ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jbl 828p vs meyer650p  (Read 10699 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: jbl 828p vs meyer650p
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »

Spent LOTS of time with the 650P... it was one of the early subs to go down low and give some real action at 30Hz.  Its also as tight as a bowl of Jello.   I'm a huge Meyer fan boy, and love everything about everything they do.  But I would never buy 650P subs.  Maybe if I needed something for hip-hop but otherwise they are too slow, too sloppy, and nothing close to the output of modern large format subs.  Vs Mi boxes I'd take the Meyer, but otherwise nope.  They use Caire drivers with 3" voice coils, products from a different time.  New drivers have much more output, much lower power compression, and just sound better.

The Meyer 700 was a totally different sounding box and with a bit of wrestling at 90-100 Hz always sounds good assuming you have enough for the gig.  If you're looking at 700s then yes absolutely get them!

Hi Pat, I'm a bit of a Meyer fan boy too, and have (just one) 650-P still kicking. 
I think alot of folks, including me, expected the 650-P to be a 650-R2 replacement, only self-powered. 
But it's not. According to Meyer, the 650-P was built to mate with the MSL-4, with extraordinary phase alignment even for Meyer. 
I find the 650-P to be a highly refined sub.....tight as a stone....until you push it into limiting, which happens ALL too quick IMO...then you get the jello you speak of...

Anyway, at it's designed output level,  I would absolutely love to hear, probably even own, a huge ass WALL of 650-P's  :)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:21:55 PM »

zombie thread alert...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »

zombie thread alert...

I ain't no Zombie.....I eat salt.....everybody knows Zombies don't eat no salt...

Pat Semeraro

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 12:30:24 AM »

Mark, agree with all that you say and yes the r2 did have a certain mojo.  A wall of 650Ps, well out of limiting... would be a great thing in the right application. 

I'm a bit of a Meyer fan boy too,
Anyway, at it's designed output level,  I would absolutely love to hear, probably even own, a huge ass WALL of 650-P's  :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 02:17:47 AM »

Mark, agree with all that you say and yes the r2 did have a certain mojo.  A wall of 650Ps, well out of limiting... would be a great thing in the right application.

Not due to any planning, just random luck I ended up with 12 650R2's, processors (some with sense and some without) recone kits and a few baskets.  They have 2 things going for them 1 - They are paid for 2 - They say Meyer on them.

Long story not worth going into as not relevant but they will all be in one place in a few weeks and they are going to go out with 16 (two 8 box hangs) of FBT Muse 210's  We had two 4 box hangs and 6 of the 650R2's at CLE Pride this year and they did fairly well. 

I don't know how the P's compare to the R2's.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John durisko

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 05:58:26 PM »

Hi Pat, I'm a bit of a Meyer fan boy too, and have (just one) 650-P still kicking. 
I think alot of folks, including me, expected the 650-P to be a 650-R2 replacement, only self-powered. 
But it's not. According to Meyer, the 650-P was built to mate with the MSL-4, with extraordinary phase alignment even for Meyer. 
I find the 650-P to be a highly refined sub.....tight as a stone....until you push it into limiting, which happens ALL too quick IMO...then you get the jello you speak of...

We did a show a number of years ago when we had a dozen 650P's using the Hill M6 top's. 17 tops per side and 12-650P per side. It was amazing how much air was moved and how low it went. I remember when the 700HP was introduced thinking that the spec didn't go as low as the old 650's. Thinking how is that a replacement to the 650 when so many people loved the depth of them. It seems that every few years, a newer louder or lower sub is introduced and is all the rage. Ex: the 1100LFC then the VLFC. Seems it now takes two products to match what a wall of 650's would once complete.

Picture attached from during load in. I remember the roof and stage guys being about 16 hours behind schedule which had us start load in at like 10PM the night prior to the show. picture circa 2002!

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »

We did a show a number of years ago when we had a dozen 650P's using the Hill M6 top's. 17 tops per side and 12-650P per side. It was amazing how much air was moved and how low it went. I remember when the 700HP was introduced thinking that the spec didn't go as low as the old 650's. Thinking how is that a replacement to the 650 when so many people loved the depth of them. It seems that every few years, a newer louder or lower sub is introduced and is all the rage. Ex: the 1100LFC then the VLFC. Seems it now takes two products to match what a wall of 650's would once complete.

Picture attached from during load in. I remember the roof and stage guys being about 16 hours behind schedule which had us start load in at like 10PM the night prior to the show. picture circa 2002!

I would have loved to heard that....thx for posting.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »

I would have loved to heard that....thx for posting.

Come to Cleveland, we can roll 12 650R2's out of the warehouse and have some fun.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »

Come to Cleveland, we can roll 12 650R2's out of the warehouse and have some fun.

Sounds fun Scott thx, it would be great to meet.
I'll be sure to get in touch if i see myself heading that way

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.