ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uplighting performers  (Read 3087 times)

John Roll

Uplighting performers
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:02:06 PM »

I currently have 4 Jellypars mounted to a tree that I currently use for the front of the stage. There are usually 3-4 performers (band) up front that I need to get light on. I'm not happy about this set up and was wondering if using the fixtures to uplight (1 per performer) the personnel instead of a blanket stage wash. What do you think?
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

veditor78

Re: Uplighting performers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:30:08 PM »

This will be what your performers will look like.

From above is much better. Maybe get another tree and put 2 pars on each. That will give a more even wash.
Josh Rawls

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »

Unless it is a Munsters cover band, don't do it. Footlights were first used very long time ago, and the electric ones were a safety improvement over open flames of the originals. You don't see them used in modern performances.

Having enough, and intense enough, instruments to do cross-lighting from above (30-60 degrees above and to the sides; 45 is great) will keep the performers lit and not "flattened out" as opposed to lights that are squarely in front of each position.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »

I only use uplighting on actors as an absolute last resort - usually when I cannot place fixtures anywhere else to get a decent front fill.  Even then, I try to spread them out on the sides and aim towards center stage.  Diffusion can help to soften the beam a little and reduce the dramatic shadow effect on the face, but it won't eliminate it.  It sounds to me like you just need more fixtures and work to place them as Mark described.  Four Jelly Pars is hardly enough to hit your critical angles with! 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »

3 point lighting   one on rear for 3D.    45 degree angle is your friend.   
Light come in from 45 to the front and down 45 from the top to simulate the sun.
the 45 angles also allow the artist to see the audience (not blinded by the lights).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.