ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakon Snakes - why uncommon?  (Read 7246 times)

Will Cash

Speakon Snakes - why uncommon?
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »

Was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone and deliver power/audio via NL4MP through a snake. The only thing I see out there is Seismic for the most part - which I understand is shit.

Is there a reason that this is uncommon? Is there a more logical way to keep my power amps @ FOH than purchasing super-long speakon and bundling that with wherever I run the snake to?

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Speakon Snakes - why uncommon?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 04:42:35 PM »

Most people would rather keep the amps closer to the speakers.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

John Penkala

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »

Was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone and deliver power/audio via NL4MP through a snake. The only thing I see out there is Seismic for the most part - which I understand is shit.

Is there a reason that this is uncommon? Is there a more logical way to keep my power amps @ FOH than purchasing super-long speakon and bundling that with wherever I run the snake to?

The most common way is use NL8 breakouts for the audio. You could make your own snake with NL8's with a 12/3 or 10/3 power cable taped together. I don't recommend running your power through the NL8 even if they are rated for it. Use PowerCon or standard Edison for that. Incidentally,  I've seen proprietary hybrid setups using 19pin Socapex.

Will Cash

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »

Bad idea to run NL4 straight from amp to speaker?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »

Bad idea to run NL4 straight from amp to speaker?
As mentioned, amps are rarely kept at FOH.  Long speaker cables are undesirable for several reasons - Cost, weight, and power loss over the run.

Keep your amps stageside and wire them however is convenient.

NL4 straight from the amp to a speaker is fine.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:03:24 PM »

Why do you want to keep the amps at FOH?

The reason for keeping amps close to speakers is to minimize power loss. The low impedance of speakers means you need heavier gauge wire to keep the resistance of the cable significantly less than the impedance of the speaker.

http://www.cirris.com/learning-center/calculators/133-wire-resistance-calculator-table

Will Cash

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 05:08:51 PM »

Thanks for the knowledge and pardon the ignorance.

Amps @ FOH seems convenient because this a mobile setup and if the board could stay with the road case containing the amps it'd just simplify everything (seemingly).

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:17:31 PM »

Amps @ FOH seems convenient because this a mobile setup and if the board could stay with the road case containing the amps it'd just simplify everything (seemingly).

The more common approach for a simple mobile setup these days would be to use a digital console, keep it stage side in a rack with everything else, and mix FOH from a tablet. That way the mixer is always available if you need it in a pinch but most operations can be accomplished remotely.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 05:19:49 PM »

Most people find that one huge box with everything in it is harder to manage than a couple smaller cases.

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »

This is exactly one reason why people buy compact digital mixers. I myself have a few X32 racks that stay in the amp rack for a much simpler setup. Amps and mixer and wifi stay on stage in one rack, and I roam with an ipad. Easy deal! No snakes, no consoles. Just one rack on stage plus speakers, mics and stands and cables for everything and off we go...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.