ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Camlock Colors  (Read 17366 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Camlock Colors
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »

I have encountered many dirty Camlocks with red and green colors that I absolutely can not tell apart.  The newer stuff, particularly when it's new, no problem.
In the interest of correctly hooking up red and green camlocks, here's a basic red-green colorblind test. What numbers do you all see?

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 08:36:38 AM »

I don't typically allowanyonebesides myself to do any tie ins. Color to color is no issue and everything I deal with is all US standard and of course meter meter meter. However I recently built 2 patch panels to connect racks together the panels are labeled an color coded. However, the cables were just colored (blue, green, purple, orange). I didn't think anything about it. I showed the client and he asked me to label the cables also since they where out of his range of color spectrum (gray, different gray, another gray....). It wouldn't be a bad thing if CAMs had labels G, N, L1(orX), L2 (Y), L3 (Z). Then if you did end out with a European piece of gear you would know to double check everything.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »

Well I counted 146 dots of greenish-yellow, is that the right number? Do I just count those, or do I have to count the red dots as well?!?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »

Well I counted 146 dots of greenish-yellow, is that the right number? Do I just count those, or do I have to count the red dots as well?!?

-Ray

LMAO I'm not completly sure if that was sarcastic or not?  Obviously it reads the number 27 made by the green dots?

K

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:34 AM »

LMAO I'm not completly sure if that was sarcastic or not?  Obviously it reads the number 27 made by the green dots?

K
That might be obvious to YOU.... lolz.

Yeah, I was joking. I DID count the green & yellow dots, though, and if I wasn't trying to get out the door cos I have to be in Seattle by noon, I would count the red ones as well. :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »

In the interest of correctly hooking up red and green camlocks, here's a basic red-green colorblind test. What numbers do you  all see?

If I can see it, it's too basic and I can read this one.  I could never see anything past the first page on a standard test. 
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2016, 11:39:26 AM »

K

Uhmmmmm..... I was going to count the dots at first, but then I gave up and read 27.  ;)

They should make the readable number the actual dot count if they want to be really geeky.  :o

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »

Also in california the high leg(orange) on a 120/240 3 phase service is connected to C phase at the service and B phase in the breaker panels.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

At the DNCC in Philly a few weeks ago there was a very colorful mishmash of Camlocks.  Red, blue, yellow, brown, black, green, as well as various tape stripes.  I can only assume that stock was taken from a wide variety of sources since there was feeder freakin everywhere. I saw lots of connections with mismatched colors, but everything functioned perfectly best as I saw. So someone did their due diligence...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Sokol

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »

At the DNCC in Philly a few weeks ago there was a very colorful mishmash of Camlocks.  Red, blue, yellow, brown, black, green, as well as various tape stripes.  I can only assume that stock was taken from a wide variety of sources since there was feeder freakin everywhere. I saw lots of connections with mismatched colors, but everything functioned perfectly best as I saw. So someone did their due diligence...

I've done a bunch of gigs for MHA Audio with a lot of UK gear interconnected with US gear. So we had all colors of camlocks feeding big (50KW?) transformers that stepped 120 volts on the US side up to 240 volts on the UK side with Cee-Form outlets. So half of our gear was 120 volts, and the other half was 240 volts. You had to remember which voltage was where or there would be a lot of trouble (smoke). We kept it pretty logical. So if there was a Cee-Form or UK plugboard it was 240 volts. If it was a camlock or Edison outlet it was 120 volts. There were a few times when we broke these rules, but everything was always clearly marked by the shop guys who did a great job prepping and documenting how everything hooked up. And yes, I always metered everything before plugging in a powering up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:57:20 PM by Mike Sokol »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.