing?  If it's more than just email like streaming video don't count on Hotel ability. 

Hire an internet company, Like Clair Data services, Scott Appleton ([email protected]) to do it.  They regularly supply stadiums with systems to do streaming for 10's of thousands at a time.  The Hotel probably wouldn't object if you needed that capability but will charge for the main connection based on your expected user load.  The last thing you want is promising to do the wifi and the client hating the service.

It's not too hard to setup but is complicated and needs a tech with it.  It is not inexpensive.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »

I don't know if it's still being done, but hotels used to intentionally jam hotspot signals.  Marriott was notorious for this.

John R.
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »

I'll just leave this here. . .

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

I don't know if it's still being done, but hotels used to intentionally jam hotspot signals.  Marriott was notorious for this.

John R.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Shawn Keck

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »

Here ya go...these guys developed a plug and play box just for your kind of event and they can manage it remotley. It is a souped up cell data hotspot on steroids but it uses multiple bonded cards from multiple providers and they pair with access points to handle the number of users you need. We use them all the time to bypass hotel wifi charges for events.

It is dependent on having decent cell data coverage by one or more of the major carriers but that is usually not a problem unless you are in the sticks or buried in a basement. Not ideal if you need massive bandwidth, but if you just need basic wifi for general use it is a great solution.

They just did part of the 2016 presidential election campaign.

http://www.mobileskyfi.com
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:40:01 PM by Shawn Keck »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:33:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.