ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack  (Read 28390 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2016, 12:58:41 AM »

Funny you mention internet download presentations - my old boss was addicted to Google Docs, Sheets and Presentations, and didn't understand that WiFi wasn't available everywhere, and that it MIGHT be a lot easier to have a Keynote presentation on his MacBook Air that had all the videos embedded vs. hoping that YouTube might load up his video clips...

For those of you asked to put together presentations, WonderTube is a godsend to save the underlying YouTube as a video file to not be in the mercies of internet, wifi, etc. during a presentation to several hundred people...

Before I got out of the H.O.W. scene this was de riquer with no rehearsal and marginal wireless people used to come up and log on to their accounts.  How was I supposed to keep track of credentials or download and correlate all this content?  This was when I was supposed to be pinning the stage and ringing out monitors.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2016, 01:02:28 AM »

Now I'm definitely not a Joney Ive fanboy, and hate that he's reduced a macbook to 1 USB-C for power and anything else, but all of the things Apple has done have been leading the way vs. following, and for that I'm happy.
One thing with USB C is that it supports higher voltage input for fast charging.  But when you put that on a USB bus and plug a thumb drive or something used to 5V into another port, you zap the stick.  You have to put some extra stuff in there to make it all play nice.  Apple kind of rushed the type C out there.

Disclaimer, I worked on the Pixel Chromebook which I think was the first device with multiple USB-C ports.

Scott Slater

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:41 AM »

The next generation of digital mixers could likely have Bluetooth on-board to make up for this.   Presonus has already done it with their new small format analog mixers, so I really wouldn't be surprised to see it happen more.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »

Funny you mention internet download presentations - my old boss was addicted to Google Docs, Sheets and Presentations, and didn't understand that WiFi wasn't available everywhere, and that it MIGHT be a lot easier to have a Keynote presentation on his MacBook Air that had all the videos embedded vs. hoping that YouTube might load up his video clips...

The two biggest problems I've seen with people's presentations are:
  • Failing to export the PowerPoint presentation in such a way that fonts (and videos/sounds) are embedded, so many times slides are all messed up when they try to replay it on someone else's computer
  • Attempting to play video from a S-L-O-W USB stick

The next problem is video codecs. Sometimes it seems every computer ever made uses a DIFFERENT video codec. Don't know how many times someone has said "play this video I made" and it doesn't play because I didn't have THEIR codec.

Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

James Feenstra

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2016, 08:28:13 PM »

That ups their take by another 1% or so.
it's a tax deduction regardless...

either I get that 1% off my taxable income or I pay tax on the 1%....really doesn't matter in the long run
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2016, 11:47:14 AM »

One thing with USB C is that it supports higher voltage input for fast charging.  But when you put that on a USB bus and plug a thumb drive or something used to 5V into another port, you zap the stick.  You have to put some extra stuff in there to make it all play nice.  Apple kind of rushed the type C out there.

Disclaimer, I worked on the Pixel Chromebook which I think was the first device with multiple USB-C ports.

Nice...
Anger did release recently a USB charger that has a separate USB-C port for your macbook, so that you can have one charger for both. Doesn't work as a bus, but carrying around one less lump could be worth it. We used Anker chargers exclusively at my last robot job where we were charging 10 at a time per Anker device and no problems with them in 2 years (we had 10)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 04:27:20 AM »

Nice...
Anger did release recently a USB charger that has a separate USB-C port for your macbook, so that you can have one charger for both. Doesn't work as a bus, but carrying around one less lump could be worth it. We used Anker chargers exclusively at my last robot job where we were charging 10 at a time per Anker device and no problems with them in 2 years (we had 10)

+2 for Anker, great chargers and indestructible cables
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2016, 09:39:47 AM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:43:05 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 07:09:43 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »

I feel sorry for those who actually drills a hole in their iphone7...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.