ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Mixer (X32) Workstation Case  (Read 3637 times)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
Digital Mixer (X32) Workstation Case
« on: September 14, 2016, 01:48:20 PM »

Does anyone make a more affordable version of the X32 Workstation Case at this link?

http://lmcasesonline.com/behringer-x32-workstation/

The application is a church livestream mixing system where the console has to live in a closet until Sunday.

Thank you,

Jeff

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Digital Mixer (X32) Workstation Case
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »

Can't say I'm aware of any cheaper options, but I will speak highly of LM's build quality. They just built several custom cases for us and did a great job.

Hard to swallow the cost up front, but certainly a buy-once-cry-once sort of deal.

If cost is a huge issue, perhaps the church has a member of the congregation that is handy with a saw. :)

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 03:02:22 PM »

Can't say I'm aware of any cheaper options, but I will speak highly of LM's build quality. They just built several custom cases for us and did a great job.

Hard to swallow the cost up front, but certainly a buy-once-cry-once sort of deal.

If cost is a huge issue, perhaps the church has a member of the congregation that is handy with a saw. :)

I don't doubt LM Cases quality, but that case costs more than the console going in it! I'm not afraid to make sawdust but was hoping that there would be something reasonable in the $1k ballpark.

Thank you,

Jeff

MikeHarris

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »

Gator has recently acquired Viking and could possible price you something more suitable and less expensive.
Do you need twin racks underneath ? Will you need a cover for the console or racks ?

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »

I don't doubt LM Cases quality, but that case costs more than the console going in it! I'm not afraid to make sawdust but was hoping that there would be something reasonable in the $1k ballpark.

Thank you,

Jeff
I had a custom case built by Grundorf for somewhere around half that price.  It is a huge case with three bays and slide out shelves on both right and left.  It houses a CL5 and an iMac bolted to the work surface.  Still working fine after almost 4 years of weekly load in and out at the high school we rent.
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 05:22:16 PM »

Do they need that much rack space underneath for their video and streaming equipment? If not, you might be able to go with a Midas M32R and a standard mixer rack with 14-18 spaces.

As for Andrew's recommendation, Grundorf might be an OK choice if the case won't get moved much. I've used a lot of Grundorf cases over the years, and while I think their carpeted cases are OK for their price point, Grundorf's ATA cases leave a lot to be desired. You get what you pay for (usually).

LM's pricing is roughly what I'd expect from any quality case manufacturer, give or take a little bit.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:54:46 PM »

Always remember, you get what you pay for!  That being said, for something that is just going to be used within a church setting and never see the road, a full blown road case may be overkill.  There's nothing too fancy about building a case on wheels.  A few sheets of plywood, some wheels, and a case of beer could be enough to build something suitable for a fraction of the price.  It won't be anywhere road worthy, but if that's not what you are using it for, it'll be fine.
Brian Jojade

Speed Daemon

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »

Always remember, you get what you pay for!  That being said, for something that is just going to be used within a church setting and never see the road, a full blown road case may be overkill.
Good point. While road cases look cool, if it's going to be wheeled into a closet, a simple A/V table on casters may suffice.

I got my start mixing church sound on a Soundcraft Series One, from the old Gary Gand Music (Gary's a contributor), and this model came with its own case, which was a mixed blessing--it looked ugly on Sunday, but when the youth group went on the road, it was ready.

It might be a good idea to start off with one of the padded tote bags that are available for the X32, and if the time comes to take it on the road, get a road case for the mixer alone. That big box that includes many rack spaces looks like a bear to handle.  If there is a need for 28 RU of rack space, I'd buy two separate 12 RU road cases in the interest of portability. When you're a church group, you're not going to have professional roadies and forklifts to help out, so be kind to the volunteers who will most likely be schlepping this stuff around. I say this as a FOH mixer who also had to help move a Hammond B3 and Leslie cabinet in addition to all my gear for a church band.

EDIT: I googled "x32 road case" and found several examples for the mixer alone for less than $600. I have a Gator G-Tour for my M32.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:13:48 PM by Bill Koonce »

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:31:18 PM »

Do they need that much rack space underneath for their video and streaming equipment? If not, you might be able to go with a Midas M32R and a standard mixer rack with 14-18 spaces.

Good point. If the gear itself has yet to be purchased, maybe it's worth looking at something with a smaller footprint. I ride an X32 Compact on a single amp rack for a monitor rig quite often. A full size X32 would even sit if I turn the rack sideways (the rack is 24 x 30).

And, it's definitely worth a call to LM. Perhaps this "off the shelf" case has some features you don't need. Their custom shop was very accommodating when we worked with them. They may have ways of trimming down this design.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »

I don't think the OP's concern was the size or weight of the case.  The simplicity of having a case with everything in it that can be wheeled into position with no connections is what he seems to be looking for.

If it's going on the road, I agree completely that breaking it into smaller pieces makes sense.  But if it's moving from a closet into position on a weekly basis, having everything in one handy package is the way to go.

Depending on the church setting, having something made out of nicely finished wood may look quite a bit better anyway.

At my old church, way back in the day, we build a mixer cabinet out of oak with a nice wooden roll top.  It fit beautifully in with the rest of the church fixtures, instead of standing out as some ugly road case. 
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.