ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not Presonus  (Read 18277 times)

Brian Charbobs

Re: Why not Presonus
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »

Rob,
Do you know if the RM16AI has the same "recallability"? Most all of the shows I do don't require more than 16 channels. I was thinking that since they are chainable, I could get another one. I was also looking at the CS18 as well. Thanks for the input.

Also thanks to all for the weighing in on this. Lots of food for thought!!!

I had the Presonus 1602. Bought it used from Guitar Center and Thank God bought the extended warranty.
Not sure who had it more, me or the repair center. I liked how it worked when I did use it, but after it broke down the last time they bought me out, it just was not worth fixing again. So I am a little gun shy about the Presonus.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:43:35 AM »

Hi John,

> > Why not Presonus AI or the RM version?

Since you are considering the RM, you may want to take a look at the Mackie DL32R.

Works well for me.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:54 AM »

I've worked on the SL a few times. I really didn't like the work flow at all. It was confusing to me. It was easier to mix with an IPad than the mixer. :o

To me, the build quality just wasn't very good either. All the knobs and faders felt cheap.

Pat Talbot

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 09:51:37 AM »

Rob,
Do you know if the RM16AI has the same "recallability"? Most all of the shows I do don't require more than 16 channels. I was thinking that since they are chainable, I could get another one. I was also looking at the CS18 as well. Thanks for the input.

John...it does...Just fewer channels, other than that, it's the same feature set.  If you need to grow later, you can get a second RM16AI to cascade and have a 32 channel mixer.

Rob Gow

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 10:01:10 AM »

Rob,

As stated above you can chain 2 together, 2 RM16AI's, 1 RM16AI & a RM32AI, or 2 RM32AI's as well.

They do have recallable preamps. You can save different scenes. As a band I have a different scene for each venue we play. So once you're set up, everything mic'd you're about 90% done. The mics will never be placed in the exact same position so you might have to tweak things a bit but everything will be really close to ready to go.

Myself, we generally use 16 channels in our band.

1:kick
2:snare
3:floor Tom
4:lowtom
5:medium Tom
6:hi tom
7: empty or MC mic
8:bass
9:guitar left
10:guitar right
11: acoustic DI
12:keys DI
13:vocals 1
14:vocals 2
15:vocals 3
16:vocals 4

Then I use channels 16&17 for iTunes. When deciding on the mixer between the RM16AI or the RM32AI, for the few hundred extra you get 16 more channels & 8 more Aux's. I forgot to mention there's also DCA groups which are handy from a mix point.

http://youtu.be/el-JXg-xXu8

We played a new hall in a different town. I selected a scene that was from a similar sized hall. We use Some Kind of Wonderful as one of our soundcheck songs. I dialed in the mix out front and was on stage playing by the time my lead came around. Our bass players wife was impressed at how fast we had everything dialed in.

The new RML16AI is the newest one for sale which also includes 8 combination XLR/Line inputs.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:05:28 AM by Rob Gow »

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

I have several of the PreSonus Products and have not had one problem.

I have a 16 & 24 channel original version. A 24 and 32 AI series. 1 RM16AI and 2 - RM32AI's.

I usually have my son mixing monitors on stage. He tells me he's kinda "old skool" and prefers mixing on the 32 channel mixer instead of the IPad. I mix FOH on the IPad Air. Most of the time I split mics between the 32AI and the RM32AI. That gives me gain control on the IPad.

We also have some of the Presonus powered speakers. They work very well.

I also own 2 M7's, 2 LS932's and a DM1000 and a few small Mackies.

They do the job they are intended to do.

Buy what works for you.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »

We have one of the original PreSonus 1642's...never have had a problem with it except a few locations where we had bad power, and the mixer rebooted but never lost settings. A few channels are starting to lose gain compared to the others, after 5 years of use. I too am debating a new console...most likely leaning toward an X32 based solution but still thinking about it. Seems like the RM series is the best thing PreSonus has going for it right now, and some of their fanboys rave about the sound quality for the price. 

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 01:38:37 PM »

My concern...try getting Presonus on the phone. They are flooded out down there now but even before that the support process was maddening!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:57:58 PM by John Chiara »

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »

I'm a full time service tech and occasional soundie, and have developed a profound loathing for the Presonus SL mixers. The faders are purest crap, I've replaced hundreds of them. The protection around the mic pres (little zener diodes) goes lame at the first whiff of an inadvertently plugged in unbalanced XLR while the phantom is hot and the channel sounds bad. The firewire boards die with monotonous regularity when hot plugged (and are an absolute PITA to replace). The main ADC/DAC board in the 1642 just turns up its toes for no good reason and turns the thing into a brick. The power supplies break, but not as often as all that other stuff.
I rushed out and bought a 2442 when they first came on the market (before I discovered all that stuff above). Never warmed to it, got rid of it and bought an X32. Much happiness with X32.
M

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:15 AM »

I've had multiple failures with different Presonus 16.4.2 and I regularly work at a club that installed a 24.4.2.  The 24 is about 3 years old now and it's faders are failing.  It does get used 5 nights a week, which probably wasn't the market the engineers were thinking about when they designed to the price point, but still...

My Soundcraft Si3 has been more reliable for me.  Plus, I like the sound quality and UI more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:15 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.