ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 AWG Tail Adapters  (Read 6961 times)

Rick Earl

Re: 2 AWG Tail Adapters
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:38:27 AM »

I have a new set of 2 AWG tails coming in for my 3P distro, and I want to be able to also use them on a 25 kW genny we rent for some gigs. However, the terminals on the genny are too small for 2 gauge tails, and I don't want to peel back any of the copper to make it fit. I seem to remember an adapter that allows larger diameter wire to fit in a smaller block on a circuit breaker. Can anyone give me a hint as to where to find this gadget?

I've seen things like this used in 12V systems for cars:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/installation-accessories/set-screw-terminals/sp/set-screw-gauge-reducer-40-to-10-gauge/

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »

I've seen things like this used in 12V systems for cars:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/installation-accessories/set-screw-terminals/sp/set-screw-gauge-reducer-40-to-10-gauge/

That has some promise. I've seen others very similar to this with a perfectly round pin, but the flattened pin has merit since it will have better contact area with the lock-down bolt. I'll see if I can get some for a try.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:36:00 PM »

Or going back to my original pic, maybe this car installer gadget would work after all. I think the term connectors on a genny are only rated for stranded wire, but maybe I'm wrong and they'll work with solid pins as well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 02:58:02 PM »

Or going back to my original pic, maybe this car installer gadget would work after all. I think the term connectors on a genny are only rated for stranded wire, but maybe I'm wrong and they'll work with solid pins as well.

Stranded only.  Also I'm not sure a solid metal reducer is Code-compliant for use in panels or switchboards; whether that applies to generator lugs I can't say.

I think the easiest solution, provided it actually gets done, is to have the generator shop change lugs as part of their prep.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »

Stranded only.  Also I'm not sure a solid metal reducer is Code-compliant for use in panels or switchboards; whether that applies to generator lugs I can't say.
I think the easiest solution, provided it actually gets done, is to have the generator shop change lugs as part of their prep.

LOL that's never going to happen. So how about my latest suggestion of the KPA25? It's rated  and sized for the stranded wire coming in from the tails. And I can bolt it right on top of the existing generator lugs with existing hardware.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2016, 03:17:59 PM »

LOL that's never going to happen. So how about my latest suggestion of the KPA25? It's rated  and sized for the stranded wire coming in from the tails. And I can bolt it right on top of the existing generator lugs with existing hardware.

A rated/Listed lug, installed according to manufacturer's instructions is probably a very good bet at being compliant.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Robinson

• Kansas City, MO
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »

I have this same situation. I had an electrician tell me to get the same device you are looking for but I've never been able to locate it either so I'll be interested in seeing if someone can come up with it. I envisioned it looking just like Mike's picture. Maybe he called it "pin and barrel" connector?

At last, a question in my ballpark!

Bi-Metallic Pin Connector:
http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Panduit-BPC2-L-BiMetallic-Pin-Connector-Aluminum-2/521973

Several manufacturers offer this, some even offer right angle type (also offset pin connectors).
Normally used to reduce Aluminum to a stranded copper pigtail so there is no reduction of ampacity.
It is a crimp system (reduces #2 to #4, not #6)
Several manufacturers have paid UL to test for "range taking" ratings: T&B 1/0 crimp style with correct tooling can crimp down to #6 with correct pressure raised ID (8 ton compression)!

Another lug similar to the Burndy KA25 (35401 maxes out at #2, but tang too small to drill out to 3/8").
http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/Thomas-Betts-35501-Locktite-Offset-Tongue-One-Hole/69992

A ferrule sleeve will help prevent fraying in mechanical lugs (T&B # F9034 is for #2 code wire, when using fine stranded wire usually go up 1 size, F9037 is for 1/0).
http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=F9034

HTH,

Jeff Robinson
Excerpt from Shelley's 'Ode to a Skylark':
Pourest thy full heart
In profuse strains of unpremeditated art
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then, as I am listening now!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 05:02:55 PM »

I have a new set of 2 AWG tails coming in for my 3P distro, and I want to be able to also use them on a 25 kW genny we rent for some gigs. However, the terminals on the genny are too small for 2 gauge tails, and I don't want to peel back any of the copper to make it fit. I seem to remember an adapter that allows larger diameter wire to fit in a smaller block on a circuit breaker. Can anyone give me a hint as to where to find this gadget?

I have used a standard copper/brass split-bolt you can get at Lowe's Depot or just about any hardware store.
You use them to attach foot-long pieces of standard contractor-grade #2 copper to the ends of you feeder without having to strip or trim anything off of them.
I e-tape the whole thing good and then wrap with friction tape or that cold-seal rubber tape to give it abrasive durability as some times you go many shows without having to undo it.
(usually the whole assembly should end up inside the cabinet or panel with the breaker or lugs so it wouldn't be accessible for casual contact)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 05:02:55 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.