ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Time for an upgrade  (Read 12602 times)

Josh Carkner

Time for an upgrade
« on: September 02, 2016, 11:40:10 am »

I've been using a pretty tired EV rig for a while now and I feel that it's time for an upgrade. I would like a more modern system that is capable of doing outside gig's for about 300 people or a 40ft wide by 80ft deep area. The music is mostly pop/rock or party band style stuff. The system I've been using is 4 EV MTH-1 tops over 6 MTL-1's (with the dl18mt drivers). I'm not so much interested in self powered since I already have cabling, amps and DSP I can use, but I'm not ruling self powered out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I would like to know what other's on here would use for a similar venue.

Thanks!

EDIT: after rereading this I feel that I should clarify that I'm really only looking to upgrade my main speakers as they are the only components in the system that are tired and outdated.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 11:43:44 am by Joshua Carkner »

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Time for an upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 11:48:26 am »

I'm betting you're also tired of carrying those monsters around!  Lot's of good choices out there.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 11:57:02 am »

I've been using a pretty tired EV rig for a while now and I feel that it's time for an upgrade. I would like a more modern system that is capable of doing outside gig's for about 300 people or a 40ft wide by 80ft deep area. The music is mostly pop/rock or party band style stuff. The system I've been using is 4 EV MTH-1 tops over 6 MTL-1's (with the dl18mt drivers). I'm not so much interested in self powered since I already have cabling, amps and DSP I can use, but I'm not ruling self powered out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I would like to know what other's on here would use for a similar venue.

Thanks!

EDIT: after rereading this I feel that I should clarify that I'm really only looking to upgrade my main speakers as they are the only components in the system that are tired and outdated.

What is it specifically about the MTH-1's that you don't like? Size, weight, rigging problems? What do you mean by 'tired'?

The MTH-1 was a VERY nice box back in the mid-90's when it was released, and still performs better than a lot of boxes on the market today. You might realize some improvement by bi-amping, if you have the tools to properly align the drivers.

What is your budget? It would take much more than an 'MI grade' speaker to be considered an upgrade. I don't think even the new SRX800 series could match it in terms of output, but might offer slightly better sound quality.

Josh Carkner

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 11:59:25 am »

I'm betting you're also tired of carrying those monsters around!  Lot's of good choices out there.

Sure am! the MTL-1's are HUGE and the MTH-1's are stupid heavy for just a 10" driver and a horn!

Josh Carkner

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »

What is it specifically about the MTH-1's that you don't like? Size, weight, rigging problems? What do you mean by 'tired'?

The MTH-1 was a VERY nice box back in the mid-90's when it was released, and still performs better than a lot of boxes on the market today. You might realize some improvement by bi-amping, if you have the tools to properly align the drivers.

What is your budget? It would take much more than an 'MI grade' speaker to be considered an upgrade. I don't think even the new SRX800 series could match it in terms of output, but might offer slightly better sound quality.

Well, I really can't complain about the tops too much, they are loud and they throw nicely. My main complaint about them is that they only go down to about 170hz so the MTL-1's have to go up that high and it can be a little muddy down there because of it. I'm also concerned about age. I want to make sure I have a system that will propel me into the future. To be honest I'm pretty surprised to hear that an SRX800 series speaker would't be much of an upgrade. I was actually thinking about an SRX800 rig as a replacement, or maybe an eaw rig.

budget wise I would like to stay around $1200 per cab on the used market.

Scott Carneval

• Cenero Audio Visual
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 12:18:11 pm »

Well, I really can't complain about the tops too much, they are loud and they throw nicely. My main complaint about them is that they only go down to about 170hz so the MTL-1's have to go up that high and it can be a little muddy down there because of it.

Depending on how 'hot' you run the subs, you should be crossing them much lower than 170. You should be able to cross them at about 100-125 and still have them equal in level to the tops at 160-170hz. If your subs are run 12db hotter than the tops, and you use a 12db/octave crossover, then it would take a full octave for the subs to attenuate to the level of the tops. You should be able to find more information if you search 'electrical crossover vs. acoustical crossover'.

To be honest I'm pretty surprised to hear that an SRX800 series speaker would't be much of an upgrade. I was actually thinking about an SRX800 rig as a replacement, or maybe an eaw rig.

It would certainly be an upgrade in portability, and maybe in sound quality as well. But I have a hard time believing the SRX-P series would get louder than the MTH-1. MAYBE the 835 would come close. I've used the MTH-1's quite a bit and the SRX as well. But I've never compared them side-by-side.

Josh Carkner

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »

Depending on how 'hot' you run the subs, you should be crossing them much lower than 170. You should be able to cross them at about 100-125 and still have them equal in level to the tops at 160-170hz. If your subs are run 12db hotter than the tops, and you use a 12db/octave crossover, then it would take a full octave for the subs to attenuate to the level of the tops. You should be able to find more information if you search 'electrical crossover vs. acoustical crossover'.

I will absolutely look into this. I am using a driverack 260 and triamping the current system. I can tell you that I'm Low Passing the MTL's at 160hz with a Link-Riley 24db curve and I am time aligning them to the tops with a bit of delay on the tops per EV's recommendations. I'm also time aligning the compression driver to the mid driver in the tops.

Josh Carkner

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »

Now I'm just kind of spitballing here but what about 4 eaw jf260's or 560's for tops and 4 eaw fr250z's?
Or
4 KF650z's over 4 Dual 18" eaw subs
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:13:58 pm by Joshua Carkner »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 06:50:08 pm »

"Already have the amps", which I'm guessing are old heavy iron.  Another advantage of modern powered systems.

That's not a terribly large area, what kind of SPLs are you trying to achieve?

Josh Carkner

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »

"Already have the amps", which I'm guessing are old heavy iron.  Another advantage of modern powered systems.

That's not a terribly large area, what kind of SPLs are you trying to achieve?

My amp rack consists of 4 PL380's, a PL325 and a driverack 260.

I'd like to be able to cover 300 people at rock concert levels and I'm okay with having too much, I just don't ever want to be in a situation where I don't have enough.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.