ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack  (Read 28385 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2016, 07:57:14 PM »

Since the phone isn't any thinner than previous, I suspect the primary reason is internal volume.  Also, a headphone jack requires a number of additional parts, the cost of which could go elsewhere.  Besides the connector itself, you need a flex cable to get it to the main board, which is rarely near where the connector is.  Even though the flex is thin, you still have to work out a routing between the two, and hold it in place somehow.  You need a DAC and an audio amplifier which is another IC to fit somewhere and pay for.  Getting rid of all this makes room for a larger battery, lowers cost and simplifies assembly.  So while I like having a jack on the phone, I understand getting rid of it.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 08:45:09 PM »

For tjose of us that play the stock market, there has to be an opportunity here to invest in whatever tech is going to replace the phone jack.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 10:49:36 PM »

I wouldn't assume that - the lightning connector has way to many conductors to be just digital.  I think they have planned this all along.

I don't know.  I thought analogue disappeared with the 30pin connector.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_(connector)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2016, 10:56:15 PM »

Since the phone isn't any thinner than previous, I suspect the primary reason is internal volume.  Also, a headphone jack requires a number of additional parts, the cost of which could go elsewhere.  Besides the connector itself, you need a flex cable to get it to the main board, which is rarely near where the connector is.  Even though the flex is thin, you still have to work out a routing between the two, and hold it in place somehow.  You need a DAC and an audio amplifier which is another IC to fit somewhere and pay for.  Getting rid of all this makes room for a larger battery, lowers cost and simplifies assembly.  So while I like having a jack on the phone, I understand getting rid of it.

And removing a big hole in the case helps with the water resistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 12:51:17 AM »

For tjose of us that play the stock market, there has to be an opportunity here to invest in whatever tech is going to replace the phone jack.
I cannot use Square without a phone jack. Some people pay that way.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 12:51:27 AM »

Reminds me of the time Microsoft introduced Windows Me and people complained that their 16-bit apps and drivers no longer worked (despite Windows having supported 32-bit for over 10 years -- yes, even under 3.1 -- already).

I am somewhat of a Windows historian, Windows 3.1 did not have the 32-bit abstraction layer.  That feature made it's public debut in Windows for Workgroups along with the stunningly (for the time) fast 32 bit hard disk, network and display driver stack.

The 80x86 architecture had a 24 bit address bus which allowed it to directly address up to 16MB of RAM, however since Windows 3.1 was a DOS application, relying on the extensions of himem.sys to access more than 1MB of memory.  This is a convention left over from the 8086 CPU and the whole DOS 768k user space.

If you want to start another thread I could bore you even further as my machine code experience goes back to the Zilog Z80 and Intel 8080 processors and the CP/M operating system, where I cut my teeth. 

I love the subject because in the late 70's I was part of the inner circle of R/CPM bulletin board operators.  Literally in a single lifetime I have gone from 300 (for all practical purposes 1200) baud dial up connections to DWDM multi-lambda 10G Internet peers.  In 1982 I had the privilege to connect a 9600 baud point to point connection from my University in Tampa to either Duke or UNC I forgot.  I have a vivid memory of the statistical mux on the connection as we had to share it for some administrative purpose.  the SLIP stack was running on an NCR mini tower running System V.  Bob Metcalfe (of Ethernet and 3COM fame) and Dennis Ritchie were frequent posters to newsgroups back then.  It was really heady times.

Wow - what a thread drift but a fun flashback

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 04:47:06 AM »

but plenty of people pay far too much for those lousy headphones.

You are doing a disservice to things which are legitimately lousy!

I saw a video where a set of Beats headphones were taken apart.  Just $5 of generic cheap driver inside... and a weight to make it feel more substantial!

Steve.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 05:12:34 AM »

Everyone was slagging off at the hopeless 1/8" connector until Apple decided to dump it...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 08:17:47 AM »

Everyone was slagging off at the hopeless 1/8" connector until Apple decided to dump it...

You noticed huh?

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
And the market responds
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »

Hum not a real fuzzy feeling as my phone is my go to for music pre, post, and after sets at a gig.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/09/06/492876197/apple-may-test-iphone-users-loyalty-if-it-dumps-the-headphone-jack

I just saw THIS on another forum. It looks like a good solution to the lack of an 1/8" jack.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

And the market responds
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.