ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: X32/M32 firmware v3 is HERE  (Read 23159 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: X32/M32 firmware v3 is HERE
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 07:16:59 pm »

Sorry.  But it looks like it should have been called Version 2.2.  I'm underwhelmed!

Party of one for Art

In context with the new edit app the X32 now just doubled it's value proposition and has features not available in control software of consoles 10 times it's price.

I find a lot if irony that one of the least expensive consoles has some of the best software.  It makes sense that the much larger Music Group has better software resources than dedicated console manufacturers.  Yamaha just has no excuse for the software they put out (Yamaha fans start the flame war).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 07:19:38 pm »

I updated my X32 Rack last night.  All my config, scenes and libraries are intact.  Other than playing some tracks and hooking up a mic I haven't had a chance to do much more but so far the update doesn't seem to have broken anything I was already doing or using.  I have not updated my iPad and I don't know if the last update to Mixing Station (about a week ago) is V3 happy or not.  Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to see.

In general I was hoping for a couple 'major features' to roll out with this update.  I guess we'll see what happens at the v3.1 mark.

It's great the console software will work with the old control software I have the opposite problem.  If I upgrade my tablet what about all the walk up gigs I get that will still be on 2.x ??

What features are you still looking for Tim that you believe are achievable with the CPU bandwidth and DSP resources in place?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 07:20:46 pm »

Party of one for Art

In context with the new edit app the X32 now just doubled it's value proposition and has features not available in control software of consoles 10 times it's price.

I find a lot if irony that one of the least expensive consoles has some of the best software.  It makes sense that the much larger Music Group has better software resources than dedicated console manufacturers.  Yamaha just has no excuse for the software they put out (Yamaha fans start the flame war).

I'm not sure why but Yamaha has traditionally been kind of lame at getting the "inside" software to be presentable to humans on the "outside" of the console.  What they do inside the machine is stable and reliable but controlling that from another device is not Yamaha's claim to fame. :(
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 07:23:11 pm »

I'm not sure why but Yamaha has traditionally been kind of lame at getting the "inside" software to be presentable to humans on the "outside" of the console.  What they do inside the machine is stable and reliable but controlling that from another device is not Yamaha's claim to fame. :(

Yes I will absolutely add that caveat that I am talking about the user/presentation layer not the underlying system. 

Even the double page glossy trade press on the Rivage you can see at least three different UI paradigms taking place in front of you.  You would think they would have a team to manage the commonality of the UI between development efforts.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 07:29:14 pm »

It's great the console software will work with the old control software I have the opposite problem.  If I upgrade my tablet what about all the walk up gigs I get that will still be on 2.x ??

What features are you still looking for Tim that you believe are achievable with the CPU bandwidth and DSP resources in place?

To amplify a bit:  I backed up my configs, show/scenes and libraries to a USB stick before updating the mixer.  When it was done with the update all my existing stuff was still on the mixer and appears to be unchanged.  This makes me smile already, Scott.

That said, I haven't tried to control the mixer with anything external - not the PC app, the i-thing app or David Giga's Mixingstation.  I'll know more later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

The new X32 Edit for PC isn't "Apple-pretty" but it put a lot more stuff on screen and so far, makes it appear to be very manageable.  I'm not sure what folks were expecting....

I wasn't looking for anything specific, but there has been a 2year+ thread over at Soundforums for suggestions about V3 feature additions.  The automixer was one that got a fair bit of traction; another request with more than 1 supporter (/sarc) was for auto-tune (shudder).  I'm not wanting autotune in any form but I bet it would sell consoles...

One thing I'd love to have on the physical mixers is a way to assign the input EQ filter type selection to a rotary control so I don't have to step thru them, live.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Gary Weller

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 07:47:14 pm »

Automix is the reason I'll be taking an X32 to a major transportation safety conference next month.

Great if you need it, useless to me.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 08:01:49 pm by Gary Weller »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »

Wouldn't an X-Air be smaller or do you need an actual desk?

I need a full console. Panel discussion, moderator, audience Q&A along with VDO playback, DVD rolls and the usual AV stuff.

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2016, 10:00:01 pm »

To amplify a bit:  I backed up my configs, show/scenes and libraries to a USB stick before updating the mixer.  When it was done with the update all my existing stuff was still on the mixer and appears to be unchanged.  This makes me smile already, Scott.

That said, I haven't tried to control the mixer with anything external - not the PC app, the i-thing app or David Giga's Mixingstation.  I'll know more later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

One thing I'd love to have on the physical mixers is a way to assign the input EQ filter type selection to a rotary control so I don't have to step thru them, live.
Mixing station has a drop down menu and you can choose the filter types. The iPad options suck as when you scroll thru filters you would NEVER use in that situation come up. Makes changing filters while audio is passing a non option.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:33:07 pm »

I have over 80 scenes at one of our venues and the same bands rotate through.  These are fairly well vetted scenes so that is an issue for me too.  One thing I have never figured out is how to backup all the scenes at once.  I have tried the show backup but it didn't do what I thought it would (restore all the scenes).  This was awhile ago so maybe that has been fixed.

The rotary control is already implemented by the soft encoder on the screen.  If you hit view in the EQ section the far left soft know selects the EQ type.  I don't have the board in front of me but the change doesn't take effect until you press the encoder, the same way as an insert or an effect type modification flows.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

I have over 80 scenes at one of our venues and the same bands rotate through.  These are fairly well vetted scenes so that is an issue for me too.  One thing I have never figured out is how to backup all the scenes at once.  I have tried the show backup but it didn't do what I thought it would (restore all the scenes). 

If you have all the scenes loaded as Cues in the Show, and "Show" set as your default mode, and then export the Show, doesn't that save all the Scenes in the Scene list? That's what I always thought it would/should do, but maybe I'm wrong.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.