ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation TRIO 2496 DMX console  (Read 7057 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Elation TRIO 2496 DMX console
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 01:56:20 AM »

Glad to hear you were able to find a solution Peter!

Thanks for the input Scott and Duane.  I'm really not trying to question your recommendation, so please don't take it that way.  I just know you recommend (and personally use) this board quite often, and from my rather limited experience with it haven't been too impressed, so I was wondering if there was something that I've been missing the whole time!  So is it really possible to use these with a monitor?  That's one of my biggest dislikes (of any board that you intend to do complex programming with) - no monitor makes it rather difficult to see and edit what you're doing in my opinion.  Sure, I've made do without, but I would think in this day and age you should be able to have a better interface when you're talking nearly or above a $1000+ unit.  If nothing else, an app to use with your tablet similar to how many digital rack mixers work.   

I get what you mean about this being more of a program and playback board.  Most of my work is primarily theatrical lighting design along with the occasional musical act, so maybe my needs for on-the-fly editing and rapid programming differ from those (like Peter) who just need something that can play back some tasteful programs to keep the stage alive.  With the cost of PC solutions so affordable, I view them more as a bridge between the DMX Operator level and the full-size console level.  At least with the software you have the all-important (to me) view into your cue stacks and effects to take the tediousness out of trying to edit things! 

I don't think the programming time you mention is unreasonable, especially if you're programming essentially once and done.  I work with new groups/venues constantly, so my needs require something that's a lot quicker though, and that might be why I'm slightly biased against non-computer consoles, especially when controlling more than a few basic Pars.  I've just never found myself to be productive enough on one to meet my deadlines without having to compromise.   

Oh yes, if you need to make frequent changes it's not the device for you. 

You get into a workflow and it is not all that hard.  It would be tough to change in the field.

What works for me is that it is an all in one solution with lots of buttons.  It fits in a nice padded case, no PC connection for a tech to get wrong,  no latency when you push the button.  The buttons are big and have long travel and excellent tactile feedback.  I can show any sound tech how to use it in 10 minutes.

It's a tool in the bag, that's it.  It sounds like the wrong tool for you with all the changes and that's ok too. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Peter Herpertz

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 01:25:21 AM »

Glad to hear you were able to find a solution Peter!

Thanks for the input Scott and Duane.  I'm really not trying to question your recommendation, so please don't take it that way.  I just know you recommend (and personally use) this board quite often, and from my rather limited experience with it haven't been too impressed, so I was wondering if there was something that I've been missing the whole time!  So is it really possible to use these with a monitor?  That's one of my biggest dislikes (of any board that you intend to do complex programming with) - no monitor makes it rather difficult to see and edit what you're doing in my opinion.  Sure, I've made do without, but I would think in this day and age you should be able to have a better interface when you're talking nearly or above a $1000+ unit.  If nothing else, an app to use with your tablet similar to how many digital rack mixers work.   

I get what you mean about this being more of a program and playback board.  Most of my work is primarily theatrical lighting design along with the occasional musical act, so maybe my needs for on-the-fly editing and rapid programming differ from those (like Peter) who just need something that can play back some tasteful programs to keep the stage alive.  With the cost of PC solutions so affordable, I view them more as a bridge between the DMX Operator level and the full-size console level.  At least with the software you have the all-important (to me) view into your cue stacks and effects to take the tediousness out of trying to edit things! 

I don't think the programming time you mention is unreasonable, especially if you're programming essentially once and done.  I work with new groups/venues constantly, so my needs require something that's a lot quicker though, and that might be why I'm slightly biased against non-computer consoles, especially when controlling more than a few basic Pars.  I've just never found myself to be productive enough on one to meet my deadlines without having to compromise.   

So juxsst one more question; which wWndows version is the best to use while workin g with the M-Touch and M-PC software, is it Windows 7, 8 or 10? (btw, I don't have a touch screen.....)
no lights no glory

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »

So juxsst one more question; which wWndows version is the best to use while workin g with the M-Touch and M-PC software, is it Windows 7, 8 or 10? (btw, I don't have a touch screen.....)
Peter, we have run the M-PC software on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 with no issues. We haven't used it with Windows 8 because I never liked the Windows 8 OS.  We are currently using Windows 10 with no issues.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »

That's a lot of good input.  I know that's why they make so many different options - for so many different applications, needs, and operator skill levels. 

The SD series is an unusual concept that is a great fit for dance clubs and smaller live band shows.
And that might be why I've always come away unimpressed by these boards.  With most of my work being theatrical, corporate, and large concerts, my needs are almost a polar opposite of those doing work in the smaller clubs and venues, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.  Different tools for different jobs!  In my case, it's almost a regular occurrence for an event coordinator or director to say "I need the lights to do this, this, and then this" to me just moments before go-time!  About 2 years ago I adopted the ETC Cobalt platform for such jobs because of how well I can busk a gig on it and program sophisticated effects in mere seconds.  Then again, such a console would be massive overkill for use at the local bar or club!   

Oh yes, if you need to make frequent changes it's not the device for you. 

It would be tough to change in the field.

I can show any sound tech how to use it in 10 minutes.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this assortment of quotes.  Given the commonality of intelligent lighting these days, I've always viewed a software platform as the intermediate solution to get big-board features without the big-board price tag.  That said, most of these software packages do have a learning curve to them - some steeper than others.  If you're in a situation where a sound tech or band member needs to run lights with little time to learn, I can see where a board such as the SD could really be a good fit so long as it's preprogrammed with suitable effects that don't need much improv.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2016, 06:24:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.