ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for an upgrade  (Read 12650 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Time for an upgrade
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:40 am »

I am still baffeled at what makes the SM80 so good? Its just a coax 12" on a wave guide. It obviously trades extension for efficiency. It seems that would be ok if you are running them directly above your subs but wouldnt the crossover be too high to run the subs as a center cluster? I have not heard any Danley stuff but looking at the specs makes me question its ability to blend well with subs.

You should find time to demo some SM80s. It's a nice sounding box and impressively loud for a 60lb speaker-on-a-stick. Like other Danley tops I've heard, it's very crisp and clear but can come across as harsh sometimes. That's pretty easy to tame though. It's easier to soften sharp edges than sharpen mud.

Some work has to be done to tune and get used to using the SM80 because of its lack of LF extension. However, using speakers with lower extension, even if you crossover around 70 or 80 Hz, you can't typically center cluster and get the crossover region in phase that well. 70Hz is ~15ft so you'd need to be within ~4ft (1/4 wavelength) to couple well. Everything is a trade-off.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2016, 12:10:56 pm »

The problem with the jbl srx835 is it looks like it was designed to be a one box full range solution with an f3 at 43hz. Had they utilized a higher efficiency 15 midbass and shot for an f3 >65 it would have been a better fit for your needs.

Call me cynical, but I have a hard time believing that the response curve posted on their spec sheet is the unprocessed curve. It looks too good to be unprocessed, and believe it has a substantial boost down in the LF to get that response. This will come at the expense of SPL. BUT, when you use their 'external sub' preset you will get the SPL back.

I am still baffeled at what makes the SM80 so good? Its just a coax 12" on a wave guide. It obviously trades extension for efficiency. It seems that would be ok if you are running them directly above your subs but wouldnt the crossover be too high to run the subs as a center cluster? I have not heard any Danley stuff but looking at the specs makes me question its ability to blend well with subs.

It's a lot more than just trading LF extension for SPL, or else all of the other manufacturers would do it. That 'wave guide' is a carefully designed horn, which is where the additional SPL comes from. Anyone can load their drivers on a horn, but getting it to sound good is the challenge.

No speaker will align well with a center clustered sub. The best way to align the speakers and subs is to fly the subs with the speakers. Better yet, center clustered speakers, center clustered subs, both flown. But not many people do that because it doesn't 'look right'.

The SM80 aligns with subs just as well as any 'conventional' box. The 'hole' in the lower-mids is not as big of an issue as it looks on paper. Most people 'haystack' their subs - or run them much hotter than the mains. This tends to fill in much of the hole, so you don't need to cross them much higher than 120ish

Dave Duff

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't trying to disrespect the capabilities of the SM80. I am a hobbyist speaker builder and am always looking at different designs to see what makes them different or special. The TH series are very innovative bass cabinets and the Synergy horns have taken the old concept of point source and implemented it well in the PA world. Those designs are obviously unique and different than the run of the mill double 18 or 15" 2-way, almost as if they are magic, LOL. The SM80 has been talked about as if it has the same magic but it just appears far more run of the mill compared to the other Danley products. It seems more like the mentioned JTR 3TX, very high quality components just implemented in more conventional ways.

I missed the Danley demo at Infocomm in Orlando last year. I won't miss it the next time its around. ;)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2016, 07:25:32 am »

Sorry, I wasn't trying to disrespect the capabilities of the SM80. I am a hobbyist speaker builder and am always looking at different designs to see what makes them different or special. The TH series are very innovative bass cabinets and the Synergy horns have taken the old concept of point source and implemented it well in the PA world. Those designs are obviously unique and different than the run of the mill double 18 or 15" 2-way, almost as if they are magic, LOL. The SM80 has been talked about as if it has the same magic but it just appears far more run of the mill compared to the other Danley products. It seems more like the mentioned JTR 3TX, very high quality components just implemented in more conventional ways.

I missed the Danley demo at Infocomm in Orlando last year. I won't miss it the next time its around. ;)
The horn used in the SM80 is the 5th "try" at the the horn layout.  It took building a number of different ones (hand layed fiberglass) to get it to where we like the performance.

There are also some "tricks", but don't appear at first glance to be anything big, but they do make a difference.

We will be back in Orlando this year at Infocomm (June).

We may be doing a couple of fun evening demos this year.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2016, 10:08:01 am »

We will be back in Orlando this year at Infocomm (June).

We may be doing a couple of fun evening demos this year.

Yay, really looking forward to that. The last few in Orlando were too toned down for what I want to hear (not by your choice). Even more excited to now compare to my JTR rig.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2016, 10:08:01 am »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.