Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Installed Sound/Contracting

Clip light on Crown amps

<< < (2/3) > >>

Joseph D. Macry:

a. The channel has not shut down. Speakers are producing audio.
b. I don't suspect thermal stress, as this light is usually on as soon as the amp is turned on.

A rep from Crown tech support suggests the following: "If a clip light is on, with or without audio and the audio is fine, my guess is the 50 pin cable is acting up. Could be a reference point being lost due to the cable causing the led to turn on. If the front end board was bad, which can cause the clip led to turn on, no audio would pass."

Scott Carneval:
Older MacroTech's had an IOC (Input Output Comparator) circuit that would light to indicate the output varied by more than .05% from the input. Maybe these CTS series clip lights were based on a similar circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Scott Carneval on September 02, 2016, 05:14:21 PM ---Older MacroTech's had an IOC (Input Output Comparator) circuit that would light to indicate the output varied by more than .05% from the input. Maybe these CTS series clip lights were based on a similar circuit.

--- End quote ---
I was going to suggest something like this, in fact many clip limiters are built on a similar detection topology.

When comparing real output, to a virtual what output should be, any number of faults that prevent output from hitting full target levels will indicate fault. For example current limiting or weak output stage devices would indicate pretty similar.

JR

Joseph D. Macry:

--- Quote from: Scott Carneval on September 02, 2016, 05:14:21 PM ---Older MacroTech's had an IOC (Input Output Comparator) circuit that would light to indicate the output varied by more than .05% from the input. Maybe these CTS series clip lights were based on a similar circuit.

--- End quote ---

Would such an IOC circuit light up before audio input is turned up?

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Joseph D. Macry on September 06, 2016, 04:48:09 PM ---Would such an IOC circuit light up before audio input is turned up?

--- End quote ---
It could... Suppose the amp output is supposed to be 0V and it isn't. The input-output-comparator, compares what it should be to what it is and says no match so lights up.

Crown service should be the experts about what you are dealing with, not me.

JR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version