ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whirlwind W4 soldering  (Read 1154 times)

magnus söderman

Whirlwind W4 soldering
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:24:37 pm »

hi all !

is there anyone here that have some experience of soldering W4 back in the days ?   

I know that the soldering variant is more than 10 years old.  But order to save some money,
the company are gonna re-use these connectors.  I'm looking for tips for cable preparation etc. 
I already have the manual for the crimpconnectors.

Best regards

Magnus Söderman, Sweden

hugovanmeijeren

Re: Whirlwind W4 soldering
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:45:53 am »

Hi Magnus,

I have done some W4 soldering in the past. Last one was a couple of months ago actually.
It's not extremely hard to do and the preparation is the same as with any other (circular) multipin connector.

Make sure to strip the outer cover about 10-15 cm from the cable end to expose the individual pairs. I strip every individual pair for about 3cm. Put some heat shrink around the ground wire, so that only the part that you need to solder is exposed. Apply some heat shrink at the end of the stripped insulation of each pair (to cover the part where the insulation was stripped and where you can see the ground wire entering the insulation). I also apply heat shrink around every contact of the W4 as well.
Hugo van Meijeren

Doug Hammel

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 04:48:29 pm »

It has been many years, but i have done probably about 15-16 of those. I remember following the diagrams that whirlwind sent with the connectors, they are on their website also. It worked out well, make sure you take your time to get everything prepped well and then it is just time after that. I think it was about a day to do both ends once I got going. If you have any issues the Whirlwinds guys will help you out with tips on how to do it, great company.

hi all !

is there anyone here that have some experience of soldering W4 back in the days ?   

I know that the soldering variant is more than 10 years old.  But order to save some money,
the company are gonna re-use these connectors.  I'm looking for tips for cable preparation etc. 
I already have the manual for the crimpconnectors.

Best regards

Magnus Söderman, Sweden
Doug Hammel

dougcvaudio@gmail.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 04:48:29 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.