ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: OA Windsor stage boxes - WOW  (Read 23821 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: OA Windsor stage boxes - WOW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 01:25:29 PM »

Tim was not snarky like I was. :) Juan, I was tongue-in-cheek pointing out that, like Tim stated, all of Jim's contact information was in his signature line.

Thanks for updating your name and such on here as well!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »

An update.... I just talked to Jim the other day about making a box for True1 Powercon connectors, and he's built two of them and sent them to me to try out. I already have True1 connectors and will mock up a few to show.

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:06:08 AM »

An update.... I just talked to Jim the other day about making a box for True1 Powercon connectors, and he's built two of them and sent them to me to try out. I already have True1 connectors and will mock up a few to show.
Man, I was just wondering whether anyone made a True1 "stringer" box. I'd love to get your feedback when you receive them.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »

Man, I was just wondering whether anyone made a True1 "stringer" box. I'd love to get your feedback when you receive them.

The prototype boxes shipped out on Monday, so I'm expecting them today. We're going to load them up tomorrow and try them out this weekend, if possible. I'll take pictures and get feedback from my crew.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 12:15:24 PM »

The prototype boxes shipped out on Monday, so I'm expecting them today. We're going to load them up tomorrow and try them out this weekend, if possible. I'll take pictures and get feedback from my crew.

The postman saw the look in my eyes and gave up the package without a struggle. Jim was kind enough to send three boxes to try out which is exactly how many True1 connectors I have in stock. The OAW boxes look terrific and the fit of the True1 connectors is perfect. We'll build them up tomorrow and test fly them over the weekend.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:42:07 PM by Mike Sokol »

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 12:55:05 PM »

The postman saw the look in my eyes and gave up the package without a struggle. Jim was kind enough to send three boxes to try out which is exactly how many True1 connectors I have in stock. The OAW boxes look terrific and the fit of the True1 connectors is perfect. We'll build them up tomorrow and test fly them over the weekend.

Look cool, Mike.

Still begs the question: The connectors are incapable of fitting 12ga SOOW or 12ga SEOOW.  The 3-jaw chuck will not take the wire and jacket and still fit into the barrel of the connector.  The cap/collet is of too small diameter to pass any 12GA SOOW that I have been able to find/research.  My experience is that 14ga SOOW (just) fits with lots of effort, and the 12ga SJOOW fits similarly.  Neither of these options are highly recommended by our own forum Oracles.

I've even tried reaming out the cap/collet to no avail, and then there is still the chuck problem.  Any modification to either the cap/collet or chuck would negate the UL listing of the device methinks.

One thing I noticed when converting the euro power cables QSC supplies with their speakers to a 5-15p, their cable is constructed without any fiber (fibre?) fillers?  If the US 12ga SOOW were constructed without the filer (or minimal filler) maybe that would work.  Is ther such a US aminal?

It was obvious to me that Neutrik did not consider the needs of the US market when they produced this series of connectors.  Too bad, they seem a step up from the blue/white Powercons.

Second, separate subject. (and a request once I finish babbling on...)
I started making up my Power drops right around the time Ken passed. During that time, OA Windsor was not an option.

I used the Leviton boxes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDSEOK/ref=pd_sim_60_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KY2HAMAMMAYHJ8DFP7Q8

The 2-E boxes with the larger collet for my 10ga SEOOW cords, and the 1-E boxes for 12 ga.
I outfitted them with GFCI 5-20R outlets, one each side, wired in parallel with no pass through.

The cover plate I used are also from Leviton:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5GBKHK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One can use these in either a 2-screw attachment, or six screw attachment.  They work very well.

I asked Jim at OA Windsor whether these plates were compatible with his boxes, and offered to test-fit on a sample box, to which I got no response.  No problem. Lots to do to pick up a business.

So my question to you, Mike (or anyone else who wants to experiment) - can you see if these coverplates are workable on the OA Windsor boxes?  I know some folks here on this forum are interested in GFCI devices in rubber boxes - and that is one product OA Windsor has not been able to supply so far (in my experience, which is about a year old, now)

frank

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »

I don't know about the new Powercons, but I believe that 12-3SO will fit into the old ones if you grind the flare off of the chuck (10-3SJ fits, which I think is the same OD as 12-3SO).

Mike Sokol

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »

Still begs the question: The connectors are incapable of fitting 12ga SOOW or 12ga SEOOW.  The 3-jaw chuck will not take the wire and jacket and still fit into the barrel of the connector.  The cap/collet is of too small diameter to pass any 12GA SOOW that I have been able to find/research.  My experience is that 14ga SOOW (just) fits with lots of effort, and the 12ga SJOOW fits similarly.  Neither of these options are highly recommended by our own forum Oracles.

And that's the $64,000 question. I've talked to a number of local inspectors in Maryland, and they're OK with SJOOW for back-line stringers because it's not out in the crowds and not connected directly to a generator that could be set for 480/277 volts. So primary and secondary multi-phase distro cable really needs to be SOOW, but secondary 1P stringers "might" be able to get by with SJOOW depending on the AHJ. According to one of my wire manufacturing contacts, it's not possible to make SOOW any smaller in diameter, since the outer diameter is part of the spec.

However, I'm going to talk to my contacts at Neutrik to see if there's the possibility of a larger cap/collet for 12-gauge SOOW cable. 

Nils Erickson

• San Francisco
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 12:10:06 AM »

I don't know about the new Powercons, but I believe that 12-3SO will fit into the old ones if you grind the flare off of the chuck (10-3SJ fits, which I think is the same OD as 12-3SO).

I have a lot of 12/3 SO powercon cable that I use with these OA Windsor boxes all of the time (yes, it fits fine)... they work great, and I get lots of comments on what a good solution it is.  It is a moderate pain the bit about not disconnecting under load.

Curious to see how your true one solution works...

Nils

Jim Spohn

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »

I found your web site and discovered that this is the OA Winsor that I thought it is. I am glad to see the company is back and now under your ownership. I am trying to convince a company I work with to update their Quad boxes and some of your other boxes look interesting. How does one find pricing? Are you planning on making a web site that one can order your products thru?

Kevin,

Sorry for the silence. I haven't gone on the forums for an obviously long time.

Hopefully this winter there will be time to work on the new website. PSW patrons and others have been keeping me so busy that I just haven't been able to catch up or feel the need to re make the site.

Yes, I hope to get at least a better presence by the spring, although with all the different wiring options and configurations, it is most often necessary to talk to the customer in person.

Thanks so much,  Sincerely,  Jim Spohn OA Windsor
Jim Spohn
OAWindsor.com
307-674-8228
[email protected]
30469 S. Ditmore Road
Worley, ID 83876

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.