ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DHCP or STATIC?  (Read 22382 times)

David Buckley

Re: DHCP or STATIC?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 08:35:41 PM »

For the sorts of networks used in audio: always use static IPs.  Put a label on the thing with its IP address.  Keep a master list of IPs in use.  Consider having an IP address scheme, ie splitting up the actuall address range into blocks by type of thing.  For examples, 192.168.x.7x is for cameras, 192.168.x.8x is for printers etc. 

Do you sometimes take the thing home ann plug it into the home network?  Then make sure that IP address scheme encompasses both scenarios.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 05:59:20 AM »

Generally you don't set a router to DHCP.
You often set the port connecting to the wan (Internet) to be DHCP so it gets an address from your ISP.

That's what I thought but when I go to update the settings, Airport wants you to set the WAN side to a static IP.
As mentioned abouve, I think the Airport is not a good choice for this application. Works great for my home network with no issues.
So, back to one of my previous questions, should I replace it with a typical "router" or get a wireless access point device?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:32:27 AM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

John L Nobile

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

That's what I thought but when I go to update the settings, Airport wants you to set the WAN side to a static IP.
As mentioned abouve, I think the Airport is not a good choice for this application. Works great for my home network with no issues.
So, back to one of my previous questions, should I replace it with a typical "router" or get a wireless access point device?

You'll still need a router with an access point. It would be easier to get a wireless router.

However, Ubiquity does make an affordable 3 port router and access points. I've been testing one at my day gig and it's been solid. Just waiting for some work to be done in the room to deploy it.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »

You'll still need a router with an access point. It would be easier to get a wireless router.

However, Ubiquity does make an affordable 3 port router and access points. I've been testing one at my day gig and it's been solid. Just waiting for some work to be done in the room to deploy it.
It's my understanding if I am using a staic IP network, I would not necessarily need a router however, it would be easier when connecting to a group of RF receivers to go DHCP.
I will look up the product you mentioned.

BTW...how's it going up there? Still want to ride up and put an ear to the Danley.

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

It's my understanding if I am using a staic IP network, I would not necessarily need a router however, it would be easier when connecting to a group of RF receivers to go DHCP.
I will look up the product you mentioned.

BTW...how's it going up there? Still want to ride up and put an ear to the Danley.

Access points need a router to get an IP address. You probably don't need anything that elaborate. A good quality wireless router should be fine. Most manufacturers are good but I'd stay away from DLink and Apple.

I'm starting to get my sense of pitch back after last weeks band. Nothing makes you cringe more than the key change in Living on a Prayer with the vocal not even near the key and everywhere but on the melody for the rest of it. Why doesn't that bother most people??????

We're back to running just on occaissional Saturday nights now. Check out website for the schedule.

You're welcome anytime. If we're not busy I can probably comp you a room. Since we'll be talking about PA, I can put you down as a consultant.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 11:04:02 AM »

I see many people recommending static IP, but why exactly? I use DHCP and haven't had any issues and it's way more convenient.

Speaking of brands, I was hooking up a home with some consumer networking equipment and had been using the internet connection there for a couple of days. Things were very fast. Yesterday, things slowed down considerably. I did a speedtest and it showed that the speed was still the same for downloading and uploading, but for some reason, web pages were loading much slower, e-mail was taking longer to sync, etc. It was very noticeable.
What had changed? Well, luckily only one thing. The entertainment center got hooked up, and guess what? I needed a switch so the networked receiver, PS3 and Smart TV could all connect. I had a small 4-port DLink switch lying around and put it in there. Disconnected it, and the speed went right back up again.
Again, screwed by DLink. This is how they've always failed for me, they don't stop working, they just do something that slows down the whole network or become unreliable. It's happened so many times where something "just doesn't seem right" and the culprit is a DLink product.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »

I see many people recommending static IP, but why exactly? I use DHCP and haven't had any issues and it's way more convenient.

As I recall, the Yamaha LS9 and M7CL don't have DHCP capability so a static IP is required.
Also, having just tested, the iPad connects to the network much faster when assigned a static IP.
Looking for options to replace my Apple router.
Will post results.

John L Nobile

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »

The main problem I find with home routers is that they need to be rebooted at least monthly if not more. Not a problem with expensive Enterprise gear but who's got the money or expertise to set them up?

Shouldn't be a problem with a one nighter but if you're in the same place longer, reboot it daily.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 11:16:31 AM »

I'm starting to get my sense of pitch back after last weeks band. Nothing makes you cringe more than the key change in Living on a Prayer with the vocal not even near the key and everywhere but on the melody for the rest of it. Why doesn't that bother most people??????

We're back to running just on occaissional Saturday nights now. Check out website for the schedule.

You're welcome anytime. If we're not busy I can probably comp you a room. Since we'll be talking about PA, I can put you down as a consultant.
I feel your pain! Just recovering from an awful gig last Saturday.
Will be in touch by email for a "consulting" day :)

George Dougherty

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »

As I have posted before, I use Netgear WNDR 3700 units. I have 4. I never have any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1 on Netgear.  Dlinks have gone bad on me at several clients, Linksys has gone overpriced for not that great a quality.  Run an Asus at home so far with good results over a year.  Netgear units have had consistently great performance without external antennas giving me less to worry about breaking.  Last 3 routers have been Netgear and all 3 have worked flawlessly in almost all settings.  I upgrade every year or two to get the latest 802.11 standards with my newer tablets.

To the OP, I just setup an X32Rack with a small squarish Airport Express.  Initially tablets and computers couldn't connect but after a period and maybe plugging and unplugging the hardwired connection it finally decided to connect.  If you have a Mac to manage them, the Airport Express devices aren't all that bad, otherwise I strongly dislike the lack of a web-based interface for management and the need to download an app.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 3.365 seconds with 22 queries.