ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: 2x Danley SM80 replacing 6x KLA12?  (Read 56676 times)

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
Re: 2x Danley SM80 replacing 6x KLA12?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2016, 09:24:21 PM »

I have to disagree here. Over the past three years I have used the SM80/TH118 combo for hard rock acts on the size of events or larger  described in the OP's original post. Never any issue with distortion or lack of headroom. I get hired back year after year. People are always commenting on clarity and power without being too loud. It works for me so I know it can work for others in the same position.
Good to know, Jonathan; how many TH118 cabs do you use with your pair of SM80s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 07:04:12 AM »

Good to know, Jonathan; how many TH118 cabs do you use with your pair of SM80s?

Either one or two TH 118 per SM 80 depending on the size and or type of event.

Roch Lafleur

• Ottawa, ONTARIO
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »

Either one or two TH 118 per SM 80 depending on the size and or type of event.

Same here.... either one or two TH118 per SM80, depending on the size or type of event. Outside, usually 2 TH118 per side, or 4 grouped in the middle. The system replaced 4 EV QRX218S and 4 QRX212/75. I have also done a couple of smaller events where I used one TH118 and one SM80 to cover the entire area.  I've never looked back. One TH118 easily replaces TWO QRX218S.

Almost nobody around here (Ottawa, Canada) knows what DSL is, but after hearing it, they go straight to the website or Google it. I was advancing the show for a signed artist with their BE - he said "so it's basically a speakers on sticks system?" I responded "Technically, yes, but don't judge with your eyes." When he got to the show (smaller event for about 300 outside), he cranked the iPod, looked at me and said "Yup, that'll do!".
DSL SM80 (2), DSL TH118 (4), db Technologies DVX DM-12, JBL PRX615M, Behringer X32, X32-C, Crown MAi, QSC PLX

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »

Same here.... either one or two TH118 per SM80, depending on the size or type of event. Outside, usually 2 TH118 per side, or 4 grouped in the middle. The system replaced 4 EV QRX218S and 4 QRX212/75. I have also done a couple of smaller events where I used one TH118 and one SM80 to cover the entire area.  I've never looked back. One TH118 easily replaces TWO QRX218S.

Almost nobody around here (Ottawa, Canada) knows what DSL is, but after hearing it, they go straight to the website or Google it. I was advancing the show for a signed artist with their BE - he said "so it's basically a speakers on sticks system?" I responded "Technically, yes, but don't judge with your eyes." When he got to the show (smaller event for about 300 outside), he cranked the iPod, looked at me and said "Yup, that'll do!".
I heard a system, outdoors, with 1 SM80 and 3 TH118s pers side and  Yup...it did the trick!
Trying to get people in Canada on board with DSL is hard and not because the gear isn't good.
Just hard to get people away from the "usual" gear.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 12:47:04 PM »

I have a friend who used to live in LA, then moved to Nashville.

He described the "scenes" as :  In LA people say "What's new?".

In Nashville they say "Who else is using it?"

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »

I heard a system, outdoors, with 1 SM80 and 3 TH118s pers side and  Yup...it did the trick!
Trying to get people in Canada on board with DSL is hard and not because the gear isn't good.

That's the problem with any "new" brand, especially when a brand focuses on the installation market.  There are great products for that use but most of we "live sound" guys & gals know nothing about those products because they aren't marketed to us due to the low sales volume in the rental & production biz.

Danley isn't the only self-victim here.  How many times has someone posted here, looking for some handy-but-obscure widget, only to find out that multiple solutions exist from Brands We've NOT Heard Of®?  Those brands sell big numbers but not to the portable sound market...

< hypothetical > So what if a J1 sells for $50k?  I don't know what they cost, but if ONE replaces a full hang of JBL VTX, EAW Anya, Clair i5, l'Acoustic K1... the savings are tremendous.  The problem is that BEs have never heard of it, let alone put ears to one or mixed on it.  Until you get the BEs that Matter to spec a J1-based rig, no other BEs will accept it.  Egg, meet chicken...  </ hypothetical >
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2016, 03:55:47 PM »

The problem is that BEs have never heard of it, let alone put ears to one or mixed on it.  Until you get the BEs that Matter to spec a J1-based rig, no other BEs will accept it.  Egg, meet chicken...  </ hypothetical >
Everything we use was "new and unheard of" at some point.
I see it as more of an unwillingness to try something new or make an effort to research and hear the product before jumping to a conclusion.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »

< hypothetical > So what if a J1 sells for $50k?  I don't know what they cost, but if ONE replaces a full hang of JBL VTX, EAW Anya, Clair i5, l'Acoustic K1... the savings are tremendous.  The problem is that BEs have never heard of it, let alone put ears to one or mixed on it.  Until you get the BEs that Matter to spec a J1-based rig, no other BEs will accept it.  Egg, meet chicken...  </ hypothetical >
Well, it does cost less then 50k a speaker,amp,Cable, hardware. if you want just to hear sound and not see sound it is the way to go.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Scott Slater

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 07:51:06 AM »

A few weekends ago I did an outdoor festival with 2 SM80s over 4 TH118s.  The headlining band was very "concerned" when they "saw" the system, and expressed their concern to the event coordinator.  He told them not to worry about it, but I could tell they were uneasy.

Halfway into the first song from the opening act, a couple of them came over and asked me how many drivers are in each of those cabinets?  We can see 1 each but....

By the end, their sound tech wanted to where he could get more info on them.  I directed him to the DSL website.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »

Good stuff! Posts like this are what caught my attention and made me want to know more about Danley a couple of years ago!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.