ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broadcast Limiter/Compressor  (Read 2613 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Broadcast Limiter/Compressor
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »

I have a mono cafe/lobby speaker system being driven from the main output of a TF5 (board auxes are maxed out).

What is a good cheap ($0-200) suggestion for a compressor/limiter or broadcast maximizer (I think these are correct terms)?

I think the Rolls CL151 GLC will work well, just curious as to what other thoughts there might be. Perhaps a multiband device?

--------------------------------------

The board is supposedly already split (L/R XLR outs) into an RCA amplifier (I haven't yet verified how this is done).

I found the Rolls DB14 which should work perfectly to combine the L/R signal from the RCA amplifier into a balanced mono XLR output to the CL151 which would send the balanced limited signal to the speakers.

My only concerns are the passive nature of the DB14 might not have enough output level, but the CL151 has a mic in so it is expecting less signal which is great, and the freq response (50hz-16khz) though, for cafe/foyer probably not too big of a deal (8" speakers).
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

MikeHarris

Re: Broadcast Limiter/Compressor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:41:45 AM »

Look for a used Aphex 303... Mono compressor/exciter.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 10:33:49 AM »

Look for a used Aphex 303... Mono compressor/exciter.

Thanks I ended up using the 266XS. It worked out great and was cheap (less than $100) I just took and split the left side output, hopefully things aren't panned too much to a side ;)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Robert Healey

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

I have a mono cafe/lobby speaker system being driven from the main output of a TF5 (board auxes are maxed out).

What is a good cheap ($0-200) suggestion for a compressor/limiter or broadcast maximizer (I think these are correct terms)?

I think the Rolls CL151 GLC will work well, just curious as to what other thoughts there might be. Perhaps a multiband device?

--------------------------------------

The board is supposedly already split (L/R XLR outs) into an RCA amplifier (I haven't yet verified how this is done).

I found the Rolls DB14 which should work perfectly to combine the L/R signal from the RCA amplifier into a balanced mono XLR output to the CL151 which would send the balanced limited signal to the speakers.

My only concerns are the passive nature of the DB14 might not have enough output level, but the CL151 has a mic in so it is expecting less signal which is great, and the freq response (50hz-16khz) though, for cafe/foyer probably not too big of a deal (8" speakers).

I see you got a DBX - I was going to recommend a Shure DFR11eq which would get you EQ in addition to the limiter. Only issue would be finding a computer with an RS-232 port or a USB adapter that actually works.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.