ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: what Digital Mixers to recommend  (Read 21057 times)

Markus Bangerter

what Digital Mixers to recommend
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »

hi all

I'm in process of replacing my two Midas analogue mixing consoles with a Digital Console.

today, i'm running already some Dante-enablend equipment (Lab.Gruppen PLMs, Lake Controller LM26s, Focusrite RedNets units, Dante Virtual Soundcard, ...)
therefore most of my racks are equipped with networking gear (Cisco Switches). Usually I'm running two independent fiber-optical based networks between Stage and FOH; Dante Dual redundancy

i had already a look at this consoles:
- Midas PRO 1
- Midas M32
- Yamaha CL / QL
- Digico S21
- Soundcraft Si Impact

regarding Dante, Yamaha CL/QL provides the best integration.
Midas uses AES50 connecting to I/O interfaces, so i would not be able to benefit from the existing network infrastructure.

what Console would you recommend ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:40:32 AM by Markus Bangerter »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: what Digial Mixers to recommend
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »

It would probably be helpful to know what you're replacing and what you actually need the consoles to do.  From your post it reads like you just need them to do Dante.  I doubt that's really the case.

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:32 AM »

hi all

I'm in process of replacing my two Midas analogue mixing consoles with a Digital Console.

today, i'm running already some Dante-enablend equipment (Lab.Gruppen PLMs, Lake Controller LM26s, Focusrite RedNets units, Dante Virtual Soundcard, ...)
therefore most of my racks are equipped with networking gear (Cisco Switches). Usually I'm running two independent fiber-optical based networks between Stage and FOH; Dante Dual redundancy

i had already a look at this consoles:
- Midas PRO 1
- Midas M32
- Yamaha CL / QL
- Digico S21
- Soundcraft Si Impact

regarding Dante, Yamaha CL/QL provides the best integration.
Midas uses AES50 connecting to I/O interfaces, so i would not be able to benefit from the existing network infrastructure.

what Console would you recommend ?
This topic has been discussed on many threads here. the answer is as usual "it depends". depends how many channels I/O you need. do you like to have a tablet to control wireless? 
they are all good consoles. all have benefits over the other.
the Si impact will be the most affordable.

I would vote for the Digico S21 (or the new S31) this is my preference. but all are good.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Markus Bangerter

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 10:34:42 AM »

This topic has been discussed on many threads here. the answer is as usual "it depends". depends how many channels I/O you need. do you like to have a tablet to control wireless? 
they are all good consoles. all have benefits over the other.
the Si impact will be the most affordable.

I would vote for the Digico S21 (or the new S31) this is my preference. but all are good.

thanks for feedback so far. Yes i know "it depends"

i would like to replace a Midas Verona 320

when focusing on using my existing (Ethernet-based) network; then i have to go the full Dante route which means Yamaha CL/QL series (Stageboxes running on Dante)
All other vendors do have either MADI or AES50 which is not compatible with Ethernet as transport protocol.

When focusing on running Dante just for I/O on consoles, then nearly every Console listed above can be used.

so my primary question is; Would you recommend Dante for interconnecting Stageboxes and Mixers ?
The advantage of using Midas PRO 1 would be 96kHz sampling-rate, while all others use "only" 48kHz

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:39:34 AM »

The advantage of using Midas PRO 1 would be 96kHz sampling-rate, while all others use "only" 48kHz
... can you hear the difference between 96kHz and 48kHz??

So the other "usual" question that comes up with a gear purchase opinion-- how much are you budgeting for this? M32 will run you $5k; a CL5 will be north of $20K.

And then, how many physical faders do you need on the control surface? CL1 will give you 8+8 and a CL5 will give you 24+8 -- both are good boards, but do you need to see a larger number of faders at any one time?

Also, are you just buying this for yourself as an awesome new toy, or are there other people's concerns (as in, a venue, or dealing with touring artist riders and visiting band engineers) that you have to take into consideration?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

RaySoly

• Retired IATSE 56 MONTREAL
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »

thanks for feedback so far. Yes i know "it depends"

i would like to replace a Midas Verona 320

when focusing on using my existing (Ethernet-based) network; then i have to go the full Dante route which means Yamaha CL/QL series (Stageboxes running on Dante)
All other vendors do have either MADI or AES50 which is not compatible with Ethernet as transport protocol.

When focusing on running Dante just for I/O on consoles, then nearly every Console listed above can be used.

so my primary question is; Would you recommend Dante for interconnecting Stageboxes and Mixers ?

A&H Dlive http://www.allen-heath.com/dlive-intro/, runs at 96khz and offers dante on the console and mixracks….

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »

The Digico S21 runs at 96Khz
All of the consoles have options for Dante cards.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »

In the original post your said you want to replace two mixers.  If that's the case do you want two new mixers that can gain share with one stage rack?

Markus Bangerter

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »

In the original post your said you want to replace two mixers.  If that's the case do you want two new mixers that can gain share with one stage rack?

That could be a use case, but rather rare.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »

IMHO the hardest desk to set up and operate is the Midas Pro series, followed by DigiCo SD; I haven't used an S21 so can't offer any insight.  Once you're up and going they aren't particularly difficult but the challenge is getting to that point.

If you're spending someone else's money (arts centre, public auditorium, university) I suggest Yamaha CL5/Rio.

If you're spending your own funds I suggest either the M32 or S21.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 02:47:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.