ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Distro use with Generator  (Read 2439 times)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Power Distro use with Generator
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:19:07 AM »

I am still trying to get my head around power distribution.
For this question I have just purchased an inverter generator:
http://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html
There is a 30 amp receptacle and two edison plugs for the 20 amp (all 120v).
Would I have more headroom with the generator by using a power distro plugged into the 30 amp plug or would it be comparable to using the regular outlets? I would be running two XTI 6002 amps, one at 4 ohms and one at 2 ohms, plus other powered equipment (mixer, computer, etc...). I know both amps running hard can flip a 20 amp breaker.
Also, for regular, inside use of my P.A., would you recommend a power distro or just run to standard outlets?

Thank You,
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Power Distro use with Generator
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:04:57 PM »

I am still trying to get my head around power distribution.
For this question I have just purchased an inverter generator:
http://www.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100wt-Peak-Digital-Inverter-Generator%2c-Electric-Start%2c-RV-Ready%2c-Parallel-Capable%2c-CARB-%2526-EPA-Certified%2c-Low-Decibels.product.100284958.html
There is a 30 amp receptacle and two edison plugs for the 20 amp (all 120v).
Would I have more headroom with the generator by using a power distro plugged into the 30 amp plug or would it be comparable to using the regular outlets? I would be running two XTI 6002 amps, one at 4 ohms and one at 2 ohms, plus other powered equipment (mixer, computer, etc...). I know both amps running hard can flip a 20 amp breaker.
Also, for regular, inside use of my P.A., would you recommend a power distro or just run to standard outlets?

Thank You,
Your generator claims 2800 watts running.  A normal 20A 120V circuit provides 2400 watts.  Since there is a surge component to audio power consumption, I really don't think there's anything useable left in the tank past just using the regular receptacle.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:06:20 PM »

Lance,

You'd see a SMALL (3.333A) increase in available power by using the 30A RV plug as opposed to the 5-20R circuit. The webpage linked to (remember, you can always use the [url=your url here]link text[/url] method to shorten that link!) shows it only has 2,800w running power, which is 23.3A. Now, if you got a box that would breaker the 30A RV plug into 2-20A circuits, then you'd be able to use that additional 3.33A. However, if the two circuits combined exceed 23.333A you'll start straining the generator.

Hope that makes sense!

As for the indoor usage, I'd run to standard outlets, looking for two different circuits. Utilizing the often-mentioned Poor Man's Distro would be beneficial in ensuring you avoid ground loop problems.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »

Thanks guys, makes perfect sense.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.