ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DHCP or STATIC?  (Read 22413 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
DHCP or STATIC?
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:20:19 AM »

I am at the edge of my knowledge of networks and seem to create more problems for myself than I can solve.
Last night my reliable Apple wirleless enabled router wouldn't connect to an X32 that I had used the previous week.
It had been set up as a static IP and set the console up as per usual. No love and much frustration.
As I use a wide variety of consoles from different manufactirers, as supplied by the production companys, I would like to get to the bottom of this IP issue.
I only need to connect to one console at a time and sometimes connect to racks of wirless receivers.
Does it make more sense to have the device set up in DHCP mode or static IP?
If the router is in DHCP and the console can only do static (like the M7 I think) what is the solution?
Would it be better to buy a WAP device rather than use a wireless enabled router? I don't need to connect to the Internet or WAN.
I don't want to spend huge money and I would like this stuff to fit in my brief case, like the Apple Airport.
I have found a couple of Netgear options under $200.
Any help is appreciated so I can stop being an IT guy on a gig and actually MIX THE AUDIO! ::)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:34:49 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: DHCP or STATIC?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:46:53 AM »

I don't know about the PM10 but all other Yamaha consoles with Ethernet connections are Static IP devices. That being said, I use cheap-ish wireless routers set to DHCP to connect my wired and wireless devices to the Yamahas, Midas and Behringers without any issue. The only time I had a problem was with an ASUS router and an M7. When I went back to my venerable Linksys, all was well. Something with the ASUS was blocking the MIDI over LAN communication. I've stuck with Linksys and recently Ubiquiti from then on and had no issues.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 10:59:52 AM »

My gear is always set as static. Don't know why you were having issues but if all your numbers were right it should work.
You'd have problems if there was an IP address conflict. Or the router was set for a range, say . 3 to. 100 and the board was at. 200

Other problems would be connecting to different networks. I've had problems with laptops and pads that won't stay connected to a closed network that doesn't access the internet. You have to set them to connect automatically to your network or they'll keep switching to one that has internet access.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

I like DHCP as I use my wireless devices for other things (like hotel internet) so it saves me having to change them back and forth.
-Andy

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 11:12:57 AM »

One key to happiness is making sure only one device is using any one address.

Think what would happen to your snail mail if every neiborhood group chose house addresses? Someone needs to be in charge.

You need to know what addresses the DHCP server is handing out and be sure to avoid them when choosing a static IP address. Each brand of router (router, access point, DHCP server and network switch - all in a box) has its own plan for addresses.

If two devices end up with the same address, things will behave unexpectedly and badly.

What I do is
1) choose my network address to be different than the factory default. For example, many have network 192.168.1.x as the default with address 1 (192.168.1.1) for the router. I choose something else like 192.168.55.x with the router at 254. Why?
Well, there may be another router on the site still set to the defaults.

2) I decide what addresses I am going to use for DHCP and static. I may choose (and configure the router box) to have the range 51-90 for DHCP. That's 40 addresses and for small production is more than plenty.
Next, I decide what address range I will use for my devices and which addresses I will use for foreign (supplied by someone else) devices. For me, addresses 101-150 are all mine. Next I assign them the my specific gear. My ls9 gets 101, my GLD gets 111 for example. A second ls9 might get 102.
Now I know what addresses I can safely choose at a gig. In my case, anything from 151 to 200 are safe.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »

Computers suck... I just had to replace the router on my home/office network because the old router stopped playing nice with the DSL modem, and the router is so old I'd have to reincarnate an old windows PC computer just to change settings. It didn't drop dead suddenly just degraded download speed and service to the point that DSL connection was constantly timing out..... (at least in part an AT&T network issue too) but new router is easier to change..

JR

[edit-   new router cisco rv130 showed up today... set up was fun because IP address in the instructions didn't work. My modem read a different IP address for the router and that worked... 

all good now DSL hasn't dropped out in over a week, and download speed is 20x vs the old tired linksys router.  [/edit]

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:59:58 PM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:54:14 PM »

The biggest source of frustration in networking Yamaha consoles is that most small wifi routers default to the 192.168.1.x subnet, while the default Yamaha address is 192.168.0.128. So of course if you have a freshly-reset console from a rental house with your own wifi you'll probably not be able to connect until you change one or the other.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »

The newest generation of Yamaha consoles (PM10, TF) do network a lot better. The consoles can get a DCHP address, and the software is much better about finding the console even if you don't know what address is assigned.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:33:02 PM »

One key to happiness is making sure only one device is using any one address.

You need to know what addresses the DHCP server is handing out and be sure to avoid them when choosing a static IP address. Each brand of router (router, access point, DHCP server and network switch - all in a box) has its own plan for addresses.

So I have the router  with an IP address of 192.168.0.98 set to DHCP only and a DHCP range 192.168.0.2-22 and those addresses will be handed out to equipment that is set to DHCP and wants an IP addy. All good so far.
Now I want to connect to an M7 console (or some other console with no DHCP capability)and set the console IP to a value outside of the DHCP range but still in the 192.168.0 group...say 192.168.0.128.
Will the console connect to the router even with the router set to DHCP?
Will I then have the iPad set to DHCP and it will get an address when I connect to the wireless network I have created on the router?

I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »

Will the console connect to the router even with the router set to DHCP?
Yes.

Will I then have the iPad set to DHCP and it will get an address when I connect to the wireless network I have created on the router?
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.