ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: 2x Danley SM80 replacing 6x KLA12?  (Read 56049 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: 2x Danley SM80 replacing 6x KLA12?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 07:27:16 PM »

Yes, I'm hoping we will move toward that a couple of years down the road, but I believe (I am hoping) the SM80 can at least replace our current rig in the meantime,We probably do about 4-6 events a year that would warrant 4x SH46, so I'll wait until the frequency of those gigs increases before making a move on anything like that, but the goal is to go ahead and build up some of the sub inventory we would need for both systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could definitely replace your current rig with 2x SM80 and 2x TH118, then continue to add TH118 as budget allows. You'll eventually want 2-3 TH118's per SM80.

You might also consider just adding 1x SH46 per side and use the SM80's as fills at first. It would be a less expensive way to get the output you need. Unless you have a very wide audience plane, the 60° pattern should be plenty by the time you reach the back of the audience, and the SM80's would fill the closer areas. Then once you've saved some more money you can get the second pair. It's not ideal, but it's one way to gradually build the 4x SH46 system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Powell

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 08:05:50 PM »

The SH46 is only 40 degrees wide when used in the normal upright position. There have been some people who have rigged a way to turn them sideways to get 60-wide, but it's an uncommon deployment.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 08:18:19 PM »

SH46's are also a bit "thin" sounding in singles.  Unless you make a custom bracket, plan on 2-3 per side.  This, plus amps, makes it a big price jump over SM80's.  It's a LOT louder, and you can cover a pretty large area. 

Also consider the SH96HO, or if flown the SH96HO with an SH95HO under-hung. 

And lots of TH118's.  Then even more TH118's. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 08:40:20 PM »

SH46's are also a bit "thin" sounding in singles.  Unless you make a custom bracket, plan on 2-3 per side.  This, plus amps, makes it a big price jump over SM80's.  It's a LOT louder, and you can cover a pretty large area. 

Also consider the SH96HO, or if flown the SH96HO with an SH95HO under-hung. 

And lots of TH118's.  Then even more TH118's.
Unlike other products, the "voicing" of the Sh46s was for intended usage in pairs.

This allows for an overall higher sensitivity.

On products like the SH50, the "voicing" was to be flat when used as singles.

As usual-it depends-on what the intended usage is, and that can be "argued" on different sides.

A "general" good balance is either 3 or 4 TH118s per SH96HO (for "full tilt" operation)-depending on how much bass is needed for a particular music style.

Of course you can use 1 or 2, and then the SH96HO would be loafing along.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2016, 02:22:20 AM »

SH46's are also a bit "thin" sounding in singles.  Unless you make a custom bracket, plan on 2-3 per side.

I must say I've never felt this way. I've been running single SH46s at many gigs and double SH46s at many others, and even when in singles I've found them to have more 100-200 Hz than I need, if anything, and have attenuated it slightly...
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 09:11:07 AM »

I must say I've never felt this way. I've been running single SH46s at many gigs and double SH46s at many others, and even when in singles I've found them to have more 100-200 Hz than I need, if anything, and have attenuated it slightly...
Are you running the biamped or passive?

The 1st generation of 46s were passive only.

Several years ago we added a biamp/passive switch on the rear panel, so it is easier to "balance" out the lows/high (among other reasons)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »

I just did a gig on Friday where I went with a single TD-1(precursor to the SH46) stacked on a JTR Orbit Shifter sub in the long narrowish room at one of my regular venues.  The room is 24'x75 with 12' ceiling.  I'd always worried that it would not be enough horizontal coverage, and the "thin" voicing of a single unit would be problematic, BUT like you, I found no issue.  The voicing to thin the sound actually coincides a lot with mic proximity effect buildup, so it sort of cancels out.

Coverage turned out to be very good.  Toed the TD-1s in so the outer flare of the horn was parallel or slightly angled in towards the middle of the room, and the sweet spot held up to just around 10' in front of the stacks in the center.  Better rejection to the sides too, so the stage was a bit quieter as well-bonus of the Synergy full range horn.

I do want to elevate the TD-1s more, and may just build some dummy "riser" cabinets to put between the sub and tops.  Another 12-16" high would be just fine in this room.

Best regards,

John
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 12:48:16 PM by John Halliburton »

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »

Are you running the biamped or passive?

The 1st generation of 46s were passive only.

Several years ago we added a biamp/passive switch on the rear panel, so it is easier to "balance" out the lows/high (among other reasons)

Yes - I've only been using them with just the passive crossovers at all times, but I've had both the 1st version and the one with the biamp option.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »

Yes - I've only been using them with just the passive crossovers at all times, but I've had both the 1st version and the one with the biamp option.
So it is back to the old -IT DEPENDS-statement.

What is correct for somebody is not correct for somebody else.

That is why there are so many different products.  Different people need different tools for different jobs.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »

I'd consider something a bit stronger. The SM80, while an improvement, is not enough of a step up to justify the move in my opinion.  I'd wait and get the 4 SH46s or try the SH96HO. I have no idea what pricing looks like on those though.

I have to disagree here. Over the past three years I have used the SM80/TH118 combo for hard rock acts on the size of events or larger  described in the OP's original post. Never any issue with distortion or lack of headroom. I get hired back year after year. People are always commenting on clarity and power without being too loud. It works for me so I know it can work for others in the same position.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 06:39:27 PM by Jonathan Betts »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.