ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a 3 or 4 channel controller with 7 channel fixture?  (Read 6322 times)

Josh Rawls

Re: Using a 3 or 4 channel controller with 7 channel fixture?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 07:36:34 pm »

My guess is the FX fixture did work is because the the Obey 3 was only sending data on DMX on channels 1-3. It needed to see 000 on channels 4-7.
Josh Rawls

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 03:52:15 pm »

Also, read the docs for your fixtures. Then you will know how they are going behave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Done! ;-)  As a DMX nOOb, it's starting to make sense.

I happened across an Obey 40 today at a decent price and i snagged it. Got it all hooked up and everything fires as it should.  Now just need to figure out the nuances of this controller, how to build scenes, etc.

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Now with 27% more mojo.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 04:40:56 pm »

Done! ;-)  As a DMX nOOb, it's starting to make sense.

I happened across an Obey 40 today at a decent price and i snagged it. Got it all hooked up and everything fires as it should.  Now just need to figure out the nuances of this controller, how to build scenes, etc.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Good News ... I came across this video on You Tube (whilst researching something else). There are very few decent videos or articles online to help folks but this guy has posted a few videos like this one and from what I see, they might be helpful to you.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 06:24:48 pm »

Good News ... I came across this video on You Tube (whilst researching something else). There are very few decent videos or articles online to help folks but this guy has posted a few videos like this one and from what I see, they might be helpful to you.

The Learn Lizard guy? If so, I just watched his DMX 101 guide and got busy this afternoon programming scenes for my little four fixture set.  Fairly intuitive once you wrap your head around it. I'm going to rack the Obey 10. Figures, I have a 2U SKB case I'm not using and this is a 3U unit! More room for cables, I guess!

Going to have two pucks upstage for upwash behind the drums (for now, until I get stands and can downwash). I'm mounting the Wash FX units to the top handles of my main speakers to wash upstage - from about 7-8 ft high, 45* to stage. Not ideal, but will work in the venues we play where floor space is a challenge.

I've got a "before" pic from one venue are playing this next weekend. I'll have an "after" pick now to compare....
Now with 27% more mojo.

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 06:28:59 pm »

What's the hardware setup for running lights off the iPad? Are your lights WiFi equipped or is there another layer of hardware there?

Probably best.
BTW... the only reason my Obey 10 is my back-up and not my 'go to' is because I run lights wirelessly these days from my iPad. It's not because I found the Obey10 to be inadequate -for basic functions, chases etc, it is a good little unit. I carry it around in a camera tripod zipper bag - it fits great.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010CEWDI/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can rack-mount it though, that would be best.
Now with 27% more mojo.

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 06:33:30 pm »

Thanks - that makes sense (now). ;-)

My guess is the FX fixture did work is because the the Obey 3 was only sending data on DMX on channels 1-3. It needed to see 000 on channels 4-7.
Now with 27% more mojo.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 06:42:11 pm »

What's the hardware setup for running lights off the iPad? Are your lights WiFi equipped or is there another layer of hardware there?

I use an Enttec interface to go between my router and the lights and I use Luminair software developed specifically for wifi light control on tablet. I use a router anyway for wireless sound so all I had to do was patch in. It is more expensive but necessary for me.

You can also use the transmitter and receiver adaptor design - never used it myself but some folks here have said they work quite well..

https://smile.amazon.com/Donner-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Lighting/dp/B00HWM6DCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474152049&sr=8-1&keywords=dmx+wifi
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 06:53:25 pm »

cool thanks!  I use a router for my board's remote control with iPad.  May think about down the road if our lighting needs change. Cheers!

I use an Enttec interface to go between my router and the lights and I use Luminair software developed specifically for wifi light control on tablet. I use a router anyway for wireless sound so all I had to do was patch in. It is more expensive but necessary for me.

You can also use the transmitter and receiver adaptor design - never used it myself but some folks here have said they work quite well..

https://smile.amazon.com/Donner-Wireless-Receiver-Transmitter-Lighting/dp/B00HWM6DCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474152049&sr=8-1&keywords=dmx+wifi
Now with 27% more mojo.

Fraser Moffatt

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:23 am »

Just for posterity's sake, here's a shot of the "stage" and the lighting rig...Chauvet Wash FX units mounted to EV mains using a Chauvet CLP-10 clamped to the speakers' top handles. 1" shim configuration works great.  El cheapo PAR cans uplighting behind and to the left and right of the drums. Had a few different scenes programmed on the Obey 10. Made it a snap to choose an appropriate light level and colour combination.

Not bad for an amateur, I like to think!

Many pardons for the composition of this image! Drunk fan cam....;-)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:01:28 pm by Fraser Moffatt »
Now with 27% more mojo.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 11:59:23 am »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.