ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Airport Express or Extreme?  (Read 8538 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Airport Express or Extreme?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »

Aside from a better antenna what makes an AP a better choice than a consumer wifi router?  I rarely if ever have range issues using Apple units, far more often losing sync within a few feet of the wireless router in high RF density environments like hotels and special event sites.

I tend to agree with Milt having both these units.
As for not needing and router, it may come in handy if you ever need to network a rack of RF mic receivers.
That said, a commercial quality WAP should have better RF stability than a "wireless router" for home use.
If you mix on a tablet regularly, the extra expense could make your life easier. :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2016, 05:22:40 AM »

Aside from a better antenna what makes an AP a better choice than a consumer wifi router?  I rarely if ever have range issues using Apple units, far more often losing sync within a few feet of the wireless router in high RF density environments like hotels and special event sites.

Several things to me:

1 - Better radio's - Better filters on the front end, connectorized antenna ports, multiple radios in one box (no need to time share 1 radio)

2 - PoE - Stick the AP on a pole with a single wire feeding it

3 - Real user interface, Cisco has a CLI.  You can modify deep setting within both the radio and network interfaces.  The wireless and wired sides are actual interfaces and can be configured without the VooDoo of consumer devices.  The interface is bridged and you have visibility into the forwarding and spanning tree activity

4 - A continuation of three....Reports on MAC tables, radio statistics etc.

5 - Build quality...Built to take a beating

6 - Runs a real OS, Cisco takes the cake here (real Cisco not pretend Cisco small business). AP's run IOS. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »

Several things to me:

1 - Better radio's - Better filters on the front end, connectorized antenna ports, multiple radios in one box (no need to time share 1 radio)

2 - PoE - Stick the AP on a pole with a single wire feeding it

3 - Real user interface, Cisco has a CLI.  You can modify deep setting within both the radio and network interfaces.  The wireless and wired sides are actual interfaces and can be configured without the VooDoo of consumer devices.  The interface is bridged and you have visibility into the forwarding and spanning tree activity

4 - A continuation of three....Reports on MAC tables, radio statistics etc.

5 - Build quality...Built to take a beating

6 - Runs a real OS, Cisco takes the cake here (real Cisco not pretend Cisco small business). AP's run IOS.

How do 3, 4, and 6 apply to our application?

And regarding 1 and 5, let me just put this here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/AirPort+Extreme+A1521+Teardown/15044

The Airport Extreme runs NetBSD, not iOS.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.