ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC TouchMix - 6-Pin Power Connector: TOO LOOSE!  (Read 10493 times)

Shane Ervin

QSC TouchMix - 6-Pin Power Connector: TOO LOOSE!
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »

Has anyone had trouble with the PSU connector mating properly at the QSC TouchMix 6-pin power input socket?

During setup at a gig Friday night, the mixer kept shutting down.

It came to light quickly that the connector was the problem.  We survived by applying board tape underneath mixer in a horseshoe style: up, then around the plug and back down underneath, to exert a downward force on the plug.

In retrospect, upon unpacking the unit from the original shipping box, I did indeed notice that there was very little insertion force required when plugging in the 6-pin connector... and next to zero force required to unplug it.  However, I trusted that the design was sufficient to ensure positive connectivity, and it did work without problems for a few rehearsals and on one (1) prior gig.

On Monday, I'll contact my dealer and/or QSC tech support, but it's a surprisingly disappointing design - especially considering how QSC uses positive retention on their IEC connections to amps and powered speakers.

Stay tuned: I like the product in all other respects, but obviously, I can't use it anymore at shows, and that can't stand unresolved.  I expect there will be a re-design, or some temporary fix if the same problem is experienced by other owner/users.

Anyone else have the TouchMix and see this?

Cheers

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: QSC TouchMix - 6-Pin Power Connector: TOO LOOSE!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »

Has anyone had trouble with the PSU connector mating properly at the QSC TouchMix 6-pin power input socket?

During setup at a gig Friday night, the mixer kept shutting down.

It came to light quickly that the connector was the problem.  We survived by applying board tape underneath mixer in a horseshoe style: up, then around the plug and back down underneath, to exert a downward force on the plug.

In retrospect, upon unpacking the unit from the original shipping box, I did indeed notice that there was very little insertion force required when plugging in the 6-pin connector... and next to zero force required to unplug it.  However, I trusted that the design was sufficient to ensure positive connectivity, and it did work without problems for a few rehearsals and on one (1) prior gig.

On Monday, I'll contact my dealer and/or QSC tech support, but it's a surprisingly disappointing design - especially considering how QSC uses positive retention on their IEC connections to amps and powered speakers.

Stay tuned: I like the product in all other respects, but obviously, I can't use it anymore at shows, and that can't stand unresolved.  I expect there will be a re-design, or some temporary fix if the same problem is experienced by other owner/users.

Anyone else have the TouchMix and see this?

Cheers

I talked with QSC about our mixer having some intermittent ups and downs.  They told me they had some initial tolerance problems in the connector manufacture that was leading to the problems you're seeing.  They swapped my mixer out (also lost phantom on channel 13) under warranty.  In the interim, something like a Caig contact cleaner nearly eliminates the problem.  I also put a locking IEC connector on the power brick - ours kept working loose there too.
Since we were using outs six nights/week, they overnighted a replacement which allegedly has the new connector.  So far, no problems with the replacement.

Shane Ervin

Re: QSC TouchMix - 6-Pin Power Connector: TOO LOOSE!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »

I talked with QSC about our mixer having some intermittent ups and downs.  They told me they had some initial tolerance problems in the connector manufacture that was leading to the problems you're seeing.  <snip>

Today I received the replacement power supply brick, and it fits nice and tightly.  I powered up the mixer and jiggled the connector: no problems.

Thanks go to QSC Warranty service and to S.F. Marketing in Dorval, QC!

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber