ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Live vocal processors and feedback  (Read 4536 times)

Jeffrey l jones

Live vocal processors and feedback
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »

Is there a simple vocal harmonizer stomp box that doesn't create a super hot signal, and prone to feedback?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Live vocal processors and feedback
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:46:19 PM »

Is there a simple vocal harmonizer stomp box that doesn't create a super hot signal, and prone to feedback?
Gain makes feedback more likely,,, If you can keep the processing out of the monitors that might help.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve Garris

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:32:55 PM »

While I'm not a fan of these things, this unit has given me the least grief at gigs:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TCEVOICELIVEPLAY?siid=108889&-aMBEiQA-WzDMQfKdZa6i6x3s3BeWDqUMBB6bejRY5lCPqdXbSX5D0oaAu7-8P8HAQ=

Derrick Bordelon

• Baton Rouge, Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »

Most of these types of processors have a mic input gain control. Either digitally controlled in the menu like the TC-Helicon mentioned above or a small analog dial/knob usually located on the side. Setting the mic gain on the processor will help a lot.
I have worked with so many people that own them and have no idea there is a mic gain control on them.

Jason Fultz

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »

I use a DigiTech vocalist 2 super easy it has gain control on the back .
It's harmonies are keyed off guitar signal input that is passed through the unit two switches simple on and off for the effects in it.
Used subtly and with discretion it is a great unit live .

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:52:23 PM »

While I'm not a fan of these things, this unit has given me the least grief at gigs:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--TCEVOICELIVEPLAY?siid=108889&-aMBEiQA-WzDMQfKdZa6i6x3s3BeWDqUMBB6bejRY5lCPqdXbSX5D0oaAu7-8P8HAQ=
I have that one too (as well as a couple of their other harmonizers).

If you use the auto "tone" setting for any of their harmonizers/vocal processors, it gives you great sounding sibilant vocals ..... and HF feedback IME.  Stay away from that kind of gimmick and you are OK in most cases.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »

Other than that they're all the work of the very devil himself...

The problem is more likely to be all that additional harmonic content than extra gain (which should be resolved by simple gain staging).  Best thing is to feed monitors with just the dry signal.  Voice processor in wedge mix is a recipe for trouble!

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »

Quick fix:

Y-cord on the mic, one leg to the FX unit, one leg straight to the desk.
This way you have a clean signal that´s easy to manage IF the gain is off in the FX unit.
Simply put both the clean and the processed signal in the wedge on stage and, depending on the quality of the FX unit, the quality of the chosen FX preset and the artistic decision of the artist, put some clean singal in the mains as well.
Added bonus: Backup for when somebody steps on the PSU and the FX unit dies in the middle of  a song.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 02:58:58 PM »

Quick fix:

This way you have a clean signal that´s easy to manage IF the gain is off in the FX unit.
Simply put both the clean and the processed signal in the wedge on stage and, depending on the quality of the FX unit, the quality of the chosen FX preset and the artistic decision of the artist, put some clean singal in the mains as well.
Added bonus: Backup for when somebody steps on the PSU and the FX unit dies in the middle of  a song.

I mixed an opening-act set where that happened.  The act had their own stage package (mics/DIs, IEM rig, mixer & split to house) so I only got what they sent :(

When we supply I always want a Y split of the dry mic signal...  Always.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:26:59 AM »

Quick fix:

Hey

yeah the biggest problem I find with these units is that the singer/band always sets up all the settings etc in a very dry rehearsal room or in their bedroom, and so adds a LOT of FX into the mix. Then if they're used in an actual venue which is in any way a little lively itself, the natural reverb added to the already over the top processing just swamps everything and it sounds horrible.

Taking a y-split from the mics can work in a push, but the problem I find is that you'll have a slight delay between the direct signal and the processing of the unit. When its swamped with reverb you often don't notice, but when you use a fairly dry signal, or if they switch it to clean for something, you then get some phasey stuff happening that often isn't nice.

The best units I find have a left right out, and one can be set to clean and one to FX, but they both have the same delay added, so that when combined at the desk they stay in phase.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 05:26:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.