ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antenna distro - Shure or RFVenue?  (Read 5398 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Antenna distro - Shure or RFVenue?
« on: January 02, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »

I have a couple QLX-D systems and am going to add at least 1 more channel this year, so it's time for a distro.  The Shure UA844+SWB and RF Venue Distro 4 seem to be at feature parity and pretty much the same price.  Is there a reason to choose one over another?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Antenna distro - Shure or RFVenue?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »

I have a couple QLX-D systems and am going to add at least 1 more channel this year, so it's time for a distro.  The Shure UA844+SWB and RF Venue Distro 4 seem to be at feature parity and pretty much the same price.  Is there a reason to choose one over another?
Well, the UA844+SWB/LC would be a bit cheaper than the non-LC model, and since your QLX-D all came with BNC cables, (and you don't need the locking cables) you can get the LC version with no problem. I've been selling the regular version for $499, and the LC version for $449.

If I was in your shoes, my only worry would be ensuring I have the right power for my QLX-D. I'm sure RF Venue has researched the living snot out of it, but I would still have that nagging fear.

I have 8ch of QLX-D in our production inventory. I like that the + version now has the cascading out. Reading RF's website, I feel like they're saying you can only connect one additional distro to their product, so if you plan on having a need for more than 8ch of wireless at some point, that would be something I would want to get a definitive answer on. I did get some BNC panel mounts so I can have that cascading cable connected to the same 1U panel with my XLR outputs... making the cascading a lot easier to do on show.

-Ray

(from their website; highlighting mine.)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Elliot Carroll

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »

Well, the UA844+SWB/LC would be a bit cheaper than the non-LC model, and since your QLX-D all came with BNC cables, (and you don't need the locking cables) you can get the LC version with no problem. I've been selling the regular version for $499, and the LC version for $449.

If I was in your shoes, my only worry would be ensuring I have the right power for my QLX-D. I'm sure RF Venue has researched the living snot out of it, but I would still have that nagging fear.

I have 8ch of QLX-D in our production inventory. I like that the + version now has the cascading out. Reading RF's website, I feel like they're saying you can only connect one additional distro to their product, so if you plan on having a need for more than 8ch of wireless at some point, that would be something I would want to get a definitive answer on. I did get some BNC panel mounts so I can have that cascading cable connected to the same 1U panel with my XLR outputs... making the cascading a lot easier to do on show.

-Ray

(from their website; highlighting mine.)

Ray, this only pertains to the amount of cable that is included with the purchase of a Distro4 unit.  You can chain 100 together, if you want.
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »

Ray, this only pertains to the amount of cable that is included with the purchase of a Distro4 unit.  You can chain 100 together, if you want.
Elliot,

That's probably the case. I see they mention the cascading twice on their site- the one I highlighted does indeed mention the included cables, and the paragraph above it mentions the 'cascading port for up to 16 channels of wireless per antenna pair.'

What I can't tell is whether they offer the locking cables that Shure offers for the ULX-D systems (which is why you'd order the non-LC version). From the pictures that they have posted, and what little bit you can see of the power cables, they might not be locking. That could be important to someone. But, since the OP has the QLX-D, those don't request the locking cables.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »

From my vantage point, as new applications engineer for RF Venue, I can say we think in most situations you could string up to four Distro4's together using the combine connectors. It's always the case that as you add more units you will be increasing the noise floor so it will ultimately depend on your exact situation.

Generally speaking, I would expect digital systems could handle more than analog systems.

Don Boomer
RF Venue
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »

Thanks guys.  If there's no advantage to the RFVenue, I'll probably get the Shure.  I'm interested in the Diversity Fin - looks like a nice alternative to dual paddles.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »

From my vantage point, as new applications engineer for RF Venue, I can say we think in most situations you could string up to four Distro4's together using the combine connectors. It's always the case that as you add more units you will be increasing the noise floor so it will ultimately depend on your exact situation.

Generally speaking, I would expect digital systems could handle more than analog systems.

Don Boomer
RF Venue
Nice to know, and thanks for the confirm. I know Shure also shows a layout where 4 UA844+ connect into a FIFTH UA844+ and each "child" UA844+ then handles 4ch of wireless- would be interesting to see how those handle adding a layer of cascading below those. (So each port on the "parent" UA844+ would be now feeding 8ch total through two UA844+ units.)

Alas, I don't have the budget for a metric ton of wireless right now. :D EVEN as a Shure Dealer, it's still a chunk of change...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.