ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable ramp source  (Read 5859 times)

Kevin Bayersdorfer

Re: Cable ramp source
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »

Where did you get a quote from? Planning on shopping around for a better rate when I get some down time.

Also, so that this isn't a complete thread hijack... I have a few of those electriduct ramps and they work pretty well. Might want to let them air out a bit if you buy a bunch, they have a pretty strong rubber smell at first.
Quote was from a friend I used to do sound for. He is a private Ins contractor

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 05:41:02 PM »

I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Channel-Cable-Protector-Straight/dp/B004I77CQ6?th=1

Be careful with these.

Reading the reviews, several people comment about a strong chemical odor.

I didn't get these, but got some 4 deep-channel ones from discountramps.com

They also had a ridiculously strong chemical odor, and were impossible to use indoors and marginal outdoors. The stench was just obnoxious and intolerable.

I've left them out in the weather for 4 solid years now and they are just getting to where I can use them indoors, although there is still a noticeable smell but our world has a lot of smells and this one is down in the murk rather than way out on top. My engineer kids tell me the smell will never completely go away, but it seems to be some kind of downward curve and it does get into an acceptable zone.

If I were doing it again I would not buy rubber ones but would go with some kind of hard plastic.

YMMV.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »

They do smell initially, yes.  My understanding is that this is just a bit of outgassing from the manufacturing process.  While the odor was quite strong when I opened the boxes, it wore off after about a week or so.  Though I never had the need to do this, some have said leaving them outside for a few days in the sun and rain will help speed things along.  I'm not sure how my ramps differ from yours Dan, but the smell on mine wore off much faster to the point that after about 2 weeks it was completely gone.  You could ride in a hot car/van with them and never know!   

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »

For a series of outdoor shows at the beach, not by the sand, we set up about 100 feet from the stage. We run the cables in the grass except for a concrete path (some would call it a sidewalk) that we have to cross. We have been using the Bumble Bee ramps for crossing the path. It takes 3 of them for the path so the path is about 9 feet wide. We don’t have the handicapped version, I wish we did. We haven’t had anyone complain yet but we have had a few people struggle a little to get over it. We usually tell them to go on the grass and just roll over the cables. Occasionally someone seems to catch the cables on the grass but it is usually kids playing with the cables. The cables in the grass seem to be less of a problem then the ramps. One critical thing in these cable runs is how the cables are always properly coiled so when you lay them out they lie flat and not spiraled along the run.

For some reason this year we have had a few people trip on the ramps. I thought that the parks lighting was enough that people could easily see the ramps to step on or over them. Then I noticed a little bit after the first tripping that one of the areas lights was blown and even though I tried to bring it to their attention it stayed that way for the rest of the summer. And this was a light that covered this paths area. But even before that I went out and bought a strip of LED lights (daylight color temp) and put them in the Bumble Bees. Then I bought another strip to add to the first one. I run them thru the outer channels and then back in again and around and around. I want to get one more strip to add for more even light. This has helped a lot. The mix tent is about 20 feet farther out then the end of the cable ramps. I use a yellow extension cord to go back to the ramps from the FOH power. I like the visibility of that cord in the grass for the LED lights.

I think there is a little bit of alcohol involved in the trippers (people who tripped). I will try to insert a couple of pictures I took of the ramps with the light in them. I took one in the daylight so you could see the detail and then I took 2 at night without a flash to show the effect of the light but they didn’t come out really good. But you get the idea. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.