ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Go away Matthew  (Read 4597 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Go away Matthew
« on: October 06, 2016, 10:55:06 PM »

My daughter, son-in-law and grandkids live in Jupiter Florida.

Fortunately they left early and are staying with friends in Alabama

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Go away Matthew
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »

Still have power and internet in the Cape Canaveral area!  Let's see how long that lasts... 

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 08:57:58 AM »

Still have power and internet in the Cape Canaveral area!  Let's see how long that lasts...

Looks like the eye just missed you. How bad did it get were you are?

Stay safe

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 11:24:21 AM »

Looks like the eye just missed you. How bad did it get were you are?

Stay safe
Thanks!  So far so good.  I haven't ventured outside yet since the wind is still quite strong, but no catastrophic damage as was expected.  A few trees down here and there, but at least for me, no flooding or broken windows.  I haven't lost power for more than a few minutes here and there either.  The eye staying off shore really helped with that!  Hope the same is true with your family's property! 

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 09:49:54 PM »

We were expecting 40-60 mph winds inland here in Gainesville, but the eye moving that 15 miles or so off shore really helped us a ton. My folks live in St Augustine and while their property is fine overall the nation's oldest city got hit real hard.

One of my techs lives in Jacksonville and they got tons of flooding. The coast got pretty F'd up too.

We lost a ton of work as October/November is our big money time. Really hit us hard in the wallet, but glad it missed us otherwise.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »

Sorry to hear about the lost work Eric.  I'm afraid of the same thing happening to me.  No cancellations yet, but folks might still be out of power/internet and I'm sure calling me isn't their first priority.  I'm still waiting to hear if next weekend's work is going to happen.  Thankfully, my equipment and van survived without a scratch (and me too).  I never lost power much during the storm, but my internet went out for most of the day today.  Some property I own north of my in Oak Hill was hit much harder.  It's just an orange grove, so not a whole lot to lose (and all but maybe 3 or 4 trees out of a few hundred made it just fine), but the parcel will probably be out of power for a week or so.  Best of luck to you, your family, and friends as you clean up the mess!  Please let me know if I can be of service to you in any way!

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:50:08 PM »

Sorry to hear about the lost work Eric.  I'm afraid of the same thing happening to me.  No cancellations yet, but folks might still be out of power/internet and I'm sure calling me isn't their first priority.  I'm still waiting to hear if next weekend's work is going to happen.  Thankfully, my equipment and van survived without a scratch (and me too).  I never lost power much during the storm, but my internet went out for most of the day today.  Some property I own north of my in Oak Hill was hit much harder.  It's just an orange grove, so not a whole lot to lose (and all but maybe 3 or 4 trees out of a few hundred made it just fine), but the parcel will probably be out of power for a week or so.  Best of luck to you, your family, and friends as you clean up the mess!  Please let me know if I can be of service to you in any way!

Likewise, glad all is ok! Fortunately most of my work rescheduled their events, so net loses were not as bad as originally thought. Originally we were looking at losing the equivalent of two weeks payroll for our 6 man team. That would have been pretty devastating as we just came out of the slow summer and reserves are pretty much tapped out. Again, I'm super grateful that it wasn't worse and actually very glad people took it seriously and evacuated and canceled football games and tailgates, etc.
 Now next weekend we a triple booked, but we got this ;)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »

Likewise, glad all is ok! Fortunately most of my work rescheduled their events, so net loses were not as bad as originally thought. Originally we were looking at losing the equivalent of two weeks payroll for our 6 man team. That would have been pretty devastating as we just came out of the slow summer and reserves are pretty much tapped out. Again, I'm super grateful that it wasn't worse and actually very glad people took it seriously and evacuated and canceled football games and tailgates, etc.
 Now next weekend we a triple booked, but we got this ;)
Eric,

If you get more work than you can handle, give me a call, I have not used my system on a single gig since moving to DeLand, Florida last June.

Matthew hit us pretty hard here, my neighbor just got his power back on after a tree branch took his lines down noon last Friday. The same gust dropped a 60 pound branch onto my rental house' roof, piercing a hole about six feet from my desk, where I was typing an e-mail to the landlord telling her things didn't seem so bad...

Walking around the block saw electrical lines down in a half dozen spots, and most of DeLand looked similar. Power transformers were blowing like giant fireworks, coloring the night sky with various colors depending on their vintage and type.  Considering the extent of the damages, I did not expect power to be restored within a week.

Saturday, after clearing a path from the back yard, I pulled my travel trailer around front so it's solar panel would be in the sun so the inverter could run the refrigerator, got it hooked up at 2:45. After about an hour the batteries were getting low, so I disconnected the refrigerator to let them charge back up, and start to repair the hasp that broke off while breaking the fence gate when I pulled the trailer around, snaking around debris.
After another half hour the batteries had recovered, so I went back in to plug the refrigerator back in, much to my surprise the power had been restored!

I spent around 4 hours replacing the lock hasp, fixing the marker light and wood fence gate.

Bonnie left a day early (last Wednesday) on a previously scheduled drive up to New York to avoid the rains predicted before Matthew, so fortunately she didn't have to go through the mess. Sleep patterns have been pretty screwed up since she left...

I have spent today continuing to clear debris, in addition to around 1000 pounds of branches lugged out to the street over the weekend, am now on bag #16 from the back yard, still have the front left to do, then get to mow the lawn- all the rain has been good for the grass ;^).

I'll be re-parking the trailer in the sunny portion of the back yard, away from the trees...

Cheers,

Art
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:16:38 PM by Art Welter »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »

And now we're about to get a taste of it here in the Pacific Northwest, with the remains of Super Typhoon Songda expected to hit the Washington and Oregon coasts.

Forecast is for heavy rain this afternoon and evening, with wind gusts around 40 MPH, and a second dose on Saturday.

Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 04:10:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.