ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: M32 - DL 32 connectivity  (Read 7347 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: M32 - DL 32 connectivity
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »

it is set up as "this is what's going out here" not "where do I want this coming out"

ie. out of AES50a I want out 1-16

not out 1-16 should be sent to AES50a

I realize they sound like the same thing, but they're very different

THIS. RIGHT. HERE.

Coming or going?  You travel either way.... but they're not the same.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Richard

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 07:40:33 PM »

That's an apt way of putting it Tim. As someone who just made the jump from analog to digital there's a tendency to draw on experience that doesn't always translate to the digital realm. There are still features on the M32 that I haven't gotten to but i'm having a ton of fun learning. Cheers!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 11:46:57 PM »

it is set up as "this is what's going out here" not "where do I want this coming out"

ie. out of AES50a I want out 1-16

not out 1-16 should be sent to AES50a

I realize they sound like the same thing, but they're very different

Yep, exactly.  Figuring out the routing is one of the most complicated areas in the X32.  Once you get the hang of it, it's easier, but you will always scratch your head a bit with complicated setups.

To make things a little more confusing, is that you can patch the inputs to your outputs differently than the outputs of the XLR connectors on the back of the board.  What, you say?  Yep, you assign 16 outputs individually, but then assign the XLR outputs in banks of 4, which can be the outputs, or any number of other handy options.

I just finished configuring an X32 system that needed a total of 19 separate outputs. Had to use a combination of outputs and aux busses to make it happen.  Then, since I didn't want to re-patch cables in the amp racks (each with an X32 rack inside) I had to patch each output to AES50, then patch that to an input and then do a direct out to each of the XLR outputs.  When I first started, I'd have just moved patch cables around. Now that I have the hang of it, it's a piece of cake.

Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 02:52:03 AM »

I just finished configuring an X32 system that needed a total of 19 separate outputs. Had to use a combination of outputs and aux busses to make it happen.  Then, since I didn't want to re-patch cables in the amp racks (each with an X32 rack inside) I had to patch each output to AES50, then patch that to an input and then do a direct out to each of the XLR outputs.  When I first started, I'd have just moved patch cables around. Now that I have the hang of it, it's a piece of cake.

I always said I don't want to be "that guy" that talks about how he had to walk to school uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow but.

The X32 routing is a walk in the park.  The Midas Pro stuff takes a bit to wrap your head around buttttt..

Some of the old broadcast routing switches were animals.  You had to use thumbwheels and pushbuttons to make hexadecimal entries and each bit assigned a port to a bus.  Before these programmable cards there were the old Intergroup switches that had DIP switches in binary that would assign the timeslot on the bus. 

The interfaces and front end processing power I have seen in 30 years of working on technology is incredible.   

A little tip, it is much easier to program in x32edit on a PC than on the tablet or the console itself. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »

I didn't say that the X32 was harder than other options, just that understanding the concepts are the most difficult part to grasp.  If I had to put together routing as I have done here without the X32 using older analog gear, it would have been a nightmare!

Just about any digital console gives you SO many more options than analog boards ever did. Setting up routing and making sense of what you actually did can be a challenge for many.  Each board is very different on how that gets set up. The actual mixing part of things is actually fairly similar and easily navigated when you walk up to most new boards. 
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.