ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Wash Lighting  (Read 3725 times)

Jasen Chung .

Suggestions for Wash Lighting
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »

Hey Y'all,

So I'm often finding myself shooting conferences these days and realize the hotels they are hosted at have either bad lighting or horrendous lighting :). Have any suggestions on fixtures that are dependable to light podium and panel speakers from about 20ft away? I have to accommodate the layout for seats around attendees so distance is a factor. I really want to be able to get a nice soft wash over my subjects faces. I've used the Elektralite LED's (worked better close up) or Arri fresnels but they don't really look great with harsh shadows due to the low intensity at that distance.

Thanks!

Jasen Chung .

Re: Suggestions for Wash Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »

An alternate question would be - How many lumens minimum should I be looking for to sufficiently light a subject on stage. Might be a trickier question than I'm giving, but I'm researching throw distances & illuminance measurements for fixtures, and figure that'd be a good starting point as I make decisions.

Thoughts?

Hey Y'all,

So I'm often finding myself shooting conferences these days and realize the hotels they are hosted at have either bad lighting or horrendous lighting :). Have any suggestions on fixtures that are dependable to light podium and panel speakers from about 20ft away? I have to accommodate the layout for seats around attendees so distance is a factor. I really want to be able to get a nice soft wash over my subjects faces. I've used the Elektralite LED's (worked better close up) or Arri fresnels but they don't really look great with harsh shadows due to the low intensity at that distance.

Thanks!

Ric Arnold

• Melbourne, Vic, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »

An alternate question would be - How many lumens minimum should I be looking for to sufficiently light a subject on stage. Might be a trickier question than I'm giving, but I'm researching throw distances & illuminance measurements for fixtures, and figure that'd be a good starting point as I make decisions.

Thoughts?

There's no easy figure to give as it's all relative to the ambient light levels already in place.
If you have a brightly lit room, then to draw the eye to a specific place ( your person at a lectern) you need to have them brighter than the surrounding objects. It may need a little or a lot of light...
If it's a dark room, less powerful lights will work, if a bright room then you need more power/brightness.
Cheers,
Ric
Live Theatre, Lighting, & Sound
Melbourne, Australia

Jasen Chung .

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:40:45 AM »

I'm prioritizing the camera, so the goal would be based on a dark room. The surrounding light is not as important as I'm not looking to draw the eye as opposed to correctly exposing the subject's face.

Anybody  with experience in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:02:15 AM »

I'm prioritizing the camera, so the goal would be based on a dark room. The surrounding light is not as important as I'm not looking to draw the eye as opposed to correctly exposing the subject's face.

Anybody  with experience in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intensity is one thing, source angle is the main issue. You need to get your lights above your presenter so the shadows fall on the floor. 45 degrees up from head level and 45 degrees to each side is a good starting point. Getting your fixtures in the right place isn't always easy, but that's the only solution - making it brighter won't fix it.

Pars or Fresnels are fine.

For brightness, if you're looking for a number, 50 foot candles is normally usable, but overcoming ambient light drives this. If the room is naturally bright or worse yet your subject is backlit by windows, you will need much more than this. Modern cameras do well in low light, so if the room is fairly dark, you might get by with less.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »

Getting good lighting positions in a conference room often is more a rigging problem than a lighting problem, IMO. A lot of conference have fairly low ceilings. In order to maintain good sight lines you may find that you will need 40' or more of truss, and lift stands. Not to discourage you, but that's sometimes the reality of the situation. If you have tripod lifts, you should get some pipe and drape to both mask the bottom 3' of the tripod AND to keep folks from tripping on the legs.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.