ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midi foot controller for DMX 512  (Read 7064 times)

David Harris

Midi foot controller for DMX 512
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:01:28 PM »

Hey guys! Here's what I am doing. I am in a band, and I provide sound and lighting. But I also own a sound company, and I provide light production as well. Right now, I run my Stage lighting with a Chuavet obey 70. I basically just have different scenes programmed in, and I manually change them from song to song. I would like to upgrade to a DMX program, for better control. But I also need MIDI capability,  for use with a foot controller when I am playing in my band. Does anyone know of any DMX programs that have MIDI capability?

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Midi foot controller for DMX 512
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »

Before anyone can respond please change your name to your full real name as stated in the rules. Thanks!
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »

Hey guys! Here's what I am doing. I am in a band, and I provide sound and lighting. But I also own a sound company, and I provide light production as well. Right now, I run my Stage lighting with a Chuavet obey 70. I basically just have different scenes programmed in, and I manually change them from song to song. I would like to upgrade to a DMX program, for better control. But I also need MIDI capability,  for use with a foot controller when I am playing in my band. Does anyone know of any DMX programs that have MIDI capability?

Im sure many of them do.  I use Showxpress and it has it.  I use it with a  midi wing to trigger my scenes so I still have faders and buttons.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »

Most do in one way or another.  Some software is accepting of 3rd party MIDI interfaces (I believe M-PC falls into this category), others, such as MagicQ, require you to use a proprietary interface (which isn't cheap).  Most of the software programs will tell you in the manual what all can be triggered via MIDI and what hardware you'll need to get things working.  Hope this helps!

Rob Gow

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:42:56 PM »

I use a software program called DMXIS by Enttec. It's around $300, for the hardware/software combination. You can do some nice chases etc with it. Movers as well. It can be controlled easily with a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller ($160) and I use a Roland UM-ONE MIDI to USB interface ($25) works great!

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »

I use a software program called DMXIS by Enttec. It's around $300, for the hardware/software combination. You can do some nice chases etc with it. Movers as well. It can be controlled easily with a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI controller ($160) and I use a Roland UM-ONE MIDI to USB interface ($25) works great!

Hi Rob,

It looks like it is powered directly from the USB port - If so, how do you get power to it from your FCB1010 & Roland UM-ONE MIDI combo?

Thanks,
Bob

Jason Fultz

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »

Like Rob. This is the combo I use with great success. I also use a Akai MPC-26 with DMXis todo lighting for other bands.

Rob Gow

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »

Hi Rob,

It looks like it is powered directly from the USB port - If so, how do you get power to it from your FCB1010 & Roland UM-ONE MIDI combo?

Thanks,
Bob

DMXIS is software on the computer. The USB port powers the interface. The UM-ONE uses another USB port. I just run power to the FCB1010. There is a mod you can do that will send power down the MIDI cable but I haven't looked into it.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 04:38:26 PM »

DMXIS is software on the computer. The USB port powers the interface. The UM-ONE uses another USB port. I just run power to the FCB1010. There is a mod you can do that will send power down the MIDI cable but I haven't looked into it.
Hi Rob,

I did the mod for power down the MIDI cable to the FCB1010. :-)

My question was actually this: If you've got an FCB1010 connected to the Entec unit via the Roland UM-ONE, how does the Entec unit get power? That connection uses the only USB port on the Entec that I saw.

Sorry if I'm being unclear! :-)

I've got a LanBox LCM, but it's no longer made and the website seems to be not updated, so I'm checking other options.

Thanks!
Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Gow

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »

Ah yes, I get what you're asking now. There has to be a computer involved, either a PC or a Mac. The USB ports that the DMXIS hardware and the UM-One plug into are on the computer that will run the DMXIS software to program & operate the lights.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 06:00:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 5.118 seconds with 25 queries.